Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm too scared, and think I will try it myself.

The closer I get, the more frightened I get. I've never had surgery before. This would be a first and I'm not in my twenties. Too old, too scared. I lost 100 pounds before. An illness and couch time made me gain it back. I think I will still enlist the help of a Docotor. Im also afraid that if I dont die from the surgery that ten years down the road I will die from complications of the surgery. Ive been trying to get a fix in my mind on what to expect of the surgery ten years down the road. Theres not enough known, for me.First I thought lapband, and didnt like the ten year outlook on that, plus the choking, puking, gas, trapped gas, etc, etc.,, and had been changing my mind. Then I thought the "sleeve", but over time too many variables.Im bummed because its going to be so friggin hard1 ahhhhhhhh! Thoughts? Sandy

Sandy..

I think all your fears and thoughts are normal....

I know I had all the same thoughts....I was thinking Im doing this to have a better life and be around for my children but in the back of my head....I was thinking omg what if I dont come out of this and then I leave my children now.....lets say the week befor banding I had my house in order....Im sure my family thought I just wanted it picked up so it be easyier when I came home....but it was more then that...Good Luck

Research the facts, not anecdotal evidence on forums and YouTube, and make a decision based on the facts.

One more thing to ask yourself: Statistically speaking, are you at greater risk of dying from obesity related illnesses or Lap Band band surgery? For most of us, the risk of death from obesity is MUCH higher.

Best wishes.

Sandy

I think your fears are normal and while there certainly are risks with any surgery, chances are you will come through this fine. That's why they do all of the pre-op testing! If you don't take off the excess weight, you're still a high risk for something happening to you. I too lost a great amount of weight by myself (not in a healthy way though) - 165 lbs only to do what I said I would never do - be fat again! It kills me to admit I need this kind of help, but I don't want to be big anymore. Do what is right for you, but remember life is full of risk. Good luck!

Love Mis73 and Dee's answers

Lap band surgery (and any other form of weight loss surgery really) is a LAST RESORT. I did it because i'm 23 and could not lose the weight EVER and I had tried for 10 years. I've been overweight my whole life and could no longer go on like this. If you can find any other (less drastic) way, then do that

And to add to Missy's point: DO NOT base your decision on what you see on YouTube. there is lots of misinformation about the risks and complications, and everyone has their own agendas

GOOD LUCK with your decision!!

And remember a lot of people only post on forums or on Youtube when things are going wrong, so things get badly skewed and if you only see the negatives, it does look bad and make it really scary. I had someone in my life that was very successful, now 3 years out, and it took me 2 years to decide to have this done and I've been overweight and trying to keep it off for a very long time. I understand your fears, but that is one of the reasons I had the lapband, this thing can be removed if I do happen to have complications.

Thanks, to you all. Ive got some decisions to make. I still have to do at least a 6 month diet anyway, so Ive got 6 months. I want this bad, but death is SOOoo friggin scarey. yall are very brave, or just reckless. you know who you are.LOL! Thanks again, very much! Sandy

It is something to think long and hard about - I know I did for a long time. I have a close friend that I helped and watched go through a gastric bypass several years ago, and realized that procedure was just not for me. At the time, I didn't think any procedure was for me. After many discussions with several different health professionals and research, I'm hoping that this will help. For me, this is an aid with weight control. I was a hard decision because I know I have to give up not only some foods that I love and crave, but many activities I enjoy that revolve around food. I pray that I will be successful. I chose lap-band since it is the least invasive and reversible if necessary.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck - it's a difficult journey for all of us.

Sandy

I agree, Sandy. It has to be right for you. After researching, if it is not, then best wishes on your surccessful weight loss with out lapband. Karen

Many of us have lost 100 lbs before, too, and gained it back. That is a good reason for the lapband!!!!

if you have lost 100 without the lapband Id love to hear how!

thanks Sandy!

I am 64 an d just got the band and I love it for the first time in my life my brain is under control no more self talk that tells me to eat. I can now chew longer and eat slower and I have had been able to do that in all the diet I have been on. it wasn't the diet it was the head, it was always craving food. The band works because it just at the never ending that tell you brain u r full at the first bit so in 20 mintues u r and u stay that way. For me it was the best thing I ever did and dieing isn't a fear for me God and I go hand in hand I need to do the work but He is with me. Good luck on the work ahead of you.

Thanks Linedancer,Particularly Great Post! Many good posts!

Sandy

I was 250 lbs at 40 years old. At 50 I was 377. I am 5'9...just like you. I found the band and I feel it bought me at least 30 more years on this earth. With out it I really believe I wouldn't have made to 60. And I was a healthy fat girl... But how much strain can the heart take?

You have some great advice on these posts... Best wishes making a decision which will work for you. Do the lap band or don't.... Just DO something.