Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catch Myself Comparing Myself to Others-not good!

I'm almost 6 months post op with lap band and 6 days post op with gallbladder surgery, was down 46 lbs before last Monday but since the hospital stay and an IV overnight I've gained 3 lbs, ugh! I've caught myself comparing myself to others on here and their weight loss success, seems like mine is slow or not enough for me, but on the otherhand I'm proud of that number. With that being said, I have not felt like exercising since lap band surgery because I have had such a time with nausea, pain in back, vomiting off/on and gallstones and just now getting my gallbladder taken out this past week, another set back. I thought lap band surgery was hard enough, boy this has kicked my butt bouncing back. The pain meds are keeping me constipated, I know, just what you wanted to hear huh? and I've had to result in drinking Mag. Citrate on Wed. and tonight to get things moving. Today was the first day I went without a pain pill, woohoo, I think I'm on the mend. I had complications during surgery, lost a lot of blood, the surgeon said my gallbladder was so diseased, then he had to cut it away from my liver which resulted in excessively bleeding that he had to get stopped, ended up with a drainage tube in my side overnight in the hospital and it was suppose to have been a same day surgery. I feel like I'm starting all over again. My lap band surgeon did my gallbladder surgery, he took 2cc's out of my band in order to prepare for surgery and right now, at this moment I could eat this house! I don't see him again till the 20th at which time I'm sure he will do a fill of some sort. Anyway, just had to vent thanks for listening.

Feeling like a failure!

I read here and other groups I belong to about people who are "FAILURES"

AND YOU"RE NOT ONE OF THEM.....

You're just getting your new life in order, setting up a stronger foundation....

As far as comparing oneself to others, I do it all the time....since last year I have been observing the eating habits and behaviours of "Skinny" people....what they eat and drink.....and that is now MY lifestyle as well....

So we learn by others examples.....and you are not a example of some loosers (and I don't mean weight) you read about......

6 months...you'll be fine....

Donna, I'm sorry you've had a difficult journey so far. You're on the mend now and can finally get to where you need to with the lapband. I don't see you as a failure, look what you have had to endure the last six months and you're still marching on and you should be proud of your loss so far. You're a champ in my eyes.

Now the going to the toilet part is a problem, I was the same and constantly taking over the counter meds/liquids to make me go along with awful tummy pains. I tried the benefibre and that worked for a few weeks. I was getting desperate for a more natural approach so I started eating about half a cup to a cup some days of fruit salad every day, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sometimes a few slices of banana, mango and always a kiwi fruit thrown in. I've read that the kiwi is like a natural laxative and its a super fruit with lots of goodies in it. Since I've been doing that I go every day with no problems minus the tummy pains. I count it into my Portion Control and as part of my treat I'm allowed every day. I was making chocolate my treat but I actually missed my fruit more. Maybe try kiwi on its own if you like the fruit for a few days and see if that helps.

Stay strong you're on the mend now even if slowly!!

I have been banded since October 19th and have lost 19 lbs since surgery day. I consider my weight loss slow compared to others but I am happy to have it come off the way it is.

I also had heartburn before my band that I found out was due to a hiatal hernia. It was repaired during my surgery and my heartburn has disappeared.

I can sympathize with you because I had gall bladder surgery (but it iwas a couple of years ago) and like you had to have a drain put in. I had it for a week. That was the worst week of my life due to pain and the fact that I couldnt sleep with the drain and pouch hanging outside my body.

Hang in there because you are doing really well despite what you have been through. It will get better.

Sending lots of hugs your way.

Donna... keep a positive attitude. Compare yourself to yourself pre-surgery. Not every little thing can be a downer.

just getting on here today as I've not felt well today and also taking care of my sick 73 yr old mother today too while on the mend. Thank you all so very much for the uplifting words they meant and mean so much to me. Guess I was just feeling down. And I guess we all will compare ourselves to other people from time to time and it will get better. I take your words to heart, thanks again.

Donna