Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

depression and lapband

Hi! I suffer from major depression and on three antidepressants. I wonder if the upcoming lapband surgery diet (liquids) will make me more depressed.

Anybody care to respond?

jillia

Jillia,

I can only tell you what happen to me... I did go through some very tough times with depression. I have had some major moods swings. I have been weepy and very angry at different times.

But the up side is I made it through it. The support I have gotten here is wonderful.

Good luck, I wish you nothing but the best!

Hi Jill, I don't have major depression (God bless you) but I do have dysthimia (sp?) which is mild pervasive depression. I'll tell you how I feel but I wouldn't generalize to anyone else---we are all so different. I've learned that my depression is directly linked to my hormones. For example, when I am pregnant, I am so happy-go-lucky and optimistic. When my hormones are wacky (post pregnancy, starvation/ caloric restriction) I am a major cry-baby. For the past couple of days I have been feeling so sad and depressed. I am continuing on my Wellbutrin but I may need something else to help during this time. My weight loss is going so much slower than everyone elses and I am really really hungry---not just wanting munchies (although I want that too) but hungry. I am getting at least 50grams of Protein per day but I really think I need more carbs. Actually, I don't know what I need. I guess I thought the band would help but I'm wondering if it was just a waste of money. I'm also irritable and just plain sad. Sorry everyone! I think I'll take a break from the group for a while until I feel better. I really don't like spreading bad feelings around.

Hi,

I think it's pretty common to go through a brief period of depression after any surgery, but it's usually transient. I did but now six weeks out I feel great; no depression issues at all. I also am on Wellbutrin and find that it is fantastic. You may want to check about upping your dosages during the period right after surgery, if you are not already on the maximum dose.

I'm taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin for depression but didn't have any issues post surgery. I think we all go through a period of mourning for our "good friend" food. This is a major lifestyle change, and change is scary, even when it's something we want so much.

Emily

Ravens, don't take a break! That's what we're here for! :) (( Big ol' bandster hug!! )) We all have our ups & downs, let's just pray we're not all down the same day! :)

Give your band time... get 2-3 fills in you & see how it's working then. I know it STINKS (!!) to have to wait that long on faith, but restriction is going to be awesome!

For me, I've definitely felt moody since banding. Post-op depression is a documented side-effect of surgery. Any major life change can cause depression. And every time I've dieted I've gotten depressed & had mood swings. Throw all those things together & you're looking at some issues! But I've got to hang onto the hope that we're going to come out on the other side & it's going to be worth it!!

Good luck, Jillia! Let us know if we can help!

I think that the emotional sides of food restrictions (for over eaters) and calorie restriction (for anyone) play havoc with emotions. Raven & Jiliia what you are both experiencing & wondering about can be very legitimate problems for bandsters. Raven -- stick around and give your band some more time. It looks like you're a newbie if your dates are right, and remember, one of the "benefits" of the band is slower, healthier weight loss than with bypass. we're all here to support you in the difficult times. Maybe you need to rethink your expectations a little, but look at the weight loss you've acheived in a short time. If you keep it up, you'll be at goal by summer! Jillia....my Doc recommended keeping all meds at status quo following surgery as your bod has so many OTHER things to deal with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! BUT, that having been said, if you are struggling post surgery I would call the Doc IMMEDIATELY. God made pharmaceuticals for a reason and if you're going to be taking them, there's no sense taking ones that aren't working correctly -- get them tweaked...........just try to listen to your body.......Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Hi Jillia,

I have suffered with depression all of my life, starting in my young

adolescence. It's actually getting worse and worse. I am not on any anti-depressants because I can't find one that I can tolerate.

I want to keep searching though, and am afraid to with the lap band, because sometimes vomiting can happen.

My advice is not to change any of your meds following your surgery. I take effexor for depression and have been continually improving each day. My depression was directly related to my obesity and the anxiety that I had from constantly worrying about what the obesity was going to do to my body (ie diabetes, etc). Once you start seeing the weight come off, you will feel better physically and mentally. Yes, you might "miss" food since many of us used food for emotional support. But when you start feeling better and your self esteem improves because you look better, your depression will improve also. Just remember, take it slow. There will be challenges but think about the future and what an improvement the band will be for your health.

I was banded in January and have lost 35 pounds. I don't have the dread I used to have when I got up each morning. Think of it as a challenge to do the best that you can possibly do for YOU. Put yourself first and look at the positive step you are making by going through the banding procedure. Think positive and the rest will follow. Best of luck!

Jillia

Hi! I too am on antidepressants. The surgury nor the the liquid diet added to depression. I was banded 3/29/06 and am doing fine with my emotions but am still somewhat sore. Back to the liquid diet, choices like broth, yogurt, and cottage cheese will help keep the medicine down just fine. Good Luck! Stelis2

Hello all,

I just wanted to chime in on the subject, I too have a history of depression, and found myself feeling really depressed after surgery, even though the recovery was way better than I expected.

I think part of the depression is directly related to the surgery (as in many people suffer a little depression after major medical procedure) But i also think some of the depression is because of the lack of weight-loss after STARVING yourself for three weeks. I was banded on 4/3 after being on a 10 day liquid diet. I started back on the liquid diet after being on a clear liquid diet yesterday, I have consumed less than 1000 calories a day and I have only lost 11 lbs. I too, am hungry, and the last two days I have indulged in foods i shouldn't eat (telling myself If i chewed them to mush, what 's the difference) then I panic about the possibility that I may have messed up my lapband somehow, vow to stick to liquids, only to do it again! what is wrong with me? I paid out of pocket $14,000 for this surgery and I am messing it up. Someone please tell me that if I don't stick to the diet i will ruin my surgery. Maybe if I hear it from someone else I will believe it. I was so gung-ho on this, and I keep messing up. This my friends , is why I think I am depressed. (duh...) Maybe confession is good for the soul and after sharing with all of you, I will be better.

I don't know what I will do if I don't make this work...

There are times that anti-depressants are a major help (especially through trial and error of finding the right one). It is a known fact that some anti-depressants cause you to be more hungry, so there is a chance Wellbutrin may possibly (I say possibly) be the cause of your hunger. It takes a couple weeks for anti-depressants to really get into your body and make any difference, but sometimes it's tough finding just the right one for your needs. I take Celexa which works great for me, but probably wouldn't work the same for others. Wellbutrin is truly an older anti-depressant and is also used to help stop smoking (I don't know if it works or not). Talk to your dr. and tell him about your feelings of hunger and ask if it may be related to your anti-depressant. Perhaps he will taper you off and switch you to something else. Good luck. I have clinical depression, and Celexa helps it a lot, but there is no magic formula for depression. A lot of it is what has occurred in your life that can't be changed, and there's no magic for it. I hope you find something to help you. I don't know about the band causing depression because I'm not yet banded, but I'm sure it's tough to give up some of the foods you love.

I was a little bit more depressed than usual during the initial week of the liquid diet, just because of the headache. During week two of Protein, my mood improved (I think it was the stabilizing of my blood sugar). Since then, things have only gotten rosier. Of course my depression is minor and due to the social stigma of obesity. Check with your doc regarding med changes with the band. Lots of luck.