Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters

Hello all,

My name is Caroline and i’m from Sherbrooke Canada. First of all I would like to appologize for any spelling or grammar errors as english is not my first language. So to make a long story short, i’ve been waiting to get my gastric band since 2010. Here in canada our health system is not the greatest so it is hard to find a doctor, and when you do get one, its usually a LONG process. So for 2+ years I have been monitored by the Obesity Clinic here in town to prepare for WLS. For those 2 years I was in a Gastric Bypass program (suggested by my doctor) but I have recently changed my mind for the band. For me, the band is the way to go. I just couldn’t accept the malabsorbsion part and the nutrient deficiency that comes with GB. And its not like I have 200-300+ pounds to lose either so all of these are factors (among others) that convinced me to go for the band. I have been ready for this now for a few months. I’ve documented myself as much as I could, and still do, to prepare myself for what’s coming and came across this site. A lot of information here!!! Very helpfull. My final pre-op appointment is dec.21st and then they should explain my pre-op diet and confirm a surgery date. So technically, by my calculations, I should be operated sometime in January or February at the latest. Any of you are scheduled around those dates? Any of you from Canada or the province of Québec?

Looking forward to talk with all of you!

Caroline

Welcome to the site! I will be banded end of January, early Febuary at the lastest.

I am also new to the site hello and I'm looking at a date of April

Wow I didn't see January just 2013 lol

It's okay, welcome and congrats!

Wow! I thought it was tough here with all the new insurance laws! I will be banded Dec.14 here in Tampa, Florida. I have Medicare and was not required to wait! I wish you the best! I do have a lot of weight to lose, I should weigh 150 lbs. And weigh 286. If you would like to keep in touch, you could, I would like that! My husband and children are very supportive, do you have good support?

I heard at my surgeons office that the Medicare patients here have a 4 year waiting list because Medicare will only psy for the surgery at a program that is Center of Excellence and I think there is only one currently in Oregon.

Hello agan, sorry for my late reply, I had computer problems in the last couple days. Yes, our health care in canada is not the most reliable to say it politely. About 75% of the population does not have a family doctor and are on a neverending list to get one. Anyway, long story. :-/. So this process for me actually started 4 years ago after It (WLS) was suggested by my endocrinologist. It took about 2 years for the obesity clinic to take me in. And I was initially supposed to be operated in september. It got pushed back to October, then november, then december and now january. Hopefully it will happen in january.

As for support, the only person I have right now is my husband. But again only my parents, my husband's parents and siblings know. I have chosen to keep it private for now. I am still debating if I will tell the rest of my family.

Alcmnch01, I would really enjoy keeping in touch, for now, besides hubby, this site is my support for now. Just reading some of the posts from others helps...