Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does My Restriction Go Away After A Week Post Fills?

Hello!! New here!! I am looking for answers, so I hope someone can help me. I have had 3 fills. Fill #1 was great, I felt restriction the first time around. It lasted for a week and then the restriction went away. So I had another fill. Fill # 2 was even better, more restriction, but it only lasted 9 days. So I had another fill. Fill # 3, I was sure would be my green zone fill at 6 cc's in my 10 cc band. The restriction was even greater and I had 100% signs of being in my green zone according to the chart above. BUT.... 2 WEEKS to the day after my fill, my restriction went away!! I am not restricted at all again. Why is this happening? I am worried my band is leaking. I know restriction can vary day to day or hour to hour... but it has been 2 days now, and I dont think my restriction will be coming back. I dont see my doc for another week. This mystery is driving me crazy and I have been doing so great. I dont want to fall off track and lose control of my portions. Is this normal for my restriction to subside like this. I thought your fills last longer than a week or two. - Amber

I have had 2 fills first one 5cc then 2 cc same thing after a week hungry too soon. I have read here tho it can take a while and each of us different so hoping my next one does the trick for a bit longer at least

I have a 10 cc band and 6.5 cc in it now and it has lasted 3 weeks I am very pleased. yesterday was the first day I got hungry and thought on no here I go again but today it is fine hopefully yours will to or go in for a .5 cc .

There could be several reasons for your problem.

1. Yes, could be a leak?

2. You may get swollen from the fill which creates a much tighter stoma. Then the swelling/edema goes away leaving you with less restriction.

3. We've had many posters here who have similar experiences but as time goes along they confess they're eating lasagna, chinese food, hamburger helper and other slider foods. Not saying you do this but what are you eating?

4. Fat surrounding your stomach may squeeze away or slip away leaving the band with less to push against. The result is less restriction.

Your doctor should know and there's no harm in asking for a visit sooner than 2 weeks?

tmf

Thank you for the replies!! I am glad I am not the only one!

In repsonse to 2muchfun. I am eating the right foods according to my road map my doctors office gave me. I am serious about this journey, and am the type of person to always give 100% to what ever it is that I am trying to achive. So no cheating on my part. Even 10 weeks post op, I still do not even drink anything with sugar. I am sticking to my shakes, high protiens, steamed veggies etc. I have noticed when I am at my highest restriction ( when I am restricted) even slider foods wont go down (like pudding or jello).

Who knows. LOL. I see my doc on Monday. I hope she can shine some light on this roller coaster I am on. I asked for a barium swallow. So I hope that will show whats going on. I have heard of " phyco" bands that are up and down up and down. I am sure everything will be fine... I'm just a little frustrated.

If your doctor requires you to drink Protein that is OK, but at this stage you should be getting your Protein from chicken, fish, beef, lean meats not processed. shakes are a slider food and you will feel hungry after drinking one. Foods like meats and veggies fill that upper pouch and seem to create that effect that stimulates the vagus nerve giving you the satiation sensation?

You probably already know this but for those who are new and don't know, Protein Shakes or any liquid will not satisfy most of us. Solid foods work best with the band if you seek satiation(again, for most of us).

tmf