Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Pain Questions

Hi All,

Yesterday I picked up a 23 lbs thing of kitty litter and last night and today my port area is bothering me. Especailly during the night. I had to get up and take some tylenol.

I was told by the nurse releasing me at the hospital not to lift more than 20 lbs for 2 weeks, which I didn't. I was banded on March 13th.

Now I'm worried I may have done something to it.

I'm also supposed to massage my mom tonight (I am a certified therapist) and wondering if I should even do that.

My port still gets sore when I do any kind of stomach straining activities. I'd take it easy for a few days and see if it gets better.

My doctor said do not lift anything over 20lbs for 6 weeks because of the healing process so take it careful for alittle longer. Even after 6 weeks I still had some burning sensation around the port. Nothing to really fret over unless it contines. You could pop a stitch by lifting too much or too soon.

Angie C.

4-15-04

-110lbs

They told me 2 weeks!

I feel so stupid!! I better call. What happens if you pop a stitch?

What if I have to have surgery again??! Oh my god.

STupid stupid stupid.

You are fine, the port is attached to the abdomonal wall which is muscle. You just strained it a little. (even 11 months out from my surgery I have done it.)

Dont worry yourself about it at all..... If it continues to hurt for a few days, then I would call Dr. Abkin or at least Linda at the offices.

If it still worries you. Linda is in the office today call her, she returns calls I promise ,and have her set your mind at ease.

You're doing good girlie :) 17 lbs so far how wonderful.

Oh I do hope you are right Alexra!

I'm waiting on a call back from Dr. Bertha now. I wasn't even thinking when I moved the kitty litter. Gah!!

Thanks for the congrats. And YOU, by the way, you look incredible in your signature picture.

Just to update you, the doc thinks I just pulled at it and should take it easy for a few days.

I actually have a reffering pain on my right side too, in my ribs.

Hey is it normal to feel discomfort in the port area when breathing in? I'll be one month post op on the 13th.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. Today I bent over to pickup my Tennis Shoes and my port pinched my belly. OUCH! That port sure is a nuisance!

You will adjust to the port being there. I had to change my laundry technique but it's old hat now. And the port area WILL be sore if you strain something. "Sore", "discomfort", are different from PAIN. Tylenol and rest are great solutions for sore though. PAIN warrants a call to the doc. "Sore" should be gone in a day or two, or at least get better daily.

...and I would have thought you loved all animals small and large Jack just because you seem so jolly all the time. I've had two cats and it is a nuisance with the litter boxes, but they are so much fun to love on.

Leener, don't stress. You probably just picked up more than you should have and it's just tender. I'm sure in a couple days you will be fit as a fiddle. Congrats on the weight loss.:)

It's been a learning process for me as well. I am almost 5wks post op now and I have had two or three moments of sudden discomfort that remind me to be more careful. A day or so and all is well.

Okay, just a question/observation.

My port has more discomfort at night and in the morning. It keeps me in a light sleep. As I move around and the day goes on it feels much better.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?