Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Fill Me Up

I'm still pre-op and here's my question: I know that in the long run many people say not to use Protein Shakes because they're liquid, go straight through the band and won't fill you up. But even pre-banded, my Protein shakes fill me up! Mine are home made with Protein Powder, spinach and frozen fruits. If it fills me up now, won't it fill me up faster after surgery?

I'm 2 1/2 years post banding and make Protein Shakes 3-4 times a week. I usually make way too much in the blender (still haven't figured out the right proportion of ingredients) i use onenof those Rubbermaid sippy cups for toddlers with the straw removed. Takes a good 45-60 mins for me to finish the one cup portion but They do fill me up. I take small sips, not more than 1 pull on the opening.

Guess we're all different.

My doctor insists on Protein shakes. He says they fill you up instead of eating too much.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

My doc has told me no Protein Shakes as I am now starting solids. He says they are empty calories.

I guess it depends on what kind of Protein Shake it is and what's in it. There's no way mine are empty calories!

I guess it depends on what kind of Protein shake it is and what's in it. There's no way mine are empty calories!

That's what I thought too so it surprised me. Thanks!

1 thing to consider is you are putting vegetables and fruit in the Protein Shake as well. I was on my own pre op diet and I did include fruit as well. Post op however my doctor explicitly said not to include fruit. Keep in mind adding fruit is probably 30-100 extra calories. So sure a shake with extra calories is going to keep you full longer. In general doctors want you eating solid foods because they keep you full longer. In general now that I'm at restrictions I can go 5 hours plus before I'm hungry. Even at restriction however a shake isn't going to hold me that long.

My doctor doesn't believe in Protein Shakes once you start eating food. I told him sometimes I drink a shake at breakfast and lunch Mon-Friday then a good dinner. He told me to wean off the shakes due to too many calories. I was shocked but I still continue to drink 2 shakes a day and I've lost close to 75 pounds, 34 prior to band on Aug 6 and the rest after the band.

I was told a lot of people do shakes in the morning because their bands are tighter. I was told not to rely on them all the time. It is important to eat high Protein solid foods. I would love your recipe along with calories,fat and protein if you have it. I never stay full with shakes yogurt and cottage cheese.< /p>

I use Designer whey which Take first thing in the morning to kick start your metabolism OR Take 20 minutes after a workout to help recover and build muscle OR Take mid-morning or mid-afternoon to curb cravings. It definitely curbs my appetite

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk