Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Or Not

I'm trying to decide if I should get one more fill or not....I can go hours without being hungry. I can eat more than a cup with no problems. I have felt pressure or tightness while a too large of bite went down.

How did you know u were good to go?

Here's the thing, if you are satisfied with 2/3 to 1 cup of food for 4 hours then no you do not need a fill. You do however need to be mindful and stay within the 2/3 to 1 cup (most doctors even say 1/2 to 2/3) so it is wise to measure. The band isn't suppose to keep you from eating healthy foods although it will keep you from eating foods that ball up like bread and rice after you have a few fills. The bands job is saiety (probably spelled that incorrectly) with a small amount of food which it sounds like it is doing for you. However if you really feel you need a fill then talk to your bariatics person who should recommend the proper course for you such as a fill or holding off from a fill. This is my opinion and I hope it helps.

I have asked my nut this and surgen...

they tell me...if you can eat more then a half of a lean cusian meal...and get hungry with in 3 to 4 hrs....ou could use a fill...unless you are loosing,,,,then be happy with that......

I don't know how the rest of your physicians do follow up but for the first year I saw my WLS regularly every 3 months. At my check up I did the lap band questioner and from that we determined if I needed a fill. After one year I see him every 8 months weighter I need a fill or not. What does everyone else do? I guess I just thought this was normal process. If it were me I would talk to my doctor, if you are losing weight, you probably don't need a fill. Some days I can eat more than a cup of food and some days I can barely eat a cup of food but of course I am on maintenance. Personally I hate fills, I hate the process of not know if it is going to be to tight or just right. I struggled with my last fill and it took me 3 weeks before I was finally able to eat again and I hope and pray I can maintain without one. So in answer to your question, do the questioner on Lapband site and go from there.

Hi LoveTheNewMe, would you mind sending a link to this questionnaire you are referring to, I did not have any luck with finding it? I don't get asked too may questions about fills when I go in, but it may be that I go in telling them about time between hunger and thinking I need a fill, but I only like little fills at this point (fear of being too tight). I have my 4th fill coming up this Thursday and I am getting hungry before 4 hours on 1 cup of food, so I think I need one, but I'm interested in the questions as well.

Yes, I would like to see the questions too!

wow ....I to have to fill out the questionare....I would of thought every one did...

it ask in the last month how many times you are certain foods....how many times you got stuck....and how long between meals were you hungry...

Id ask the doctor for one....

Ok, I went to the Lapband site and could not find it, these are the majority of the questions on the form:

1. What I ate the past 24 hours.

2. How often do I exercise.

3. There are 3 lists of foods and I have to circle the ones that I am able to eat and eat most often.

4. What did I eat in the past 24 hours.

5. How soon after I eat am I hungry again.

6. Do I drink with meals.

7. Am I satisfied after eating and how long does it take me to eat.

8. What size plate of food do I eat.

May answers to these questions help me and my surgeon decide if I need a fill. I have only had 3 fills in two years and lost 122lbs. I still do my regular six months follow up appointments. I have an appointment on Dec 3rd and will get a form, if anyone is interested PM me and I will send you the form. also below if from the orginal Lapband site, if you have never watched the video's or read some of the articles I highly recommend them. I am very OCD and when i was first banded read everything I could about the band, I wanted to be well informed and understand how this band was suppose to work so I could be successful.

This is a blurb from the Lapband site:

The most common reason for adjustments are:

You are not able to eat much of anything without experiencing discomfort, reflux (heartburn), or vomiting. Your band may be too tight (you may be in the Red Zone).

You are able to eat without restriction. Your band may be too loose (you may be in the Yellow Zone).

You are not losing weight. Your band may be too loose (Yellow Zone) or too tight (Red Zone) — meaning you may be able to eat too much or can only tolerate a liquid diet.

It’s important you listen to your LAP-BAND® and work with your bariatric team to achieve your desired weight loss. Learn more about the Green Zone

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Hi LoveTheNewMe, would you mind sending a link to this questionnaire you are referring to, I did not have any luck with finding it? I don't get asked too may questions about fills when I go in, but it may be that I go in telling them about time between hunger and thinking I need a fill, but I only like little fills at this point (fear of being too tight). I have my 4th fill coming up this Thursday and I am getting hungry before 4 hours on 1 cup of food, so I think I need one, but I'm interested in the questions as well.

Getting hungry may mean you need a fill or you may need to increase your Protein to sustain you longer. How much protein are you eating with each meal. If your meals are not 20 plus grms or more you are likely to be hungry sooner. My meals are usually around 25 grms and I supplement with protein between meals twice a day. I know, we are only suppose to eat 3 meals a day, not realistic to me, it is rare that anyone can sustain on 3 meals a day. If they can than they are better than me. I eat about every 3-4 hours when awake and consume about 1500 calories aday now, when losing I consumed 1000-1200 calories a day. I take in 90 plus grms of protein.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Your welcome, ;-)

Just reread your post, awesome job LovetheNewMe, wow you lost a lot on 3 fills! I like that website, I was just looking around on it and all of the information :)

I'm doing 60+ grams, so I agree that could be an issue and I may need to amp this up more, but I'm only going to ask for a little, last time I think she did like .2 CC or something, can't remember.

My sergeons office has a form like that. They gave me a folder with 8 of them and I fill one out each time before I go to an appointment.