Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portuguese Before and After Surgery Diet

I saw the dietitian today and I thought I might share the type of diet she is putting me on before and after. For those of you who like natural, not processed foods this is a good one.

Before

Breakfast

1.5dl of milk (2% is fine but 1% or skim is better) or 1 light yogurt

1 piece of bread about 25g (any type of wheat, or grains type as long as it isn't a cake type of bread) may have light cheese, fresh cheese, butter(1/2 tb), or a slice of ham/turkey/chicken to put on the bread (may toast if you like) (don't mix meat and cheese, choose either meat OR cheese)

Mid morning snack

1 piece of fruit (medium sized apple, 8 strawberries, slice of melon etc.)

1/2 piece of bread or 4 crackers (saltine)

(you must always eat a piece of bread or crackers after eating fruit. It helps absorb the fructose in the fruit before your body does.)

lunch

2.5dl of vegetable Soup (see my thread on Portuguese vegetable Soups eggs

2 small potatoes or 3 soup spoons of rice or 3 soup spoons of Pasta (cooked)

salad (as much as you like, olive oil and vinegar dressing or light low fat dressing)

Mid afternoon snack

1 light yogurt

1 piece of fruit

1/2 piece of bread or 4 crackers

dinner

You can do a repeat of lunch here, or

1 bowl of soup (vegetable not chicken noodle or something)

1 bread or 4 crackers

1 slice of cheese, or fresh cheese, or ham or butter.

Just before bed

2dl of milk or 1 light yogurt

Conversions: 1 cup = 2.37dl

1 oz = 28.35g

1 fl oz = 29.6ml

Drink Water, or tea, or fresh squeezed fruit juice. She said you can put sugar substitutes in the drinks.< /p>

*no more then 2 eggs per week

After

1º phase +-15/30 days

liquids between 50 to 100ml for each meal

Eat at least once every 2 hours

Only eat things that go through a straw

May eat any of the following: liquid yogurts (full fat), milk (2%), soups that contain no fibrous vegetables and that have been completely liquefied, natural fruit juices with no pulp, and 2 nutritional supplements called Fantomalk and Protifar (one is for carbs the other is protein)

May NOT eat:sugar, any thing fibrous, anything solid

2º phase +-15 days

Mushies

+-100 ml for each meal

Eat at least once ever 2 hours

3º phase +- 1 month

solid food

Chew VERY well

Select food that you can tolerate well and don't force those foods that you cant.

Pay attention to the quantity you can eat at each meal.

4º phase 2 to 3 months after surgery

Solid foods

Chew VERY well

Introduce almost all of your normal foods (the types of food on the pre diet)

Try not to at thing very fibrous or of a fibrous consistency

Enjoy and message me if you have any questions or if something isn't clear.

I've done this sort of diet before, its not that hard, just having to give up the junk and make healthier choices instead. But it should get me into the habit of reaching for fruit to snack on instead of chips and yogurt instead of cokes. Hopefully with the bands restricition I'll be satisfied with a lot less and I won't feel like I need to reach for that extra bag of chips.

lol Jack, nope she didn't offer me any medical studies to back it up, I'll just have to take her word for it. The plan isn't that bad i mean there is some variety, you can sub yogurt for milk and of course there are tons of different kinds of Soups you can eat, and she made this plan based on what I like and don't like (I don't eat fish so it wasn't included in the plan), any way, I'll keep u guys posted on how it goes, I'm starting on Monday.