Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded Nervous For Thanksgiving!

Hello Everyone!

I am 5 days post-op and feeling pretty good. However, I am getting a little nervous for Thanksgiving in a couple days! Does anyone have any advice for me on what to eat or not to eat? I am currently able to eat full liquids (i.e. pudding, applesauce, Protein shakes, etc.). I am hoping to be able to eat some foods that the rest of my family will be eating like mashed potatoes and really soft turkey. Am I dreaming about being ready for that? Advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I am 5 days post-op and feeling pretty good. However' date=' I am getting a little nervous for Thanksgiving in a couple days! Does anyone have any advice for me on what to eat or not to eat? I am currently able to eat full liquids (i.e. pudding, applesauce, Protein shakes, etc.). I am hoping to be able to eat some foods that the rest of my family will be eating like mashed potatoes and really soft turkey. Am I dreaming about being ready for that? Advice is appreciated! Thanks![/quote']

What phase will you be on Thursday? If its mushies then I'd go for turkey, gravy and mashed potato . You won't be able to get down much but you can mush turkey in your mouth if your careful. I would call your dr in the morning though and ask. Band slippage is what your biggest concern is at this stage!

5 days post-op, you might have to puree the turkey. Remember Thanksgiving happens every year. It's more important to heal from surgery. I agree with MiniMe, call your doctor and ask. Good luck to you.

Yams/sweet potatoes should be OK as well as mashed potatoes and gravy. I wouldn't recommend turkey at all. Too dry and you cannot afford to have a stuck episode or throw up session so soon after surgery. You could jeopardize the sutures holding the band in place at this point. No bread at all.

It takes many months to learn how to chew properly and it's so easy to be distracted and shove a forkfull of dressing in your piehole. If you do eat anything solid, include a spoonful of gravy to help it slide down.

pumpkin pie should be OK in small quantities. There will be more Thanksgivings. It's not your last shot at great food.

tmf

Enjoy the time with your family. Eat some mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. You will do fine. Take some of your own stuff and enjoy the time with your family. Holidays are not about food anymore for us.

Full liquids doesn't include any of the food you mentioned, unfortunately. Mashed potatoes, turkey, sweet potatoes... none are liquids.

It's just one holiday. Enjoy the company, stick to your liquids, and know you're doing the best thing for your health. One dinner isn't worth hurting your healing stomach by jumping ahead on your post op diet, especially not only 5 days after surgery.

Can she not liquefy things like mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes? Or pie? None of us are experts even the ones who been here for a while so I would say call your team in the morning. they'll be able to give you the best advise!

I imagine mashed potatoes would be okay (if you eat very slow) but please call your doctor to be sure. Now is not the time to push the envelope with your eating. I would hate to see you have a stuck episode or do damage to your band so soon after your surgery... especially when the doctors office will be closed for the holiday.

Protein Shakes, lots of crystal lights, SF popsicles and sip plenty of Water.< /p>

Thanks for all of the advice! Calling my doctor this morning! :)

It is Thanksgiving and I hope you are enjoying your family and friends and the food you are able to eat. I had hoped to be banded by now, but will be in December as I have to have Hiatal Hernia repair at the same time I get the band so have to co ordinate 2 doctors. Have a great day and happy Thanksgiving.