Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Normal Or Should I Call The Doctor?

I am currently 2 days post-op (I had surgery Friday) and I have the driest mouth! When I wake up in the morning, my mouth is so super dry that it is had to swallow my own spit (tmi, I know). When I touch my tongue with the tip of my finger it feels as if a shell has formed on my tongue. . . that is how dry I am; my throat as well. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that I feel that I have absolutley NO restriction. I am still on the liquid phase of my diet, but when I drink Water or Crystal Light, I can actually take large gulps with no problems. It's crazy, because I can feel the water going down mt throat, through the band and then into my tummy. . . it feels so good when the cold Fluid reaches my tummy. Is all of this normal, or is it cause to call the doctor?? Please help me!!THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Banditiff

Dry mouth is common. Restriction will come. Just focus on healing for now and drink lots of water!

I was banded 11/7, and yes all of that is normal. You are probably breathing through your mouth at night because of the tube put down your throat during surgery. Drink lots of Water, and swish it around your mouth. Lol I also brushed my teeth a lot because it gave me a different taste. As for restriction, you don't have any yet... Your band should be wide open, and your stomach is just getting used to having it there. BUT it is important to stick to your 1/4 cup portions. It will be easier for when there is restriction!

I get my first fill 12/21 and am excited to see how it will fill.

Walk around a lot to get that air out of your body! It will help so much! Good luck!

Dry mouth is common, just drink lots and lots of Water.

The band isn't supposed to stop you from eating or drinking anything. There's no reason you shouldn't be drinking normally. The band is only supposed to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. Keep in mind it will likely be a couple fills before it adequately appeases your hunger.

Best wishes.

Dry mouth is common. Restriction will come. Just focus on healing for now and drink lots of water!

Thanks,Cheznoll

Thanks, everyone!

I know we all want it to be working perfecty the day of surgery but it will need fills mine took 3 to fill anthing 6.5cc in a 10 cc bandso ityou feel more comfotable chewing gum might help is hard that first 2 mos just know its coming and you need to heal from the shock to your body and practice the diet so your body is use to it by the time you are in a green zone....

I know after surgery my throat was hurting from being dry for about 2 days, I ended up sucking on some lozenges or I imagine hard candy would work too, to help out.

I am 2 months out, 2 fills and zero restriction, that will come in time. Just live like a banded person until the band kicks in and starts working for you. Dry mouth, pretty common, drink lots of fluids. Good luck.

Personally I would not be gulping anything and DEFINITELY nothing cold. I remember when I had my surgery I was told for those first few days to drink no more than a medicine cup (about 1-2oz) at a time, sipping it slowly and the warmer the better. Guess as we learn every doc is different. For the next month or two it is still going to be all will power, you have no restriction except from any swelling from the surgery. Focus on healing and trying to make yourself reduce your portion sizes, it will do nothing but help you after the fills start and also will help keep ya from setting yourself up for sticking issues later.

Good luck and welcome to the band...err club lol...

sugar free mints or gum help with dry mouth :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • alisasings

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
    • Elnaz

Losing weight is my dream
      · 0 replies
    • OhMyGawdItzKla

I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 

And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

2. OhMyGawdItzKla

@NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

• mamabear30106

I started my 10 day pre op diet yesterday I need flavor!! I'm not big on the chocolate protein shakes so I just got to use up what I have was thinking about freezing it to make it like a ice cream so its something I can chew a little. Idk this is hard but I know I can do it just need to find new things to try 
      · 1 reply
      1. JennyBeez

You can try. I've read other people have had good results with protein-shake popsicles, etc. My personal experience with it? Sucked.

I tried making 'fudgesicles' with a couple different flavors of a premade shake, as well as a protein powder I blended myself and all of them came out revolting? The powder ones, all the protein sunk to the middle; the premade shakes, the popsicle had a disgusting texture and the protein seemed to leave a weird fluffy film on the outside? I couldn't stomach it.

Maybe look into flavoring additives? I was able to have sugar-free coffee /soda syrup flavorings, sugar-free drink flavorings and baking additives like almond, rum or pepperment extract. The extracts helped me the most as they added no extra sweetener.

On the other hand, if you can get your hands on an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder, the syrup flavorings are perfect. I love to use Boost "Just Protein" (which is unflavored) with milk and a Chai-flavored sugarfree syrup.

Good luck!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches