Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared But Needing To Research This Procedure.

Hello Hello

I'm pretty familiar with support forums, but I never thought I'd be "here" (re: my health right now and being told to consider this procedure.)

I'll be honest in that I don't think I've ever truly supported these procedures unless in extreme cases. And yet, here I am. I've never looked down on anyone for having them done. I just thought I personally would always be able to get my situation under control. But I'm now looking at some new health issues and newly bad knees that have me pretty limited. The wieight issue has now become dangerous and I'm desperate.

I'm glad to have found this place. It seems pretty active, and I look forward to seeing if there's anything new I can learn. My orthopedic doctor told me to talk to my family physician about gastric surgery, and so I'm just now setting up an initial appointment to talk about this option for the first time. I'm very nervous and just down right disgusted and disappointed with myself right now. As with anything else, there's nowhere to look but up now as long as I'm trying to do something about it.

Thanks

I have been where you are. I was appalled at myself for having let my weight get so out of control that I needed to think about surgery. In fact I remember 5 years ago my PCP mentioned the band to me... I was at 295!! I poo poo'd the idea thinking it was only for desperate people. Fast forward 5 years I was 377 and decided maybe I was one of those desperate people!

I found this site when I was considering the lap band 2 years ago. It was a wonderful source of information and aided me in making a solid decision to get banded.

While I knew the choice to succed was mine alone I became active in the forums I found out it was a great way to keep my band on the forefront of my mind.

Best wishes as you consider your options.

A lot of us have been where you are now. This group is very supportive, honest and caring. We will be your friends every step of the way. Do something for you for a change!

Hey Texas, welcome!!

This forum is the best thing I found. It gives me the support I need to get through my journey. Do your research, read all the stories good & bad so you can make the best decision for yourself.

Good luck.

I agree this is a great place to start. We get snippy sometimes but sometimes you need a good ole kick in the roo lol. Welcome you will do fine with it. I was almost 300lbs, had bad knees, bad stomach, high blood pressure, and felt like crap most of my adult life. The band gave me back all the years I so much missed. Now I am happy.

Floridays, Cheznoel, ajtexas0, dee257, Cheryl2586 thank you for taking the time to read this and reply and to the others that took the time to read it.

As I had hoped, I can tell it's going to be nice to be among those that can relate. :) I really appreciate your replies and thoughts.

Cheryl2586, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

dee257 (hugs) thank you :)

Hi Texas! Please don't take as long as I did to do your research (see my join date on my profile? I didn't take the plunge until Jan of this year!) About 2 years of research and about 4 more more failed diets and then I finally called and scheduled. I should have just gone in at the beginning! That being said, I am a cautious sort and feel much better when I know what I am stepping into. There is a lot of peace in deciding to do something with your "eyes wide open." It's not a magic bullet, but it is by far the best lifestyle change I have made. I have lost 50 pounds this year and they are staying off thus far (and for always I hope!) I am healthier, feel better, and look better. I am taking the whole band process very slow with very small fills and I like it that way. This forum is very informative and there are lots of folks here to help support you on your way! Best wishes to you!

Sounds like me...the longer I think on something the longer I put it off. :) Thank you, ladybandito. :)

I guess I'm a bit tainted on all this. I'm in the medical field and I get to see the worst side to all this. Granted to those just researching like I am, I know nothing to very little about all this and from just my limited exposure to this, those that have major problems seem to be non-compliant. That's what I'm having trouble visualizing...getting past what I've seen. I come from an area where nobody, even the doctors, don't know much about it.

BUT....I've seen soo much positive today just online.

I'm looking forward to diving into the threads here and taking in all the input. Thanks so much!

Welcome and yes it is scary. I was a naysayer, I was one of those people who thought WLS was the easy way out. I found out very quick that WLS is not the easy way out and for it to be truly successful you have to be committed and accountable to the process. I had my surgery due to sleep apnea, hypertension, asthma uncontrolled and severe knee pain, I was told, lose weight or sleep with C-pap machine and have a total knee. I wanted neither one, so I had lap band and I am so glad I did. It is hard work and the weight does not fall off but it is steady and healthy. Good luck.