Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It A Big Adjustment Going From Bandster Hell To Your First Fill ?

Eating wise....I'm wondering how things are going to change. As of right now, I can pretty much eat anything outside of thick bread type of substances.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Your first couple of days you will be on liquids/mushies. So from that perspective there is a change. However, many people do not notice much of a difference after the first or second fill. It also depends how aggressive your doctor is with fills. Some do much larger fills; however, I would guess you won't notice too much of a difference. It takes a while to find that green zone.

You may be able to eat less and feel satisfied. That is the ultimate goal! It make take a couple of fills to get you there. Keep doing what you know you should and watch out for bread... it can be sneaky and cause a delayed reaction.

You say you can eat anything... there's no reason you shouldn't. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. It's not supposed to control your portions, either. It's simply supposed to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time.

It's highly unlikely you'll notice much difference after just one fill. Some are lucky and they can tell, but most require multiple fills before they're in the Green Zone.

For me, the Green Zone came on gradually over 3 or 4 fills so the adjustment was minor as well. The best thing you can do is take small bites, chew thoroughly, and stick to band sized portions from the very beginning.

Good luck.

You say you can eat anything... there's no reason you shouldn't. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. It's not supposed to control your portions, either. It's simply supposed to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time.

It's highly unlikely you'll notice much difference after just one fill. Some are lucky and they can tell, but most require multiple fills before they're in the Green Zone.

For me, the Green Zone came on gradually over 3 or 4 fills so the adjustment was minor as well. The best thing you can do is take small bites, chew thoroughly, and stick to band sized portions from the very beginning.

Good luck.

I love that part you mentioned above in blue. Very good disciplined habit and a good way of preparing for your journey. Thanks for the reminder and tip as it is much appreciated.

Moving forward, I have a choice for fill doctors and there are pro's and cons to both. One is 1.5 hours (the good) a way and the other is 4 hours away (the bad). However, the one that is closer is very conservative with fills (I mean very conservative according to my brother). The other is much more aggressive.

I'm trying to decide which doctor to go to and I'm leaning towards the closer doctor just in case of an emergency....even though the fill costs will be higher do to his conservative fill philosophy. But I think that is balanced out with savings in gas and the comfort to know that you have a doctor that is close just in case of that emergency.

I love that part you mentioned above in blue. Very good disciplined habit and a good way of preparing for your journey.

P.S. I have a choice for fill doctors and there are pro's and cons to both. One is 1.5 hours (the good) a way and the other is 4 hours away (the bad). However, the one that is closer is very conservative with fills (I mean very conservative according to my brother). The other is much more aggressive. I'm trying to decide which doctor to go to and I'm leaning towards the closer doctor just in case of an emergency....even though the fill costs will be higher do to his conservative fill philosophy. But I think that is balanced out with savings in gas and to having a doctor closer for emergency.

I personally would prefer a doctor with conservative fills. It may be frustrating at times when you're waiting to get into the Green Zone, but it's a lot easier to gradually ease into it than to fill too aggressively and blow right past it into too tight, and then you're in a nasty cycle of adding and removing Fluid trying to find it. Just my opinion, mind you,

I agree with MIS73. We are all eager to get to our green zone and don't realize what a change that can be. My doctor is conservative and, while I get impatient, it is nice to ease into this lifestyle change. My last fill I ended up too tight and was like that for a week. It was NO fun.

We are all eager to get to our green zone and don't realize what a change that can be.

What kind of change can one expect being in the greenzone? I would love to hear from experienced bandsters such as yourself. Especially ones that have traveled this road before.

Thanks Sis,

MD

I love that part you mentioned above in blue. Very good disciplined habit and a good way of preparing for your journey. Thanks for the reminder and tip as it is much appreciated.

Moving forward, I have a choice for fill doctors and there are pro's and cons to both. One is 1.5 hours (the good) a way and the other is 4 hours away (the bad). However, the one that is closer is very conservative with fills (I mean very conservative according to my brother). The other is much more aggressive.

I'm trying to decide which doctor to go to and I'm leaning towards the closer doctor just in case of an emergency....even though the fill costs will be higher do to his conservative fill philosophy. But I think that is balanced out with savings in gas and the comfort to know that you have a doctor that is close just in case of that emergency.

My Dr wsa very conservative with fills. I can tell you of at least 4-5 times I went in SURE I would get a fill... and didnt. But what I appreciated is that we discussed it and he shared his reasoning.... and in the end there was one time I stood firm... the other times I yielded to his expertise and didnt get one. The time I stood firm I was actually too tight for a few weeks so I guess I should have listened.

I have had 2 fills and there really isn't any type of chage in what I could eat and how hungry I am. I have to really work at the 1200 calories and 1c of food per meal, trying to eat banded but know I could eat more. Fill 3 isn't for a few weeks so here's to hoping.

My clinic is also conservative on the fills 1cc per visit. They would rather I creep up to the green zone, instead of blowing past it and having trouble and needing unfills...........I am also 6hrs from my surgeon, so need not be safe not sorry.