Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice - Do I Need A Fill?

Thanks in advance -

I was banded 10/11/12 with 6 cc placed at time of surgery into my 10 cc band. I had my first fill last week - 0.2 cc.

At mealtime, I can only eat about 1/2 cup, which is very satisfying. I have had no stuck episodes or PB. However, at about 2 hours after I eat, I'm ready to gnaw off my arm, so I'm having to have frequent high-protein Snacks - still staying within my daily calorie allowance, but I'd like to be satisfied for the 3-4 hours expected, rather than HAVING to eat every 2 hours or so.

Do I need another fill?

Thanks!

I think you will find as you go that you are able to eat what the doctor ordered for meals and be satisfied. It is a process. I sometimes cant eat my whole meal and eat the rest couple hours later. Are you getting in all the food you are required to? Do you know how much of it is head hunger? Sometimes it just helps me to devert my attention. Do something else. Clean the house, go for a walk, do laundry, read a book etc...Hang in there. Always eat your Proteins first and eat really slow. it takes me about 45 minutes to eat a half cup meal.

Good luck and hang in there. I am sure you have some good advice coming.

not sure if this will help but my nutrionist said when you track your meals to also track how long you feel satisfied. So when you eat and when you were hungry. She said this is a good tool to use when figuring out if you need a fill.

You are hungry because you aren't eating enough food at mealtime I suspect. How long is it taking you to eat the 1/2 c of food? It should take 20 -30 minutes

And since you are newly banded it may. BE that you need to eat your food in stages although I would do everything not to do that...it creats the grazing habit.

Just take tiny bites...about the size of what you would feed a baby. Use a baby spoon for true measuring. And take your time to get the food in,

Hope that helps...

Slow and steady, but limit your eating to 20-30 minutes. Discuss a fill with your doctor. I can tell you this... if you eat for longer than 30 minutes your stomach starts to empty out, and you can actually eat way more than you need.

It takes about 30 mins to get the half cup in. I use a minute timer and a miniature fork, so I'm doing what I am supposed to there. Just need the satisfied feeling to last longer. Guess I need a fill.....

Hi Jeny, sounds like you are doing all the right things and yes if you are getting hungry in such a short time you do need a bit more fill. Another indication as mentioned to me by my nutritionist is if you wake up feeling hungry that's another indication of needing more fill.

When eating I've been told to stop at 20 minutes, at that time you hit satiety. Eating beyond that is eating too much.

Sounds like your doc is aggressive.I didn't get 6cc in my band at time of my surgery.I think it was about a month after surgery before I got a fill.

I agree.if you're getting hungry after your meal.then I would suggest another fill

I agree.if you're getting hungry after your meal.then I would suggest another fill

She is only eating a 1/2 c of food. That isn't enough to get by on for 4-5 hrs.

It takes about 30 mins to get the half cup in. I use a minute timer and a miniature fork, so I'm doing what I am supposed to there. Just need the satisfied feeling to last longer. Guess I need a fill.....

If you can only eat 1/2 cup at each meal and it takes you 30 minutes you do not need a fill. You should be able to eat 4 plus ozs of Protein, a lean veggie and maybe a starch if still hungry. It takes me 20 minutes to eat and sometimes 15 and I can go 4 hours or longer. YOu need to make sure you are getting the 60 plus grms of protein, with out the protein you will be hungry. Are you drinking your fluids between meals.

I always appreciate what you all have to say, but no one should be telling anyone on this site how much they should be eating unless you are their doctor. Doctors have different rules and every patient should do what their own doctors say. My doctor, the nurses and the nutritionist have me on 3 half cup meals and one snack if I need it. I track my food, I measure everything and I eat slow. I know you all mean well, but you may end up doing more harm.

I always appreciate what you all have to say, but no one should be telling anyone on this site how much they should be eating unless you are their doctor. Doctors have different rules and every patient should do what their own doctors say. My doctor, the nurses and the nutritionist have me on 3 half cup meals and one snack if I need it. I track my food, I measure everything and I eat slow. I know you all mean well, but you may end up doing more harm.

I would hope every one takes the advice for what it is.... Just suggestions. Nothing should substitute for the dr's orders. I recall several times I would ask a question and tell him what I had heard... And he would say.... Are you reading the Internet again? LOL

Actually I only eat 1/2 cup per meal three times a day, sometimes a little bit more. As advised by surgeon and nutritionist between 1/2 cup too one cup per meal and stop at 20 minutes. I always make sure my meals are Protein rich to meet my daily requirements and that half cup lasts me five to six hours before I'm hungry again.

I agree with Lovethenewme. Make sure that you are eating Protein when you eat. If you are not eating enough protein, you will get hungry quicker. But, sometimes you might need a snack, and sounds like you are making the proper choices. As stated by others, make sure that you are getting enough calories, too. I know you won't want to hear this, but it could also be head-hunger. You are so new at this whole process and your head is saying you are hungry, that is why a previous poster said to do something to distract yourself. Drink your Water, too! Best wishes, Karen