Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hellllllp! Finalizing decision between LB and bypass. Need imput please!

:help: First of all, LOVE THIS FORUM! Thank you in advance for your response regarding any advice you may have.....

Tomorrow afternoon, I meet w/a bariatric surgeon- to decide what type of procedure will be done..... I have struggled since the day of the seminar on Feb 15th 05 as to what I should do.

I was 271 that very day, and now am 259lbs, due to mentally preparing to do right by my surgery and get this weight off. I want to make my life change NOW and not rely on my surgery to do it for me. I know if I did, I would surely hit a brick wall and fail........

SO, here is the deal. I am afraid I wont loose enough...... If I get the band. I see over and over the 'success rate' for total weight loss is less than the bypass surgery, and takes longer. I know that it took longer than a year to get this big, but what if I only loose 50% of my excess weight as Lapband professes it does? I see the bypass patients loose 100 lbs like that, and in no time at all. But I am AFRAID of the surgery procedure itself. The titanium staples and all of the side effects/complications of surgery and aftercare with the bypass.......

I know it looks like I expect immediate resolution of my weight loss, but I feel that time is a factor for me. I have extreme medical issues and fear that my life span is short enough as it is, and two years may be too long to wait for the weight......(loss) :)

Anyone else struggle with the decision of the type of bariatric surgery that was the best for them and are GLAD they chose this road?

I see alot of you experience esophagal burning and feeling of food 'stuck' just like my gal pal here in Oregon who had hers done 12/05/05 and she has only lost 12 lbs so far!!!!!

HELP HELP HELP HELP........

THANX GANG........

Just my thoughts, worth what you're paying for them... In a sitution where the time to get the weight off is truly a life or death matter, I would advocate RNY. I don't say that lightly b/c I'm not a fan of the procedure, but if it's "lose weight in a year or you will die" -- then RNY is probably your best option.

I'm sorry that you're having such a struggle deciding what is best for you. I can only tell you my own thoughts on this subject. There was never any doubt that I was going to have lap band surgery. Although the weight does come off slower than gastric bypass (which I consider to be more healthy), I don't have the permanent re-routing of my insides and it can be reversed, if medically necessary. The slower weight loss also gives your body/skin more time to adjust to the loss. If you read the statistics, you'll see that lap band patients can and do lose a large percentage of their excess weight just like gastric bypass patients. Additionally, the risk of complications/death is much lower with lap band surgery. Another benefit with lap band surgery is that it is adjustable and you don't have the increased risk of gaining the weight back...assuming you follow the rules.

I hope this helps with your decision. I wish you the best of luck. :)

P.S. I'm a native Oregonian, now living in Louisiana.

Personally, I never considered WLS until I discovered the lapband. The biggest reason for me was the complications brought on by having the bypass and knowing the band is reversible. I have 2 small children and this is what is best for me. I don't know of anyone that has had the bypass and converted to the band, but I do know of people with the band converting to the bypass for whatever reason.....something to consider.

Keep in mind that statistics are just numbers. You can't say that you will only lose 50% of your needed weight. You may lose more or you may lose less than that....each case is different.

This I know to be true.....more people have died from the bypass surgery or complications than the lapband.....a huge factor in my personal decision.

Another issue for my was praying. I have no idea of your religious beliefs, but for me personally, this was a tremendous help in guiding my decision. Now I have no doubts. :biggrin1:

Oh...thought of something else....the bypass surgery makes food decisions for you IMO. The lapband requires more of an effort to make good food choices.

I do wish you the very best in making the right decision. Look at the BIG picture and do what is best for you personally, not what someone else has done.

:gluck:

You stated you have very serious health issues. I have no idea what they are, but I have serious issues of my own. I've had 5-way-bypass heart surgery and cannot have RNY if I wanted it (which I don't). My doctors would not allow it. I'm curious as to your health issues, because whether we like to believe it or not RNY is a very complicated and serious surgery and you should be up to it. If your weight is the major problem and it has to come off quickly, than that decision has to be yours. I just wondered what you are facing, because RNY isn't for everyone.

I have my band and I love my band. I am doing well with my band. However, I have concerns about how many more surgeries I would need to KEEP my band. With the possibility of a revision surgery for one reason or another, band erosion, slippage, etc and the commonality of it within a 10 year span.... If I had to do it all over again, I would dive into RNY instead. Just my opinion and my circumstance. I do think the band is safer and less invasive and healthier but I like the permanancy of RNY. I like that there isn't as much, if any, follow up care appointments, adjustments, revisions, etc. I think that RNY would have been the "life long" option without going into another surgery or two. They say that the band is "long term" not "life long". I wanted life long. I didn't expect that I could erode, have a surgery, wait 6 months, have another surgery, and keep repeating that process. When I paid my money, I thought I was getting something for life (which for me could be another 40 years!). I would have paid the extra $8K to have the RNY if I had to do it over.

But alas, I don't have that option for a "do over". So I work with my band, and it is doing its job for now. So for now, I will love and respect my band until I need a revision. Then I will switch to RNY not reband.

You ladies ROCK!!!! :clap2: I never expected to get 5 responses, and so quickly w/good advice and different points of interest offered........ Thank you so very much!

Princess- See? That is also my concern........ Repeat surgeries. I have read a study of 299 patients in a 3 year time- 88% of the patients had erosion issues and other complications with the LB. ie: slippage (BUT no deaths)

HMMMMMMM. RNY scares me so........ But I too, only want ONE surgery due to anesthetic/recovery issues from opperations...... I normally have to be intabated during even my 'low risk' surgeries.

Dody- I have advanced emphysema. Never a smoker. Acute allergies as a child have scarred the tissue in my lungs bringing me here today. I was given 10 years to live 8 years ago....... Legally disabled. Yadda Yadda. I now wonder if RNY is even a possibility after reading your response? My appt isnt until 1pm PST today.......... AAAARGH.

3loves- " I don't know of anyone that has had the bypass and converted to the band, but I do know of people with the band converting to the bypass for whatever reason.....something to consider. " Thank you, as I didn't even know that was an option to convert. I thought once you had bariatric surgery, there was only revision/removal LB opportunities.

Tricia K- Hey you native! How is Louisiana? Be grateful you are not here, as I am getting 'rustier' by the minute. :tired (you know how it goes) hee hee.

You have done great since your LB, like most of the folks here. Very inspiring. Thank you! I was also concerned w/rapid loss and saggy skin w/the RNY. My stomach already hangs to the knees (close enough anyway) so I am thinking a tuck may be in order no matter which I choose.... Not covered medically I heard though unless severe skin sores etc.

Wheetsin- Thank you for your feedback. I dunno if its as bad as loose weight in a year OR.... But I'm just trying to out do my lame window of time given to me by my pulmonologist for my life span by rapid weight loss, ya know? So again, thank you and I appreciate all of you being so very nice and honest w/me!!!

Have a blessed day folks and keep on keepin' on with your wonderful successes. ( I have a feeling that I will be right along here with you after todays meeting w/the doc!)

Cheryl S.............