Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm new the the very idea of banding. I'm going to a seminar on April 14 to learn about it. I'm not sure if I will be getting banded or not. I've considered Gastric Bypass Surgery but it's just too expensive and somewhat scary. I understand banding isn't quite so invasive and is 100% reversible if something goes wrong.

Right now I'm working out 3-4 days a week at the gym doing eliptical and weight lifting. I am so concerned that I won't be able to continue lifting after banding because of the lack of strength from lack of food. Is this concern justified?

What can I expect immediately after banding? Also, I read where someone lost about 16 lbs. just prior to surgery. What kind of special diet is it we're suppose to do before being banded? They wouldn't tell me anything until the seminar other than the cost which is just under $18,000.00.

I would appreciate any and all information you all would share with me.

Gale

Gale:

I was banded on 3/20/06. I did not have to have a pre-op diet except the day before I was to be on liquids. They told me this was so I wouldn't binge and eat "my last meal"!! :eek: Some people are put on liquids if they have a higher BMI I believe!? My BMI was < 50. Each doctor is individual.

What did you think of the seminar? Did you make it April 14th?

I was living in TN and had my band done there at $13,000 in an outpatient surgical center. I have since moved to FL. I am scheduled this Wednesday for my first fill. Yipppee....I think?! :eek:

I did have pain after surgery. But now 5wks later would go through it again if necessary! It was not unbearable but do-able especially with drugs!! :mad:

If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask!! Hope this helped!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs

Hi Gale! Welcome to LBT! You've come to the right place for opinions galore! :eek:

Pre-op diets vary from doctor to doctor. Some require you to lose a certain number (like 10 pounds), some require a percentage (like 10% of your body weight), some require a time: 2 weeks of "my" diet, some require all liquid for a week or 2. It really just depends. Ours was a lo-fat, lo-carb diet for 3 weeks. We survived it... mostly, lol.

The general rule of thumb for post-op exercise is walking is ok from hour 1. Nothing over 10 pounds for 10 days. Then everything's fine as long as it doesn't hurt. Some doc's have more strigent rules, but the majority seems to just look at the first 10 days.

There is some adjustment to fewer calories, but weight lifting & exercising will actually help you a lot. Make sure you're getting enough Protein & be sure & tell your nutritionist that you work out -- she may need to up your calories some!

The biggest thing is to communicate with your doctor's office. If you're on the pre-op & are weak, call them & let them know. They may have tips or strategies to get you through it.

Keep reading here & ask any questions that come to mind! We're glad you're here!