Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering A Surgery

Hello all

I am new to this and would like to have some support .

I am 43 diabetic male with 35 BMi . I was diagnosed last year and now I have it "under control" because I lost 33 lb with diet but like always I gained 17 back. My primary dr refuse categorically the idea of a surgery for its complications.i also have osteoporosis and in the future will need a hip replacement my joins are killing me one morning it is the hip the next it is the knee ankle....I also started developing symptom of gout in my big toe.

My eating habit is bad ice cream chocolate and Snacks every 2 hours.

I am in confused to what to do listen to my dr or to my body, I feel like my weight and diabetise are eating me from within and I know that my eating habits are against the band.

Thanks for reading.

Age 43

Weight 235

Height 5.5

I recommend the band highly. You can do it, but you will have to lose the ice cream fixation!

If I were in your shoes, I'd find a seminar near you (they're free) to learn about the band. It will help you make a better, more informed decision.

Losing weight can drastically help both Diabetes and Arthritis. The thing with the band is, you have to be prepared to do the work. It's an amazing tool, it really is, but only when utilized properly. I find way too many get Lap Band surgery thinking it's a magic cure for fat. They think it'll physically stop them from eating the wrong foods, or stop them from over-eating, or even just make the fat melt off effortlessly. None of that is the case at all. The band helps to appease hunger on less food for longer periods of time, and it does it well, but it's still up to the patient to make good food choices and restrict their portions.

I encourage you to do your homework. Read all the medical data on Lap Band and do the research. Learn what it's supposed to do, not supposed to do, and what to expect. Education will be your best asset when trying to make this very big decision.

On a personal note, I positively love my band. I've lost about 160 pounds in 10 months. I've never felt better or been happier in my adult life.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks to all for viewing or responding.

Very well said mist 73! One of my homework is to learn from bandster and their experience with the band. There are many topics online about the band some are posit if and some negatif, and sometimes I am not even sure the source of the article....

Going through some of mis73 previous post I found a very interesting link from drsimpson.net it is a really good summary for Newbie like me.

In my experience, the longer you go without the food (such as ice cream) the easier it gets to break the habit....yeah I know-easier said then done but I fear that if you don't kick the snack habit then with or without the band you won't get the results you want. Although, I am not banded yet. Best of luck in your endeavors.