Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here Are My Symptoms, Anyone Else?

I thought when I had lap band surgery I'd start to feel better once I got some weight off, well, not so much. Althought I'm only 4 1/2 months post op and down 40 lbs I still feel the same. I literally could sleep around the clock. I am fatigued constantly, really bad. No energy to exercise or do anything. I stay cold, I mean I freeze and I weigh 254, I mean someone that size ought to be hot natured but not me, not even in summer, I still freeze. My blood pressure at the dr's office 6 wks ago when I went in for blood work was 95/56, he didn't seem too concerned about that and the only thing my blood work showed I was dificient in Vitamin D. I'm sick of feeling like this. This doctor is an internal medicine doc in Nashville TN so pretty reputable and I like him but why can't anyone figure out why I feel like I do? He check my thyroid, my Iron and all was normal. I'm 46 and falling apart it seems. Open for suggestions.

Congratulations so far on your weight loss. It takea awhile before we start feeling real good and this process of losing weight is not a quick one. My doctor after I get to the green zone, he wants me to lose no more than 2 pounds per week. This helps teach me to eat better and healthier. We all have to re-learn how to eat and make better choices on what we stick in our mouths. Are you taking all your vitamins/minerals? Are you drinking 64 oz of Water each day. When people get dehydrated they tend to get lazy and slow. Is your potassium level good? Have you asked another doctor for a second opinion? MIght try this.

Best wishes

Wow, I think that your low blood pressure might have to do with your coldness. But I am not a Dr. :wub: . Drs tend not to worry about their patients with low blood pressure. I agree with Rajasanoll, make sure that you are getting enough potassium and your fluids. Congrats on your tremendous weightloss, too! Karen

Feeling cold it seems is normal. I weigh more than you and the cold I experienced this winter was unbearable at times. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said it was because of the loss of a good layer of fat. When we carry more weight we are a degree warmer than thin people, also as our metabolism slows we experience cold more.

There was a period I felt very lethargic so I changed my Vitamins and drank even more Water and that seemed to help, maybe it was coincidence, I also experience slumps if I'm not careful with what carbs I consume. If I eat white bread within two hours all I want to do is have a nap.

When I was in that lethargic period I still made myself walk first thing in the mornings and it gave me an energy burst for hours later.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious and you get to the bottom of it quickly.

Not saying you are depressed but when I was in the deepest darkest corner all I wanted to do was sleep 24/7. Going to ask you this, do you snore, do you suffer from sleep apnea? If you do then that means you are not resting properly hence the tiredness also. Since loosing a good amount of weight I no longer snore like a polar bear and sleep deeply and wake refreshed.

Just read an interesting article in a fitness magazine. It was about weightloss and feeling tired. One if the things they mentioned was carbs. If you restrict your carbs severely that can also lead to being tired.

I thought when I had lap band surgery I'd start to feel better once I got some weight off, well, not so much. Althought I'm only 4 1/2 months post op and down 40 lbs I still feel the same. I literally could sleep around the clock. I am fatigued constantly, really bad. No energy to exercise or do anything. I stay cold, I mean I freeze and I weigh 254, I mean someone that size ought to be hot natured but not me, not even in summer, I still freeze. My blood pressure at the dr's office 6 wks ago when I went in for blood work was 95/56, he didn't seem too concerned about that and the only thing my blood work showed I was dificient in Vitamin D. I'm sick of feeling like this. This doctor is an internal medicine doc in Nashville TN so pretty reputable and I like him but why can't anyone figure out why I feel like I do? He check my thyroid, my Iron and all was normal. I'm 46 and falling apart it seems. Open for suggestions.

i feel you need to tell your primary care dr this and also your surgeon

and let them know you just dont feel right.

i am anemic and i am more (cold) then most people and also my BP is on

the low side also. i do take alot of Iron because if i dont, i would be tired/run down.

please continue to eat (Protein, take your vitamins) and def give your dr's a call to let them know what you are feeling/going through.

all the best donna

I had to get Vitamin B shots for awhile supplement didn't do it. Is your skin and hair dry and seriously is the skin between your fingers more webby that was what my internist looked for for thyroid. Which I had when I was heavier but it came under control when I lost weight now we just watch it.

I know it sounds trite but drinking more fluidd and brisk walking really helps. When I get bored or in a routine I get sleepy. With all the changes going on in your body you could be chemically depressed by hormomnes trying to figure out whats up.

Protein rebs me up and carbs make me tired.If you are really tired maybe you just need to sleep. I hope you aren't taking bp meds. I watched a great big guy go down in a parking lot this summer because his bp meds made him go to low.

If all else fails go back to the Dr. and say look I am concerned , and I know my body something is not right. Hope you are feeling better real soon.

When I was a chubby kid growing up to be an obese adult, I was always tired. I believe that it was the carbs in everything I ate to make me like that. Well, once I started the yo-yo dieting of my life and got down to 124 pounds and was a size 6-8 for 10 years I was literally starving myself to stay thin like the other girls I worked with. By the time I got home I literally had shaky knees and was so weak that I just about got my salad down and was in bed by 8:00 pm. I think years of dieting and not having enough Protein for the body to function, plus not getting a Multi-Vitamin was the answer, because I am a size 10-12 now and eat very small meals, mostly protein and usually a small Protein Shake at night plus take a multi-vitamin and Calcium tablet and I feel like a million dollars. I believe this is the right way to diet and keep the weight off. There are times that we go shopping after work or in the summer swim every single night after supper. You need to try a Vitamin like Centrum which I find to be much better than the one a day brands. Great job on losing that weight, maybe you are not sleeping enough at night and you could be sleep deprived throughout the day also? Good luck and I would push the doctor to run more tests or at the least get a second opinion. I get blood work once a year by my regular doctor and I just went last week and they said everything was perfect.

Medically speaking, you must be your own advocate!!! Be persistent in your complaints and don't let the doctors blow them off. It definitely sounds like more is going on and you need answers and a solution. Good luck.

Low Vit D can make you feel tired- once I got mine up I felt better, as well as getting my Vit. B complex up. I have always been cold natured - freeze all the time, it's just me, the doctors have run every test they can think of and everything is fine.

i feel you need to tell your primary care dr this and also your surgeon

and let them know you just dont feel right.

i am anemic and i am more (cold) then most people and also my BP is on

the low side also. i do take alot of Iron because if i dont' date=' i would be tired/run down.

please continue to eat (Protein, take your vitamins) and def give your dr's a call to let them know what you are feeling/going through.

all the best donna[/quote']

I am 10 months & 93 lbs post op & am always freezing even when we had 100 degree temps. My sister is the same way at 3 yrs post op, my bp is lower than it used to be, which was high & I'm rarely hungry. I eat Breakfast, lunch & dinner & drink plenty of Water. I was never a big coffee drinker but I am now. Keeps me warm & relaxes my band so food passes more easily. Hang on there & keep a warm jacket or sweater handy!!

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions and concerns. I see my surgeon next week and I think I will talk with him about this and see what he says. I do get all my Water in during the day. Thanks again.

Donna