Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm No. 41 ;-(

I was just banded January 31, 2012. I've had two incidents of vomiting (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH REGURGITATION) which were followed by horrible pain and emergency unfills. Just found out today that I have a slipped band. My surgeon has done over 3000 bands and I'm only the 41st he's had slip. He said the vast majority of slips are caused by vomiting. I don't think he really believed me when I told him I had only vomited twice.

Looking for the silver lining: I really regretted not having plication when I was banded, and when he schedules the surgery to repair the slip, he's going to attempt to do plication at the same time.

I just can't believe I have to go through another surgery. :wacko:

But, would I do it all over again??? I can still say yes.

Huh. I know a lot of bandsters (icluding me) whose slips were fixed with a complete unfill and rest period before gradually re-filling. So, is this a really bad slip, for it to require surgery?

41 out of 3000 is a pretty slow rate of slips, but it's no fun for you being #41! And I guess adding plication will indeed be the silver lining to having more surgery.

Huh. I know a lot of bandsters (icluding me) whose slips were fixed with a complete unfill and rest period before gradually re-filling. So, is this a really bad slip, for it to require surgery?

41 out of 3000 is a pretty slow rate of slips, but it's no fun for you being #41! And I guess adding plication will indeed be the silver lining to having more surgery.

I was unfilled last month and the slip was just diagnosed yesterday, so apparently the unfill didn't help. To be honest, when he started explaining about the slip, I was pretty shocked and didn't really take in what all he said. Only being eight months out from surgery, and knowing how well he stitches in the band, plus only having two incidents of vomiting and not having any of the usual symptoms of a slip, a slip was the last thing I was expecting!

I too slipped and my surgeon replaced my band with plication. Consider the plication if that is an option. I am only 2 weeks out of surgery with an empty brand new band and I feel some big-time restriction! About a cup of food is making me feel full! I can only imagine what it is going to be like with a couple of fills! Plus, it is believed that plication can help prevent another slip. I truly hope so. best of luck to you!

I too slipped and my surgeon replaced my band with plication. Consider the plication if that is an option. I am only 2 weeks out of surgery with an empty brand new band and I feel some big-time restriction! About a cup of food is making me feel full! I can only imagine what it is going to be like with a couple of fills! Plus, it is believed that plication can help prevent another slip. I truly hope so. best of luck to you!

I'm definitely going for the plication. Was your slipped band removed, new band placed and plication all done in one surgery? My biggest fear is not being able to have it all done at once!

Plication? I'm sooo confused!! I guess I'm not up with the terminology. My stomach popped over the top of my band but she never really said it was a slippage, but I'm assuming this is what happens when a slip happens. She emptied my band and has me on a liquid diet for 4-6 weeks in hopes it will fix itself being I don't have insurance.

But what is a plication ? I had this done nearly 2 wks Ago n have been sticking to 1/2 cup Soups 2x's a day, and a Protein Shake for Breakfast. Keeping my calories at 500-800 day... Yet I've only lost 13 lbs.. I don't recall how well I did when I first had my band done, anyone know if this is pretty common? I just feel like my weight should be dropping a lot quicker.

Plication? I'm sooo confused!! I guess I'm not up with the terminology. My stomach popped over the top of my band but she never really said it was a slippage, but I'm assuming this is what happens when a slip happens. She emptied my band and has me on a liquid diet for 4-6 weeks in hopes it will fix itself being I don't have insurance.

But what is a plication ? I had this done nearly 2 wks Ago n have been sticking to 1/2 cup Soups 2x's a day, and a Protein shake for breakfast. Keeping my calories at 500-800 day... Yet I've only lost 13 lbs.. I don't recall how well I did when I first had my band done, anyone know if this is pretty common? I just feel like my weight should be dropping a lot quicker.

Plication is a procedure in which the surgeon puts sutures in your stomach to make it "pleat" (that's the plication part) and reduce its holding capacity. Sometimes it's done as a procedure by itself, sometimes in combination with band placement.

I think I'm not understanding you though when you complain about losing 13 lbs. You were banded 2 weeks ago and feel that you should have lost more than 13 lbs by now? That would work out to 6.5 lbs a week, which is a heck of a lot faster than the band average loss of 1-2 lbs/week. Or were you banded prior to 2 weeks ago?