Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All Im New To This Forum

Hi everyone I'm new on here and really enjoy reading everyone's journey. I got my lapband 2 years ago but fell pregnant before my first fill. I went back to the surgeon in April weighing 15kg more then I did before my operation. So far I have found it difficult to lose any weight :( I am at 5mls (10ml bband) and feel very restricted I am still not losing weight nor eating much as I am sometimes unable to tolerate liquid. Any tips for me from an experienced person on here? I work in children's services so I'm always on my feet and running around. Any help is much appreciated thanks :)

Gosh! i am so sorry you are having such a hard time right now...I am new to the banding community...so, I do not have any real advice to offer you except that if you are even having a hard time drinking liquids, you need to go back to your doctor to take some of that fill out! You have to be able to get some nutrition in some how.

I will be praying for you!

Well, I guess first we need to know what you are eating, how many calories, how often, what kind of foods. You indicate from your post that you feel some resistance with the band, I am going to assume you mean you feel full after eating small amounts. When you say you do not tolerate liquids well does that mean you are having trouble drinking? When did you have your fill and are you having any reflux or PBing.

If you can swallow food this is what I would suggest. Increase your Protein intake to 70gms or more per day and limit your calories to no less than 1200. In the beginning sometimes you have to eat in order to start losing. I know that may sound silly but if you cut back your calories too far and do not take in enough Protein your body will go into starvation mode and it will slow your metabolism and you will not lose fat but muscle. You need to eat to provide your body with fuel so you can exercise so your muscles while working can help you to burn fat. You have to think of your body like a machine that when you feed it and than work it it burns the fuel you give it and by working it it burns the fat. If you are struggling to get in 70 plus gms of protein than do a couple of shake a day. I know they are not the greatest but you get used to the taste after a couple hundred. Good luck and if you give us more info we may be able to help. Also, your physician and nutritionist would also be a good resource. Keep a food diary and than take it in after a couple of weeks and have them review what you are eating to make suggestions.

Hi LoveTheNewMe thank you for taking the time to reply and for your great tips.

I last had my fill on the 17th oct. I'm on 5mls it feels very tight and during the day I find it hard to keep any liquids down I have to sip very little so that it doesn't come back up. I don't get hungry which is great but I do feel I should be eating. I try having a Soup in the evening but can only take in very little and if I continue it does come back up and I just give up. I don't know what my calorie intake is at this moment. I do try to have a cup of tea with milk and Splenda but I can only drink abt 1/4 of it. This is my second time on 5mls the first time I couldn't even swallow my own saliva and ended up in hospital dehydrated I got 2mls taken out which put me back on 3msl and I gained the 5kg I had already lost. The doctor said I should be ok this time which I am, I'm not as bad. But I don't know how to take Protein unless it is in shakes and even them I don't think I'll be able to drink them. Am I too tight? Or will it losen up? How does it feel when you hit your sweet spot? I'm hoping it loosens up and then I can take in some protein. Some days I'm not as tight as others and I can drink a bit more though not solids they get stuck unless they are lapband friendly -mashed etc.