Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for group...

I had 1 week of low-fat liquids pre-op. Was hard, but not too hard. I drank 2 or 3 Slim Fasts plus broths every day. Also, I drank a lot of buttermilk to get away from sweet tastes. Lost 10 lbs that have stayed off & jump started the other 15 or so since then. Plus an easy & fast surgery & recovery, no gas pains at all. And a lovely liver too. I was also amazed that just 1 week could shrink a liver, but Dr Jay assured me it can make a big diference. Good luck & hang in there!

My surgeon does not require a special diet prior to surgery. He says that with two of his 250 patients it would have been nice to have shrunk the liver before the op, but its not worth putting the other 248 patients through the trouble.

I don't have to do it but I have to do an 8 week high Protein and exercise everyday for 45 minutes diet:faint: . WOOHOO! that is hard. plus I am a smoker and had to quit smoking for the surgery:faint: . so I must admit I am having a hard time myself. My doctor actually said he thought making people give up food for two weeks was torture. but that being said you will be losing some extra poundage and that is always good. I know you can do it:clap2: . many others have. It sounds hard and I think you guys are all great for having the strength to do it. good luck to you.;)

Kat-

The liver shrinking works because the body uses the livers fat stores FIRST. In ketosis, the body is using fat and Protein as energy. The liver has to be very active during ketosis for all the extra bile that is needed. Any carb dense food can put the liver right back to sleep making a week or more of hellish dieting nothing but wasted time.

This is the easy version, sure. But it works. So everyone! If you cheat, cheat with unseasoned solid proteins: tuna in Water (drained) or dry chicken breast. If you take in too much fat your liver won't "give it up". So thats where Liquid Protein diet differs from Atkins. Low to No fat. It's hard, but it could prevent internal bleeding.

Listen to me preach... Guess I am just proud of myself for getting through it.

i had to do a low carb before surgery. the purpose of this is to make your liver smaller before surgery. the smaller it is the better and my doc said that low carb is a great way to do this. if its larger it sometimes makes it harder for them to cruise around in there.

Hummm....so I guess it does make a diffrence....I have an apt. on the 17th with the dietitian before my surgery on the 26th, so I'm waiting to see what she tells me, if she is going to want me to diet before as well. I think I might any way just to see if it helps with the gas pains that every one is talking about.

My doc had me do the same thing. I agree with the above rationales. I was grateful for it when I didnt want anything after the surgery. This made the transformation easier.

I was drinking slim fast low carb, high Protein (vanilla). I bought broth in powder form instead of cubes and didnt mix as concentrated because my BP was increasing, and I didnt want that. Of course now I am sick of drinking it, but I am 3 1/2 weeks out. Dont let that deter you, though. I had plenty of unsweetened crystal light that I mixed with my choice of sugar sub.

I ate Jello pudding and geletin. When I needed it, low cal ice cream. :hungry:

I just kept thinking "just 2 more weeks, I can do anything for 2 weeks".

Hang in there!!!

Hi Kathy :)

I am having my surgery on the 28th of this month. Starting this Monday, I will be on a full liquid diet. My doctor has us go to Physicians Weight Loss Center to get the liquid diet they use. I have to drink 5 of them a day and no other food. It is going to be rough, but he said if gets in there and the liver doesn't look good, I will have forked out $16,500.00 just for him to take a look around. I don't want that to happen, I want the band so as hard as it is going to be, I am going to force myself to do it.