Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So hungry today and can't take it!!!

I have not had my first fill as I am just over 2 weeks post op. I believe that I have a 10 cc band and I don't believe that he put any fill at all in it during surgery. I have been struggling with hunger but have been able to stop my hunger with small meals. I have been on mushies since day 3. and have been slowly able to eat more and more at a sitting but try not to. I have lost 7 lbs but I am getting frustrated with being hungry all the time and today was horrible. I took my kids to a pancake Breakfast and I did eat almost all of the 2 pancakes that I had. I made them mushy and chewed real well. When I got home about 2 hours later me and my kids were hungry again so I just had something small and than I just ate dinner of my mushies. I had mashed potatoes and beef stroganoff sauce. I have started lightly excersizing, would the increase in excersize increase my appitite? I am sorry to rant, I am just getting so frustrated, I am trying hard to adhear to the small meals because despite the fact that I have no fill yet I can only eat a small amount at a time, but I am hungry a short time later and I hate it.

Does anyone have any advise or words of wisdom?

Thanks for listening.

I was banded on 3/13/06 and I'm fighting with the hunger, too. I was hoping to get a fill soon to help with it, but when I called to make an appointment they didn't have an opening until 4/27! All day yesterday I kept thinking that I'd never be able to hang on that long. I've lost 10 pounds and I really don't want to gain it back. I have stayed on mushies but I'm dying to eat some real chicken. Anyway, I'm supposed to stay on mushies for one more week and then slowly start adding other foods. I kind of feel like I can't even decide what to eat at this point. I finally decided today that I'll do the best I can until I can get a fill and that my real weight loss will begin then (hopefully). If I could stand to be hungry all the time I wouldn't have gotten the band. I know I'm not giving you any concrete advice, I really just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. I'm fighting the same battle right now, too. When I get really discouraged I come to this forum and read some of the positive results people have had long term and I feel better.

Hi! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I was banded on 3/23/06 and I have been having a hard time the last 2 days because I am so hungry. I went to my Dr yesterday, I've lost 11 pounds but he says that's not real loss with the band because I don't have anything in my band. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I can relate!!

I remember this time well. After the inital swelling from surgery went down, I was soooooooo hungry. 2 weeks of liquids and four weeks of mushies was hell lol. But you can do it. Its not worth the risk of having the band slip. Add in some Protein, as it will keep you full longer.

Things will start to look up soon - promise :eek:

I was banded 3/20 and im starving I've been eating mushies and struggling ... trying to keep myself busy but its really hard my first fill is on 5/19

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. The hunger is driving me crazy and I don't want to gain back the 7lbs that I have lost. I am trying very hard not to eat the house, LOL.

Kathy,

Call Dr. Spivak's office and ask them if you can move on to solids. They let me move to solids this past tuesday. They just reiterated that it is very important that I chew well, eat slow, and stop as soon as I start to feel full.

I am eating anything my family eats, just in limited portions.

Good Luck!

Banded March 27th, home on the 29th. Was having a heck of a time with liquids, especially since my daughter is out of state at her "father's." I miss her. To add insult to injury I broke up with my boyfriend the day before I left for surgery after dating almost two years.

I'm guessing it's mostly the emotional tie I have with food that's making it so difficult. I did find that hummus is a godsend. I know I'm not supposed to be on mushies yet but I had to do it.

I am starting to get the hang of this, five days out. I'm not hungry, per se, but I find myself constantly checking for signs of hunger then trying to convince myself I have to be hungry because a few bites of this or that cannot be enough compared to the three plus squares I used to eat. They say you have to do something at least twenty-one times before it becomes a habit, I'll catch on sooner or later.

Today's menu:

1/2 cup Protein drink in the a.m. (150 calories)

1/2 cup of super mushy oatmeal (130 calories)

1/2 cup of hummus (200-300 calories)

1 egg scrambled for dinner (how many calories in an egg?)

1/2+ cup Jello before bed to stave off the mental munchies (100 calories)

Water, Water, water, water

I can't wait for a chicken breast!!! I dont' care if it's even cooked or defeathered or nothing.

I was banded on 3/21 and I eat 3 full glasses of high Protein at 7 a.m., 12 noon and 5 p.m. I mix two tablespoons of Peanut Butter (8 grams of protein), 1 cup of high Protein milk (10 grams) and 1/3 cup of whey Protein powder (25 grams) and 3 ice cubes...It is very satisfying and kills the hunger pains...I also eat yogurt or Jello in between the shakes...I only lost 5 lbs but I don't like being hungry either! Good luck! Let me know how you like the shake if you try it...it taste like a Reese candy cup but is high in protein (43 grams per meal)!!

Robin in Sugarland, TX

Ahem. Baby Bandsters, if you are hungry, EAT SOMETHING!!! :hungry: If you are in the liquid phase, have a protien drink. If you are on mushies, then make sure you have PROTIEN and a little fat. Fats stay in your system longest, protien next carbs giving the biggest spike in your blood sugar, with the bigest crash.

Getting banded doesn't mean you will never be hungry ever again. You will be hungry a few hours after you have eaten your last meal. Of course, part of the key is to learn to not get too hungry so you end up with a case of the first bite syndrome, but you are gonna be hungry a few hour after you eat because YOU ARE HUMAN. :omg:

If you are stuck for ideas, please search the food forum for recipies for the mushy stage, we have some real gems hidden there.

Mia, I don't know about you, but before I was banded afew hours after a pancake breakfast I'd be hungry too. You are perfectly normal (((((hugs))))) Now with a decent fill, I don't think I can eat pancakes, I'm not willing to risk getting stuck :faint:

I suggest that you relax, be kind to yourself, and enjoy those pancakes while you can because after your first fill, you probably won't have one again. Of course, if you are like me, you will NOT miss pancakes.

The main causes of hunger are the lack of Protein....i know when i have had a couple of meals in a day with low Protein i am hungry no matter even if i have made myself almost to the PB stage.

2 weeks pre-op and 4 weeks post op i ate NOTHING but protein soups/shakes which my surgeon gave me and i was NEVER hungry and i lost around 20 lbs with it.

The hardest part of it was that there was an occasional day which i felt i could not take it any more ... but it wouldn't last more than a few hours.

I'm actually finding life harder now i am back to "normal" since my job makes eating decent food difficult

But if i make the effort i can lost almost 4lbs a week with no hunger.

Just keep eating high protein foods ... 60+g a day

My MD advanced me today so I won't feel bad about eating something that might stick with me. I guess my problem is that before the surgery I hardly ever got hungry because I ate every couple of hours and I didn't control my portions. Now I am only trying to eat 4 small meals and I am staying within the serving sizes. I was under the impression that I could only eat like 3 meals a day and it seems like 4 smaller meals is a better idea. I just expected to be fuller longer that is why I got the band, LOL. I guess that comes with my first fill. For some reason I feel guilty when I eat now and I know I shouldn't. Now that I have been advanced to being able to eat soft foods I think I will be fine. Thanks everyone fr your supportive words and advice it means so much!

(((((Hugs)))