Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited & Nervous & Thrilled, Oh My!!!

I'm new to the forum and thought I might put myself out there since I've been quite the hermit for years now. I'm 30 now and have hypertension and am now considered pre-diabetic. I went to my primary doc the other day after an MRI for my back. Of course, my back is in terrible shape and the doc said to lose weight. Thanks for the help, doc! I came home and talked to my mom about it. She asked if I thought it was finally time to "do something" about it. I told her that the sooner my weight killed me, the sooner I would be out of pain. After a gut wrenching reality check for the both of us, we both cried...a lot. She offered to pay for my surgery to help me and thank God for that as I later found out that UHC doesn't cover me for weight loss anything. So, I called some surgeons at my mom's request and found a local physician. I asked hypothetically that if I were to give him a check today for all costs, when would I have surgery. It sounded like a month or so and thought that was a reasonable time to wrap my brain around it all. I took the coordinator my application and after an hour long visit, I walked out of the office with surgery scheduled for November 12!!! I told my mom and she was so happy and called her accountant that afternoon! I will never be able to thank her for giving me life..twice! I am finally happy. I am finally excited about something again!!! If it feels this good preop, I believe I may be over the moon happy in 19 days!!!!! I'm a little nervous about the surgery since I have never had a "cutting" surgery (just had a ureteroscopic procedure under general anesthesia), so not sure how painful postop will be. Well, that was a therapeutic little rant and I am pretty sure there will be a few more in the near future!!!!

I'm new to the forum and thought I might put myself out there since I've been quite the hermit for years now. I'm 30 now and have hypertension and am now considered pre-diabetic. I went to my primary doc the other day after an MRI for my back. Of course' date=' my back is in terrible shape and the doc said to lose weight. Thanks for the help, doc! I came home and talked to my mom about it. She asked if I thought it was finally time to "do something" about it. I told her that the sooner my weight killed me, the sooner I would be out of pain. After a gut wrenching reality check for the both of us, we both cried...a lot. She offered to pay for my surgery to help me and thank God for that as I later found out that UHC doesn't cover me for weight loss anything. So, I called some surgeons at my mom's request and found a local physician. I asked hypothetically that if I were to give him a check today for all costs, when would I have surgery. It sounded like a month or so and thought that was a reasonable time to wrap my brain around it all. I took the coordinator my application and after an hour long visit, I walked out of the office with surgery scheduled for November 12!!! I told my mom and she was so happy and called her accountant that afternoon! I will never be able to thank her for giving me life..twice! I am finally happy. I am finally excited about something again!!! If it feels this good preop, I believe I may be over the moon happy in 19 days!!!!! I'm a little nervous about the surgery since I have never had a "cutting" surgery (just had a ureteroscopic procedure under general anesthesia), so not sure how painful postop will be. Well, that was a therapeutic little rant and I am pretty sure there will be a few more in the near future!!!![/quote']

Amazing and exciting! I'm so happy for you. Everyone has their own experience with surgery but it really is no big deal. You are mobile again within hours, you have to for clots and gas. So that tells you something right there. The gas was my biggest discomfort, not even pain. It isn't in your intestines but in your belly because they blow up your belly so they can move around easier so walking and heating pads are the only thing that helps, literally! ( not even the pain meds make the gas subside)

I took pain meds for one day then didn't even need them. Others have taken meds for a few days. Important to stay ahead of it wearing off if you are one that experiences more pain.

The other thing to do in this 19 days is really stop and have a heart to heart with yourself again. Be mentally and emotionally prepared to be a new you! Seek counseling if you think you need it. Find out where your support groups are. Follow some successes on youtube like BandedWendy or GhrelinBGone. You are coming in for a landing kinda fast and you must have your game plan now. And NEVER NEVER go off of the program that your surgeon and nutritionist gives you. He will lead you to success if you trust that you are not in charge anymore.

Having said all that, you will do amazing AND you will be so happy. Don't expect big results right away but be elated when they come ( just dont expect them) this is about living a better you. If you do that and focus on that you will be successful.

I'm glad you are on her. You will find what you need to in the way of daily support. I've only been banded since oct 5th. I'm no expert and I'm following in the footsteps of those on this board who are successful not only in their weight loss but their mindset.

Hope this info helps! Congrats again, Michele

I am very happy for you. Please, please, please take time to do your homework too. This is a very big, life altering decision. Please make sure you are informed on what those changes will be. The band is only a tool and you will have to do a lot of work to be successful. It is not saying you won't be, I just want to make sure you know what you are signing up for. Some people, even with the band, cannot change their relationship with food. If you can do that, you too will be successful! :)

Already such kind and encouraging words!!! I have done plenty of homework on this issue and have been doing so since 2003! I know the band is a tool to help me and I am hoping that the constant reminder my mother's sacrifice for me to live a better life and be a better me will lead me to even more success! It is a whirlwind to say the least, but in my natural tendency for procrastination, I tend to thrive under constant chaos!!!

Okay I'm glad to hear that you have already done a lot of research. Reading your original post I wasn't sure if it sounded like you have just made this a quick decision. I wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into. Knowing that you do rock on this will be awesome for you.