Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSAID...What do you take?

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I was just reading in a post that NSAIDs are bad for the band is this true? I was told that Aleve, Tylenol, etc were fine is that not right. If so what are we suppose to take for headaches and pains?

Tylenol is not an NSAID but Aleve is. My doctor didn't specifically tell me to stay away from NSAIDs but I stay away from them. If I don't have liquid adult Tylenol, then (and only then) I will take ibuprofen (NSAID).

I stick with Tylenol. I break up a tablet if I dont have liquid on hand, but I rarely take either......just around that time of the month.

Ive heard that about Nsaids also.

I use Celebrex (Nsaid) for a separated pelvis; Endometrosis and Adenomyosis.

I have had so much less symptoms on Celebrex than any other nsaid I have ever taken - its a soft capsule that has granules inside so its easily digestible.

My dr said to keep taking it after surgery or take the capsule apart and put it in Water to dissolve it more. Hoping the weight loss will help so I can go off the meds totally.

Taking the capsule apart isn't necessary and isn't going to solve the problems caused by NSAID's.

#1--to swallow a capsule, let it sit on your tongue for a while until you can feel it begin to soften. JUST BEFORE it dissolves, you can swallow it with some Water.

#2--The problem with NSAID's is not the swallowing of them or how long the drug is in the upper part of the stomach. The problem is that the CHEMISTRY which causes NSAID's to work also thins the mucous layer of the stomach, leaving it susceptible to other problems. (Have you noticed that after the NSAID's came on the market, so did Prilosec, Aciphex, Nexium, etc.?)

Bottom line IMHO, NSAID's should be avoided by anyone who can manage it because they cause other problems. (And, because my cousin--a judge, a smart man who was successful and should have known better--drank a least his fair share of his beloved chardonnay, the Tylenol he took for flu symptoms was all that was necessary to compromise his liver, land him in a nursing home for six months and then kill him at age 57. Every drug has its risks.)

Good luck. Maybe weight loss will lessen the pain.

Maybe weight loss will lessen the pain.

This was certainly true in my case. I used to pop pain relievers without question for any little thing; whatever was to hand. Now I can't remember the last time I took something, except Tylenol Cold for a sinus headache. My menstrual cramps are almost not noticeable any more, which may be mind over matter more than anything else.

Try going without pain medication for minor stuff, or using heat to relieve it (baths, compresses, tea). You may be very suprised at how much medication you DON'T need.

I take 1200 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hr. for arthritis. My dr. has recently switched me to Celebrex because of the upcoming surgery. She also has told me that too much Tylenol is very bad for the liver (not sure why), but it is. I'm actually hoping that losing weight will helpt the arthritis and the foot pain and I can eventually get by taking very little in the way of medicine. I have high blood pressure which is wonderfully controlled with Lopressor and Norvasc, and I will probably always have to take it, as I know that even when I was thin I was prone to high blood pressure. Everyone in my family has it. I will always have to take Lopressor 100 mg bid because of arrhythmias, but it is far safer than a lot of other medications on the market. I've taken it for about 20 years now, so it's certainly not a new drug. I don't get headaches, just the pain from the arthritis, but that can be miserable for sure. Not sure if I've helped much, but probably the Celebrex is the right answer for now....and I certainly would allow it to disolve part way before swallowing it.

You girls and guys are full of great advice. This forum has been very informative on what to expect and how to deal with it and I thank you all for sharing your experiences. Everyone should belong long before they are banded, because there would be lots fewer surprises afterwards. Now I know what to expect at least and what is normal and not normal.

I have gone down from 2 - 750mg of Vicodan 4 times a day to 1 - 200 mg of Celebrex. I was in so much pain I was passing out from it daily:phanvan not a good thing to do with small children in your care.:paranoid

If anyone has ever experienced a separated pelvis - you know how it feels - hurts to sit, walk, stand, lay down. I was in a car accident in 1999 and the 2 outer parts of the pelvis was crushed into the middle section, leaving me with a limp and major pain. After almost a year of physical therapy I was able to manage the pain and only at rare times a limp.

I have 4 children and have never had meds during natural childbirth; even during 27 hour labor <FLEXES>lol so I can handle some pain.

After my last child 3 years ago; the separation became much worse. Adenomyosis and Endometriosis plus they removed over 100 uterine polyps - just aggravated the separation and I opted out of a hysterectomy for lifestyle changes.

Sometimes no matter what you do, take meds or don't take meds, lead the healthiest lifestyle or don't lead one, you can get diseases (look at Lance Armstrong and many others) or have things go wrong with you and possibly die.

Anyone who goes to a physician of any sort, puts their life and health in that person's hands and expects to be taken care of.

NSAID's should be avoided by anyone who can manage it because they cause other problems

My view is this: one week something is good for you, the next week it's not, quit it or you're going to die (doom and gloom stuff)

That's just my opion and I don't necessarily want to put what I think into other's minds. Nsaids as well as all other drugs have their good and bad.

Maybe weight loss will lessen the pain.
I certainly hope so, the doctor thinks it might help but isn't going to relieve ALL the symptoms.
Taking the capsule apart isn't necessary and isn't going to solve the problems caused by NSAID's
I am going to take the capsule apart to be able to swallow it easier :nervous

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Thanks for all the advice. I don't take much for pills but when I get a headache I used to take Aleve but I will switch to a liquid tylenol if needed.

I am preband and have taken Motrin a lot for aches & pains caused by being overweight and lack of sleep. I now take Ambien for sleep which has helped my aching body tremendously. I would take 3-4 Motrin at a time 3 or 4 times a day before Ambien. Now I can go days without Motrin and try to take Tylenol if I do need something.

Question = Do you think I've already damaged my stomach with Mortin? Should I have some sort of test done b4 surgery? I had a lot of heartburn during both pregnancies which was to be expected. I now have occasional heartburn....3- 4 times a month. Thanks in advance!!

I don't know if this will help anyone else or not, but it has helped me. I as a general rule drink decaffeinated (sp?) drinks, iced tea, even an occasional cola. When I get a headache, (and I used to get them really bad as a PMS symptom prior to my hysterectomy) I drink something with high caffeine, and it helps. It is the main ingredient in OTC Migraine medication I was told.