Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month Down, Forever To Go

Hi All, I was banded on 9/18 and so far so good....except for the fact that for the past week or so I feel like I am starving most of the time! On June 1st, I was 295lbs and by surgery date I was down to 270. Today, I am 255 but still have 150 to go....but my 1st fill is not until Nov 13th!

I meant 105 to go. I would be satisfied if I can get down to 150lbs. Once I make it to that goal then I'll decide if the extra 20lbs to get to 130 is realistic...lol

Sorry your hungry but the closer it gets to your first fill the worse this can become. Concentrate on your portions and if hungry try and tick to healthy Snacks, a piece of fruit, a Protein Shake or part of a Protein Bar, some yogurt or a SF snack. It is key to work on your head hungry and concentrate on your portion size even though your band has not been adjusted. Basically what I am saying is just because you may be able to eat more, don't, it only makes it harder. You are doing great but like you said you have a ways to go and you need to take this one day at a time and remember this is a life style change and there are a lot of bad behaviors to change. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I think LBT is going to be a lifeline for me. It is great to see the progress and the struggles. It gives me a point of reference for what I am and will be going through. Currently, try to stick with 2oz Protein, 1/2 serving of veggies, and a 1/2 serving of fruit or LF carb for each meal and I have one snack each day. And if I am really hungry I drink a Protein Shake too. Is there a recommended number of calories that I should stick to right now. The dietitian told me not to count calories only Proteins right now. But, I am afraid that I will have too many calories and stop my weight loss progress.

Hate to say that your on track.

So you can get through it. Keep drinking Water and sf Jello and sf pops. Walk as well. You are still healing and you need to give your body and head a break. Keep coming to LBT for support. Your doing great. Your job is to be practicing the rules with the portion size, chewing, when to drink and when not to drink. You will make it.

Wendy

I am having the same issue. I was banded on 9/20 and so far so go for me too, except for the hunger. So far preop and post op I am down 41lbs. I try to stay positive and work on "the head hunger". The weight loss is slow now but I am trying to stay patient, and stick with the Protein and small portions. Luckily I get a fill on 10/31. Good luck with your journey and know you are not alone. We can do this!!!

I was told about 1000-1200 calories per day and 60+ grams of Protein per day. Also, I was told 3-4 ounces of Protein per meal (about the size of a deck of cards) so I am wondering if because you are only doing 2, you aren't staying fuller longer. The protein is what is going to help satiate you. Make sure you are drinking a lot between meals too as that will help with the hunger. :)

You are doing great, keep it up!

I haven't had the surgery yet. But are you saying when it goes in, it is just on and your stomach isn't the pouch yet? Then later, when you get a fill, it becomes the small pouch?

I haven't had the surgery yet. But are you saying when it goes in' date=' it is just on and your stomach isn't the pouch yet? Then later, when you get a fill, it becomes the small pouch?[/quote']

Just think of it as an hour glass. When you first get the band it is like a 20 minute glass ( food goes through faster because the hole is bigger) . With each fill the hour glass tightens with the ultimate goal of the green zone or the " hour glass" where it passes slow enough to keep you full for 3-4 hours.

Hope that helps

Just wondering... When do you get your first fill? Does the surgeon tell you when or is there a specific amount I weeks after surgery?

Just wondering... When do you get your first fill? Does the surgeon tell you when or is there a specific amount I weeks after surgery?

Unfortunately, no one can really answer this for you. It really varies with everyone and every doctor. Some doctors put a little fill in during surgery and then begin doing fills as early as shortly thereafter. My surgeon did my first fill at 6 weeks and didn't put anything in during surgery. Also, it typically takes several fills to find that green zone which may take weeks or months. In the interim, you will have some restriction. Lastly, it takes everyone different amounts of Fluid to find that green zone too. One person may have it with 4cc another 6cc, etc. So there is no magic timeline or formula. It is still the best decision I have made for my health and I don't regret it one bit. :)

Good luck to you.