Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie.... Bob

Hello All! I am Stef. I am 32. I had rny in 2005. I was doing great until I had my kids. Long story, short I am now 15 lbs away from where I was on surgery day :(. My pouch & stoma stretched out. I am going in for band over bypass on Oct 29. Any other bobsters out there? Any tips or advice? My surgeon doesn't do a fill for 4 months pot op!

I haven't seen any BOBsters here on LBT. I do know a few who've had mixed results. At either extreme are a woman who has done fabulously well with the BOB and another who lost no weight at all, mostly because of poor food choices and overeating due to some sad and complex emotional problems. One thing for sure: the band isn't a magic solution (any more than any other WLS procedure). Since you already have malabsorption, you may find that weight loss with the band requires more work and maintenance that it did with your bypass.

Why doesn't your surgeon do a fill for 4 months post-op? Fills are what make the band work!

Thanks for your reply. I am more than aware that it isn't magic ... Now! I got cocky after losing 90% of my excess weight and went back to old habits. I know now that I must look at bad goods like a drug addict looks at drugs... I simply cannot eat them if I to be successful. I just need a bit of help & hopefully a return to the hunger control. Any tips?

Can I jump in? Jean LOVE YOUR BANDWAGON stuff. You are a hoot.

Do yall know any reasons they would turn me down for a lap band, like fibroids in my uterus

No, Ive no tips hun, but somone will. Im a newbie. Havent even had my first physicians appt!

Sandy

Tho, I will note that after all Ive read you shouldnt have hunger pangs with a proper adjustment of the band.jmo, after reading

what is band over bypass. anyone here?

OOhhhhhhhh! Im so sorry! Hunger panhs. Heck if I was any good wit THAT. i woulndt be here. i SUCK at HP's!

just try n snack on skinny food. frozen yogurt, big big salad

you lost it before n will do it agin gal. have faith in yerself, and dont stretch the next set out. learn n go on. till the surgery, just skinny food as much as possible, as yer dr orders. talk to dr, that is what ya need! heart felt good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers! Sandy

Can I jump in? Jean LOVE YOUR BANDWAGON stuff. You are a hoot.

Do yall know any reasons they would turn me down for a lap band, like fibroids in my uterus

No, Ive no tips hun, but somone will. Im a newbie. Havent even had my first physicians appt!

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy.

I can't imagine why a surgeon or insurance company would deny WLS to you because of fibroids in your uterus. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem possible that a gynecological problem (other than endometriosis) would have any bearing on a gastrointestinal procedure. Criteria for WLS is usually based on the patient's BMI and co-morbidities (obesity-related medical issues like hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.). Criteria for insurance coverage depend on the individual policy. Oh, and a history of autoimmune disease is considered a contraindication for adjustable gastric band surgery.

just try n snack on skinny food. frozen yogurt, big big salad

I know you mean well, but that's not useful advice. Frozen yogurt may be "skinny" compared to ice cream, but it's a slider food that provides a little nutrition and no satiety. Also, a big, big serving of anything is not appropriate for any WLS patient. Foods commonly found in a salad can be problematic for a bandster: raw veggies can be difficult to eat, and the fixings (like croutons, cheese, etc.) and Salad Dressing can cancel out any benefit derived from the veggies.

what is band over bypass. anyone here?

BOB, or band-over-bypass, is the placement of an adjustable gastric band over the pouch of a gastric bypass patient who has experienced disappointing weight loss or weight regain.

Thanks for your reply. I am more than aware that it isn't magic ... Now! I got cocky after losing 90% of my excess weight and went back to old habits. I know now that I must look at bad goods like a drug addict looks at drugs... I simply cannot eat them if I to be successful. I just need a bit of help & hopefully a return to the hunger control. Any tips?

Sounds like you've got your head on straight! One of the most successful bandsters I know took the exact same approach and vowed not to eat her trigger foods (including anything sugary) at all. She's 3 years post-op and maintaining a 130-lb weight loss. Another bandster who lost 120 lbs in the first 9 months after her band surgery says that her weight loss slowed and stopped the instant she let sugar back into her diet.

Any tips?

Gosh, I could write a whole book of tips for band success. Oh, wait a minute! I did write a book about it!

At this point in your WLS journey, i would suggest that you spend some time reading threads here on LBT so you can get an idea of what works and doesn't work for other bandsters, and ask questions as you go along.

Yes, purchase Jean McMillan's book, Bandwagon.

Everything you need to know and then some.

Best Wishes!