Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irrational Food Fears

Im only 3 days away from being banded and my brain is consumed with thoughts of deprivation. Am I the only one going through this? Its making me wanna run out and eat pizza! I live on chicken and thoughts of not being able to eat it and pizza and oranges are making me sad and want to run away from this whole thing. I need to get my head on straight..

Im only 3 days away from being banded and my brain is consumed with thoughts of deprivation. Am I the only one going through this? Its making me wanna run out and eat pizza! I live on chicken and thoughts of not being able to eat it and pizza and oranges are making me sad and want to run away from this whole thing. I need to get my head on straight..

It's totally normal to be scared. I think I was the same way. I'm about 4.5 months post op and I don't deprive myself. It's all about making smart choices, but there's no food that I've had to give up entirely. You will just need to eat smaller portions, chew a lot, and take smaller bites. Good luck!

Don't worry!!!! I am over two years out from surgery and I eat just about everything. Less quantity, chewing really well with small bites, etc. if I had thought that I would never be able to eat pizza again, it would have been a deal breaker! Of course, I only eat the toppings now and some of the outside crust, but I have pizza every Friday which is a family tradition.

As for chicken, I have changed the way I cook it (usually with a moist cooking method and a sauce of some sort ) but I still eat chicken several times a week. Oranges- just slice them across- it cuts through most of the membrane. Don't rule out any healthy foods, just change the way you cook and eat them. I do have some trouble with Pasta and rice, but I can live with having them with a lot of sauce.

Don't stress about all the foods you are losing-focus on the positives coming your way...

Normal, and yes in the beginning there will be foods that you can not eat but as stated above by others over time you learn to eat just about anything. Everyone has a few things that are more difficult than others to eat and you learn not to eat them. But I will share with you that the first few months post op were very emotional for me. I was an emotional eater, so when I was upset, frustrated, stressed, etc I would graze and eat things unconsciously. The most difficult part of this journey for me was get a grip on "Head Hunger". I cried, I complained loudly to my family, I was a bit of a food Nazi on what others ate in front of me. Honestly I mourned the loss of food or maybe not the loss but the ability to just eat when ever I wanted and the quantities I wanted. Portion size was always a problem for me, my easy are bigger than my stomach sorta thing. I measured foods and still do,it just helps me. Support systems are key to success. My advice is don't stress over what you can't control but focus on what is right in front of you. The person in the mirror, learn to accept she will have good days and bad days but if she is consistent, stays focused and believes in herself and forgives herself if she is not perfect she will be successful.

Good luck and don't binge before you have surgery. If you really want something your afraid you won't be able to eat, than eat it but eat a healthy serving.

Good luck and much success!

Normal' date=' and yes in the beginning there will be foods that you can not eat but as stated above by others over time you learn to eat just about anything. Everyone has a few things that are more difficult than others to eat and you learn not to eat them. But I will share with you that the first few months post op were very emotional for me. I was an emotional eater, so when I was upset, frustrated, stressed, etc I would graze and eat things unconsciously. The most difficult part of this journey for me was get a grip on "Head Hunger". I cried, I complained loudly to my family, I was a bit of a food Nazi on what others ate in front of me. Honestly I mourned the loss of food or maybe not the loss but the ability to just eat when ever I wanted and the quantities I wanted. Portion size was always a problem for me, my easy are bigger than my stomach sorta thing. I measured foods and still do,it just helps me. Support systems are key to success. My advice is don't stress over what you can't control but focus on what is right in front of you. The person in the mirror, learn to accept she will have good days and bad days but if she is consistent, stays focused and believes in herself and forgives herself if she is not perfect she will be successful.

Good luck and don't binge before you have surgery. If you really want something your afraid you won't be able to eat, than eat it but eat a healthy serving.

Good luck and much success![/quote']

What a motivational statement. You sound like me:) thanks for sharing. The thoughts you expressed along with failure are what goes through my mind. Nice to hear I'm not alone:)

Once you are healed you should be able to eat most foods. I also love pizza. I now eat it as a treat not daily which I used to do before. The only foods I have trouble with is really cheap bread and raw baby carrots.