Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Restriction!?!?!

Hello All,

So I've had a bit of drama happen to me with my band. I got my band done in Mexico in March, went for my first fill in may, and was fine. Then went for my second fill in july, but was too tight. Being that I got my fills in Mexico, they couldnt help me in an emergency situation such as this because the doctors are only available one week a month in Tijuana. I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration, and had to do some research online to find a doctor in the Los Angeles area or the Orange County area. Luckily, I found one, and he did a complete unfill, and drained my band, and told me to go back in a month. I wasnt able to go back until September, and when I did, the Dr requested an UGI. Once I did that I was good to start over, and get my second "1st" fill. Now my problem is i went on friday, and over the weekend, i had NO restriction. So i went back on Monday, and got a readjustment and still no restriction. But due to being over filled in july from Mexico, I am freaked out about going back to get adjustment AGAIN. So my question is does anyone suggest anything? Please help?!

Sometimes it can take a few days or even weeks for restriction to kick in after a fill. I'd wait a couple weeks and see what happens.

Questions?

How much are you eating at meals and how much?

How long do you stay satisfied between meals?

How much Protein are you eating at each meal?

Are you doing any shakes for added protein?

The band is not about restriction, if you are expecting the band to tell you when to stop eating you are going to be very disappointed in how the band works. The purpose of the band is to help you stay satisfied between meals. The reason they preach to us to eat slowly and stop eating at 20 minutes is for this reason. That is the amount of time it takes the brain to trigger your gut that it has been fed. The other point I want to make is that if the band is to tight,(like you had before) you will become dehydrated, you will have more PB episodes and nutritionally it is not good for you. A lot of bandster get caught up in wanting the band to be tight so they eat less, if you get on this merry go round it is hard to get off. Sadly the band only work if you eat less and exercise more and a lot of the work about 95% has to come from you. If you can increase your protein and maybe add a supplement between meals to help curb your appetite it may help. i speak from experience and success, the band does work but you have to do a lot of work to make the band work.

Questions?

Are you doing any shakes for added Protein?

The band is not about restriction' date=' if you are expecting the band to tell you when to stop eating you are going to be very disappointed in how the band works. The purpose of the band is to help you stay satisfied between meals. The reason they preach to us to eat slowly and stop eating at 20 minutes is for this reason. That is the amount of time it takes the brain to trigger your gut that it has been fed. The other point I want to make is that if the band is to tight,(like you had before) you will become dehydrated, you will have more PB episodes and nutritionally it is not good for you. A lot of bandster get caught up in wanting the band to be tight so they eat less, if you get on this merry go round it is hard to get off. Sadly the band only work if you eat less and exercise more and a lot of the work about 95% has to come from you. If you can increase your protein and maybe add a supplement between meals to help curb your appetite it may help. i speak from experience and success, the band does work but you have to do a lot of work to make the band work.[/quote']

I have a friend who got to the fill point that she can't eat anything before 4pm or she will pb. She also eats chips after that. So despite being too tight she risks the malnourishment of only eating chips. She lost a lot of weight this way but now she's at a standstill. Hmm.

I agree that you should hold off for atleast 2 weeks. It took me almost 4 months to get good restriction with 4 fills. Then on the last one it hit with a vingance. I started loosing really quicky because I DID have the restriction with the inability to eat alot of food. It def told me when to stop. It lasted about 6 months with continuded loss. Slow but steady. I did however develop a B-12 deficency. I have never been one to do the shakes ect.........I eat normal food just not so much of it. I do however notice since the B12 shots I dont crav carbs. I guess I have enough energy now. lol. Anyway..I had 2 more fills sincee and this last one is rather tight. Last week end I actually got something stuck. NOT something you want to do. I was about 1 hour away from the ER but it finnally came up.( i know yuck). But now I dont seem to have as much restriction as I did before it happened. Sooooo i guess my point is that your restriction can fluctuate between fills. Give it sometime and if It dosent tighten up deff go back. I dont know anything about the Mexico protocol I am sure its probably cheaper than here you just may need to take a trip a few weeks at a time till your adjusted properly. Dont give up it will work just may take time...

Questions?

Are you doing any shakes for added Protein?

The band is not about restriction, if you are expecting the band to tell you when to stop eating you are going to be very disappointed in how the band works. The purpose of the band is to help you stay satisfied between meals. The reason they preach to us to eat slowly and stop eating at 20 minutes is for this reason. That is the amount of time it takes the brain to trigger your gut that it has been fed. The other point I want to make is that if the band is to tight,(like you had before) you will become dehydrated, you will have more PB episodes and nutritionally it is not good for you. A lot of bandster get caught up in wanting the band to be tight so they eat less, if you get on this merry go round it is hard to get off. Sadly the band only work if you eat less and exercise more and a lot of the work about 95% has to come from you. If you can increase your protein and maybe add a supplement between meals to help curb your appetite it may help. i speak from experience and success, the band does work but you have to do a lot of work to make the band work.

Sadly the band only work if you eat less and exercise more and a lot of the work about 95% has to come from you. The band does work but you have to do a lot of work to make the band work.

words to live by..now if just people would adhere to it

I'm shocked a doctor would give you another fill only days after the initial fill. It can take up to two weeks for a fill to take effect. It is after all liquid that can move around in the band and tube from the port. It took me 6 months of fills before I got restiction. In your case it seems like you need to take a slower course of action since you were overfilled in the past. Not what you wanted to hear I know but the band is connected to living tissue and thus not subject to logic.

Well when I went in to get a complete unfill the dr took out 4ccs which was everything in the band. When I went back he put 2.2ccs. He told me I most likely wont feel restriction and told me to exercise more. When I was getting my fills in Mexico I would feel a restriction hours after the fill. I guess because of my experience from Mexico it put me in a situation that it scares me. I am basically able to eat anything and feel nothing. When I eat I am fine for hours. But I know I am suppose to eat 4-5 small amounts a day and I can't even do that. I don't know what's going on. I'm just frustrated. I need to be eating a balanced diet and because I'm always on the go its not helping. If anyone can help me create a menu that would be nice :) I have my gym pass but haven't been going consistently because I'm not eating enough throughout the day. I try to stick to nutritional Snacks and Protein for meals. I'm going to start "over" today with my eating so that I can go to the gym tonight. I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for the responses. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First, you need to see a nutritionist. They can help you set up food guidelines specifically for you as well as teach you how to eat with the band.

Next, you need to realize the band isn't supposed to stop you from eating anything. It's not even meant to make you feel stuffed full. The only thing the band is supposed to do is keep you satiated on less food for longer periods. Have a look at this link to better explain it: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Finally, fills take time. It's not uncommon for people to need multiple fills before having adequate Fluid in their band. Most good doctors prefer to to fill slowly so you don't accidentally end up over-filled like you have already experienced. So, be patient, it'll come it just takes time.

Best wishes.