Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Do???

Hey all,

I'm 3 yrs post op and I've lost close to 100 lbs (and don't mind saying I'm in a size 8 now!). About 6 mths ago, I started getting really bad nightime reflux. Went to the dr and the xray showed a minimal slip. So my dr took out about 1/2 of my 9.5cc fill (I have a 14cc band) and let it rest for 4 weeks). The reflux stopped immediately - yeah! 4 weeks later, Without doing a follow-up xray, he put 1cc in. No reflux, but also no restriction. Went back in 3 weeks later and he put another 1cc in. That night the reflux started again. So I went back in. The xray showed the band was still in the same exact place. He told me that he treats the symptoms, not the xray. So he took out the previous 1cc he had put in and said if that worked, then I was fine. It did (I occasionally have reflux if I sleep on my right side, but for the most part, it's good). I have very minimal restriction, like after 6 pm, I can eat the side of a barn! Before 6pm, I'm still very much banded.

I've gained 16 lbs and my jeans won't button anymore.

My dr is 6 hrs round trip and $160 each time I see him (+ extra if I need an xray). I really don't want to empty it totally and start from scratch again, meaning a small fortune in copays and gas in tiny fills to get me to the green spot again. And the dr says I'm safe as long as I don't have symptoms I've read somewhere about the "5 day pouch test", where I go back to post op liquids for 5 days and it's sposed to help with restriction. I'm willing to go on liquids for a while to see if that helps, but exactly how would it help? I'm truly into the physiology of things and have to know the reason "how" before I do it.

I miss my old band! I've prided myself on the fact that I haven't dieted thru these 100 lbs, I've eaten what I wanted to, just eating very little. That's why I got the band in the first place. What would you do? Is my band beyond saving, or do I have a chance of keeping it the way it is?

Thanks!

Marci

I don't have the answer but I am keen to see what others say. YOU KNOW I am thinking about you and hoping for a good solution.

Hugs.

The 5 day pouch test is supposed to "shrink" your upper stomach pouch but I don't believe it does. I think what it does is break the cycle of carb addiction by forcing you to eat nothing but Protein for 5 days.

I know that seeing your surgeon is difficult and expensive, but to me it would be worth the time and $$ to go see him and find out what he thinks you should do: remove your band, replace it with a different model/size band, revise to a different procedure, or whatever approach will give you the best outcome in his expert opinion.

Good luck!