Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green Zone!

I left some things out that might help me get an answer. I went for a fill yesterday. I have a 14cc band and as of yesterday I have 6.6 cc's in my band. Before yesterday, I would be able to eat large portions without a problem and now, I ate but not even half of what I usually eat and I had to throw some up. Sorry for being gross. Is that because I overate or maybe because it got stuck?

Hi Patty,

Last thing you want to do is throw up. It's not fun and its not healthy for your band. Excessive vomiting could possibly cause a band to slip and create a whole new ball of problems.

What you want to do is eat enough to satisfy you and then stop. You want to be able to go 4 hours without getting hungry and your appetite should be suppressed..... If you do get hungry you have to ask yourself is It real hunger or is it head hunger.

Hope that helps. Also check out the links at the bottom of my signature regarding restriction. Very helpful articles.

Good Luck Jim

It sounds like you PB'd rather than actually vomited, and I would be willing to guess you ate too fast and/or too big of bites. Try taking smaller bites and pausing between them, it should help resolve stuck episodes. Please keep in mind the band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating, the Portion Control will always be yours to do. So, look for satiety not a full feeling. It definitely takes some getting used to and there's quite the learning curve. When you're in the Green Zone, you can be satisfied on a cup or less of food and not hungry for at least 4 hours.

Best wishes.

Thank you Jim and Mis73! Jim, I do not see any link under your name. Can you give it to me? Mis73, what is PB'd? Sorry I do not know everything yet :) Also, I did chew chew chew and waited for a while then I took a last bite and sip of juice and that is when I felt like thorowing up. I guess I do have a restriction now right? Maybe I finally hit the green zone?

PB is Productive Burping

Hi pattyrg15. I had the same question when I went for my first fill. After 3 fills, I have reached my Green! I can eat about 3/4cup of food at a time and I am hungry about every four hours. Luckily I have not had any PB but I have had chest pain due to food getting stuck and overeating. It usually happens when I eat too fast or am not really paying attention to my chewing. It lasts only a few minutes and usually if I get up and walk around it helps. I find that meat of any kind... chicken, pork, haven't tried steak... unless it is ground., bread, unless its toasted or really crusty, are a problem. pizza and french fries don't really work either. (I know, not supposed to have them anyway, but I took a shot ;-) Don't get discouraged, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

Thank you Jim and Mis73! Jim, I do not see any link under your name. Can you give it to me? Mis73, what is PB'd? Sorry I do not know everything yet :) Also, I did chew chew chew and waited for a while then I took a last bite and sip of juice and that is when I felt like thorowing up. I guess I do have a restriction now right? Maybe I finally hit the green zone?

The sip of juice may have been what brought your food back up. Besides the fact most of us are told by our surgeons not to drink during meals and to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink, a lot of us simply can't because if we drink while eating the food will come back up.

PBing is productive burping. It's not the same as vomiting because it's not violent and doesn't involve the stomach retching. It's essentially burping the food back up gently.