Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cholesterol Levels Increasing After Surgery?

I have never had problems with my cholesterol levels, even at my highest weight. They were always normal, never even near boarderline. So imagine my surprise when me recent blood work shows my levels are high and my dr wants to start me on medication. I've lost 70 pounds, and probably are healthier than I have ever been. The only thing I can think is that since surgery I've been eating more Protein in the form of eggs and cheese. Would that cause an increase in me cholesterol levels? Has anyone else had this happen? I really don't want to add a medication. I go in monday to talk to my dr about what I should do.

Yes, I have heard of this happening and you hit the nail right on the head! Besides our age, weight, and hormones naturally cholesterol levels would spike. Now, since sugery you mentioned you have been eating more Protein, more eggs, and cheese.

Are you eating 'lean' meats? Reduced fat cheese? Egg whites only? If you said no, you might want to reduce this just to see on your next blood work if your levels lowered. I never had a problem with cholestrol at all, even at my huge weight. However, I am eating reduced fats, eating only lean meats, and egg whites only. I also get in an adequate amount of Fiber, green tea, garlic, and nuts to help in the future.

These are very good in helping to lower cholesterol: Garlic, oats, flaxseed, green tea, Fiber, fish, and nuts.

Interesting situation please lets us know what doctor says about this. The eggs and cheese are good in limitation so you might be on to something there. cut them down or out for 3 mo and see what happens

line dancer

Definately cut out whole eggs! I have genetically bad cholesterol. I had to go on a Statin even after loosing 150 pounds and exercising at least an hour a day 7 days a week. I never eat full fat cheese, whole eggs, red meat or pork.

When you lose weight, you are mobilizing energy stored as fat, and that fat is mobilized as fatty acids and triglycerides into the bloodstream. This flood of fatty acids, which interact with other elements in the bloodstream can block insulin, increase triglycerides, decrease HDL (good cholesterol), and can make LDL levels fluctuate. Many doctors recognize this as a normal part of weight loss (the inevitable mobilization of fatty acids) and feel that decisions regarding this should not be made immediately as usually these values are transient and won't last forever. Although as we know, every doc is different, so obviously discuss with your doctor, but this is what I've learned through nursing and research. Hope this helps.

This happens to some people on a high Protein, low carb diet. Definitely talk to your doctor and see if possibly your food guidelines need to be changed for your specific needs.

This is actually one of the reason I don't limit carbs. I did Atkins years ago, which is almost no carbs, and my cholesterol went through the roof and I ended up with a very bad kidney infection from a build up of Proteins.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks for all the advice. This is my primary care dr, the one who hasn't even acknowledge that I've lost 70 pounds in the last 5 months, so I'm not exactly thrilled with her. I think I'm going to she what she says and then also talk to my surgeon and nutritionist at the surgery center.