Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking With Meals

I am pre-band and tonight I'm eating spicy chili and thinking....I know one of the ten commandments of banding is NO drinking with meals....so here is my question...

I know that drinking during meals makes the food flow throught the stoma faster thus loosing the optimum band effect, but if you need a SIP of Water in the middle of eating something spicy, would that be okay? Maybe take a sip to clear your mouth and eat something else if spicy food makes drinking during meals too much of a challenge?

Any and all advice would be great!

The answer to the question is yes. The food really does not sit in the band as a lot of people think, Water will not really push it through if anything liguids may make you throw up if you drink with eating or if used to push food though the band. Your pouch is small, liquids take up space just like food so if you eat and drink at the same time you will get full quicker and not be able to take in enough nutrition, aka Protein. So yes you can have a sip but you should really try not to make a habit of this.

maybe try sucking on ice chips next time....?

I drink with my meals if I need to but it's important to wait a few mins to be certain the food has passed through the band. After drinking you also have to wait a few mins. As instructed by my surgeon it's ok to drink with meals. Have been doing this since day one and am lucky to have not had any problems and I'm down over 60 pounds in nearly four months.

I will occasionally have a sip of ice Water but after 19 months you learn to get used to it. Definitely don't want to gulp water down before a meal or after...I never thought I could do it. You will want to stay hydrated at all other times of the day.

I always have emergency Water with a meal. But I try and chose my food carefully so I follow the doctors rules as much as possible. But as stated already, ice chips will work better than gulping down water.

but if you need a SIP of Water in the middle of eating something spicy, would that be okay? Maybe take a sip to clear your mouth and eat something else if spicy food makes drinking during meals too much of a challenge?

I have on a rare occassion sipped something to clear my mouth. I just have done it slowly and waited a bit before resuming eating. I have also accidentially taken a drink of something without thinking and know first hand that for me the liquid will push up the food I just ate and it will come back on me. Not always but its a potential disaster I try to avoid.

It is one of the hardest things to train yourself to do.... At home I make sure not to even have liquid near the table when I am eating. Restaurants are more challenging but I usually slide the Water glass out of reach.

Good luck to you!

As already stated, new studies have come out saying the food doesn't stay above the band for more than a minute, contrary to what they originally believed. However, if say you're eating too fast or really big bites, that could definitely cause a bit of a food "back log" resulting in it taking longer to go through. So, first and foremost, be sure to take small bites and go slow.

With that said, most people I've talked to don't have a problem with food "washing through" too fast (as referenced above) but rather the Water coming back up at them if they drink while eating. A couple times I've had a very small sip of Water during a meal if something is way too spicy, and while it didn't come back up at me, it was extremely uncomfortable. I felt a lot of gurgling and pressure and it pretty much killed whatever appetite I had because of the discomfort.

My opinion (and I'm not a doctor, so definitely listen to your doc above everyone else) is that a tiny sip when absolutely necessarily is fine, just be prepared until you know how your specific band is going to react. Having food and water gurgle back up at you at a restaurant isn't pleasant.

Best wishes to you!

I am glad someone bought this topic up because it is one I had difficulty with since day one.....

Last week was my third follow up visit with my surgeon and while discussing my progress "I" took the liberty of telling him my flaw with the band. I was honest and very truthful. I told him 95% of the time I drink right after I eat. I try and wait it out for at least 30 minutes, but majority of the time I cannot. I told him I am very careful in do this, (careful not to gulp).

His response to me was this; Its okay to drink with meals and there is a reason we tell our patients not to do so because you are to get a 'fullness' thats last for hours, thus if drinking right away will simply 'wash' the food down quicker, resulting in feeling hungry sooner. He also mentioned it was important that I make sure while I was doing this that my food must be chewed up fine, like mush before swallowing. I assured him I did because he did state if there are chunks of food left in the pouch and I decide to drink right after the end result would not be pleasant.

Now, looking at my history of my weight loss he has come to the conclusion that this is not a problem for me since I have been doing this since day one. I was just told to be very careful and try not to gulp or drown myself with liquids soon after a meal. He said whatever I am doing is working for ME!

Conclusion: This does not work with everyone, and as stated I discussed this with 'my' surgeon. As every surgeon is different with their patients, different rules, different theories, etc.. YOU need to listen to what YOUR Surgeon is telling you. Be honest when speaking with your surgeon about certain issues you are having. That is what they are there for, to help...

So far I haven't had issues with throwing up if I drink with my meal. I usually take a tiny sip if I absolutely have to. I also believe that I don't get sick because I desperately need my first fill. (I go on the 6th of November;) Reading now that you can throw up when eating if you drink I will definitely be a avoiding it :)

well, i drink right up to the time i am eating.

i eat and then i wait for about 20-30 minutes after i finish to drink again.

granted, i have took a sip or two whilst eating but very rare.

i guess its depending on the person and what their doctor says

to do or not to do. id go by what your dr recommends for you.

I have a certain bottle that holds 4 cups of water.....

I fill it first thing in the morning...then I sip/gulp all day long....

at meal times I have to move the cup out of sight so I dont sip during my meals....after 30 mins...I grab it again and drink...I get a easy 8 to 10 glasses of Water in every day thanks to my favorit shake cup...I havent been seen with out it in a yr now. its my new best friend.....lol