Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Bug Means Unfill?

I just had to pick up my poor son from school as he is vomiting and feels just awful. The nurse said there is a stomach bug going around that hits kids out of the blue first thing in the morning, and most kids go home, rest and are back the next day. Obviously some kind of 24 hour bug.

My concern is that the P.A. at my surgeon's office said that if anyone in my house gets sick, I have to call them and arrange to come in and have all the Fluid pulled from my band. I just got my first 5cc fill yesterday! I am so disappointed, but obviously don't want to get sick and risk dislodging the band. I have four kids, so usually viruses like this travel through our house and this could possibly drag on for a few days.

Has anyone else had to have the Fluid drained due to family members being sick? Just curious. I have a script for Zofran, but I know I should still call and have the fluid removed. I am just so bummed!

I am not a Dr.... so please follow your physcian's advice but.... my Dr told me the same thing early on. I havent had a stomach bug in 23 months...I had a fill a week ago Friday. On Monday I couldnt keep anything down and I determined it was a bug.... I gave it a couple days just drinking liquids, Soup, protien shakes etc...anything not to irritate my band and it was fine. I only had one episode of throwing up but becasue it was mostly liquid... it didnt seem to be an issue. I thought about it but I didnt get an unfill. Not saying that will work for you but it did for me and I even managed to lose a few lbs. I am back to normal and hopefully that was my bug for the year. ;)

Thanks for sharing! I hope my son recovers quickly because if that was the only vomiting episode he has, I feel I'll probably be fine. Keeping fingers crossed and going to see how things go over the next few hours.

My surgeon's office says the same thing; I think it is because you can't truly vomit with the band, and straining will cause a slip. Believe me, been there, done that!!! Take care, sometimes we won't get the bug, as our bodies have seen many of them and can fight them better than the kiddos! Best wishes, Karen

My surgeon's office says the same thing; I think it is because you can't truly vomit with the band, and straining will cause a slip. Believe me, been there, done that!!! Take care, sometimes we won't get the bug, as our bodies have seen many of them and can fight them better than the kiddos! Best wishes, Karen

Thank you Karen. I am hoping that's the case. When I used to do school nursing many years ago, I never got sick, probably because I developed immunities as you suggested, but now, it's just me and my kiddos. I hate this time of year because my oldest son is immunocompromised, so he tends to get sick a lot with viruses. So far, everyone else is healthy, so I have him quarantined to his room right now. lol! (He is a teenager, so he is perfectly content with that!) ;)

I had a weird short bug recently. I did end up vomiting. My dr said unless u continue to get sick to not worry unless felt pain. I was OK. I can't imagine unfilling without you being sick.

I didn't know unfills were advised with tummy bugs, my surgeon does want me to use Zofran and focus on hydration. I know we can easily get degraded...he suggests come in after vomiting if you have pain or can't keep liquids down ( that's where IV and Phenergen drip comes in) hope you feel better. Tummy bugs r hittin'