Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do I Know If This Is For Me?

Hi everyone!

I have been trying to do my research about the lap band to see if it is for me. I need to loose at least 60-70 pounds and have truly exhausted my resources. I have been on birth control (implant) for about 4 and a half years and have gained a HUGE amount of weight. About 3 years ago I joined the army and they said I was overweight when I was 135 pounds (I am 5'1) and when I was exercising everyday nonstop for 3 and a half months I was still 135 but SOLID muscle. I did not slim at all because of the diet I was on. So when I came home I was still working out 3 times a week and now work out at least 2 times due to the busy schedule I have. I don't eat awful or even alot but I have gainned a tremendous amount of weight and even working out does not shhed a pound. I want to still work out but hashow results. How do I know this is for me?

I don't think it's for everyone but when I starting looking into it I made appointments with 3 drs, did online research and came to a decision based on the facts.

The one thing I can tell you is the band isn't a miracle cure. I do not believe you can be successful without dedication and hard work and a commitment to success....well that and a drastic reduction in calories and portions!

Best of luck to you.

Hey, fellow Army vet here! I was overweight when I joined at 29 (175 lbs), at 5'5", but my fat neck helped me with the measurement part (where they measure you in like 8 different places and punch the numbers into the computer). I think I lost 14 lbs during basic training, kept it off during AIT, and then slowly started gaining again once I got to Germany (it's the food there, I tell ya!). I was counseled twice because of my weight, but never had to do the extra PT and Army diet (ie: the "fat mans program") and when I left because of a back injury 4 yrs later, I weighed close to 200 lbs.

I would do alot of research on banding. I know there are some people who get banded who have to lose just 50 lbs. I personally wouldn't do it for just 50 lbs, altho I know it's just as hard to get off 50 as it is to get off 100. I just think surgery is too drastic for that. I've had my band for 3 yrs and wish that the plication was around with banding then. You don't have to worry as much about slips (which I've had 6 mths ago). Also the maintenance is why I chose the band over the sleeve, thinking that I could always just "tighten up" all my life and never worry about stretching my stomach back again (like a lot of bypassers do). Now that I have to pay out of pocket $160 + drive 6 hrs for just a minor tweak (5x one month a few months ago), I'm starting to rethink my more-maintenance-is-best decision. You really have to be comfortable about followups in the coming years. I went 18 mths without a single adjustment, and the last 6 mths since my slip, I've gone to the dr at least 8-10 times.

Does your insurance cover the band? How far are you from the dr you'd like to use? Are you ready to fully change your way of eating (I find that while I eat MUCH less than previously, I'm still obsessed with food - thinking about my next meal during the previous one. It didn't really help that). Just do lots of research. And go to a couple of seminars from a couple of different doctors.

That being said, I would do my banding all over again in a heartbeat! Love, love, love my band and being a size 8! Would choose it all over again!

Good luck with your decision.

Marci

Thank you both for your responses.

@Marci

I can really relate to you! Thanks for your imput it has helped me alot. My husband is a marine and says that I am thinking too drastically about doing something like this but will support me with whatever decision I chose. (Coming from the guy who works out for a week and loses 3 pounds! -_-) I am willing to do whatever it takes to be healthy again. I don't feel healthy and I hate that feeling. And at this point am ready to do whatever it will take to get me to 115 pounds again. (My healthy weight)

My mother got gastric bypass about 7 years ago and I remember her talking about getting the band and the risks that were involved with it. Of course alot has changed since then but if you don't mind me asking, how does a slip happen? Is it something that can happen when working out or maybe eating too much? I am just afraid of doing sit ups and the BAM!

Also, how does it go with eating? I mean don't get me wrong thanksgiving dinner is great but do you just eat smaller portions? (Kinda like gastric bypass?)

Thank you so much for sharing your success story with me.

Emma

The band is not magic. And in fact it may not do anyting for you for the first 6 months (until you get restriction from fills). You commented that exercise does'nt help you loose weight. Well 2 days a week isn't really doing anything for you. My doctor wants at least 30 minutes a day 7 days a week.

Right, my cardio is through the roof though. Of course this is going to take alot of work, as does anything you want to achieve. I just don't know what will work for me. I guess I just need to go talk to a doctor, I guess I am just afraid to, which I am not sure why.

Thank you both for your responses.

@Marci

I can really relate to you! Thanks for your imput it has helped me alot. My husband is a marine and says that I am thinking too drastically about doing something like this but will support me with whatever decision I chose. (Coming from the guy who works out for a week and loses 3 pounds! -_-) I am willing to do whatever it takes to be healthy again. I don't feel healthy and I hate that feeling. And at this point am ready to do whatever it will take to get me to 115 pounds again. (My healthy weight)

My mother got gastric bypass about 7 years ago and I remember her talking about getting the band and the risks that were involved with it. Of course alot has changed since then but if you don't mind me asking, how does a slip happen? Is it something that can happen when working out or maybe eating too much? I am just afraid of doing sit ups and the BAM!

Also, how does it go with eating? I mean don't get me wrong thanksgiving dinner is great but do you just eat smaller portions? (Kinda like gastric bypass?)

Thank you so much for sharing your success story with me.

Emma

I still eat everything at Thanksgiving dinner, just 2-3 bites of each thing. And I'm totally satisfied. It's hard to understand now - when it feels so good to eat so much. Once you have restriction (and the previous poster was right, you may not get it right away. I didn't until my 3rd fill, 5 mths into it), you'll be amazed how you quickly you will push yourself away from the table. As in one more bite will cause extreme pain. Now, alot of people with bands can't tolerate some foods. Mostly breads, Pasta, rice, meats, and fibrous fruits and veggies. Until you get to know your band a little better, it's best to limit these things until you figure out what your can personally toerate. I can eat almost anything (except pizza crust, pineapple chunks,a nd pancakes). I eat bread, Pasta, and rice regularly. I don't count or measure anything. That sounds too much like dieting to me and I quit dieting when I got the band. When your band is adjusted correctly (and it may take several fills to do so), it'll let you know when you're had enuf and what to avoid. There's also foods called "sliders" which are foods (usually soft, like ice cream, yogurt, pudding) that "slide" right thru and don't make a difference in your satiety. For me it's popcorn. I can still eat a bucket of popcorn at the movies! It's different in most people, but I've found that junk food (candy, Cookies, cakes) are mostly sliders in EVERYONE. Be careful with these things.

As for the slip, there's numerous way to cause a slip. I've never heard of anyone getting them from exercise tho. Mine was caused by throwing up. I threw up my way-too-fast eaten food about 4-6x a week. My band hung in there for 2 1/2 yrs before protesting. So I caution you to practice eating slowly. I learned to eat fast in basic training. If you didn't eat in 5 mins, you didn't eat! The past 6 mths, I've learned to slow it down. Am I perfect? Absolutely not. I still find myself "stuck" occasionally, but now I don't stick my toothbrush down my throat to bring it back up. I suffer with it till it goes away. And try to avoid it later. Being "stuck" means that either you didn't chew well enuf, you ate too fast, or took too big of bites and the food literally gets stuck in your esophagus. And it hurts. I've heard of different way to get "unstuck" and you might want to search those posts. Look for "stuck episodes". There's lots of posts on it. YOu can also slip your band by eating too much, too often. One meal overeaten probably won't cause a slip, but constantly overeating (and I physically couldn't do that the first 2 1/2 yrs) can also cause a slip. Some slips can be corrected by unfilling, resting, and slowly filling it back up. Some have to be dealt with in surgery, by replacing the band. Thank God mine didn't require that! mine is still slightly slipped, tho and I think I'm the only one I know of on this site who's doctor doesn't seem to want to do anything about it. Mine just says as long as I don't have symptoms (nausea, reflux, pain), he'll leave it be. I could keep anything down, I just had severe nightime reflux to the point where I had to sleep propped up on 3 pillows and took 1 RX and 2 OTC acid blockers + I could own stock in the Tums company. And I'd still wake up in the middle of the nite with stomach acid on my pillow. It's too bad tho that I don't have the premium restriction I once had. After 6 pm, I have to white knuckle it now as I could graze all nite and not be full.

Hope that helps - explaining a "slip". If you follow the rules, chew your food well, take tiny bites, and avoid vomiting, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Good luck to you!

Marci