Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch To 5K On A Treadmill?

Hi all you runners out there. I want to start running again but in the past (a longggg time ago) when I ran it was always on the open road. I built up slowly till I was running long distances.Now I'm ready to start again but I'm not sure where/how to start. If it didn't get dark so early now I'd start running outside again, but by the time I can get out light becomes a factor. That leaves the gym, which I go to regularly. I'd like to try the couch to 5K program but can't figure out how easy it would be to always be changing my running speed on a treadmill. Has anyone done it that way? How did it work? Any tips or ideas? Thanks!

Hi all you runners out there. I want to start running again but in the past (a longggg time ago) when I ran it was always on the open road. I built up slowly till I was running long distances.Now I'm ready to start again but I'm not sure where/how to start. If it didn't get dark so early now I'd start running outside again' date=' but by the time I can get out light becomes a factor. That leaves the gym, which I go to regularly. I'd like to try the couch to 5K program but can't figure out how easy it would be to always be changing my running speed on a treadmill. Has anyone done it that way? How did it work? Any tips or ideas? Thanks![/quote']

It works ok, just kinda boring.

Couch to 5k is a GREAT program. I'm just starting week six and I love it. I opted to try this program on the treamill and adjusting the speed is really no hastle. If anything it keeps me focused on walking/jogging at the correct times. I'm walking at 3.0 and jogging at 5.0 and that seems to be the ideal speed for me. Most treadmills even have a "walk" "jog" "run" button that you can press to adjust the speed easily. This program starts from very easy to pushing yourself as hard as you can. The first three weeks may even feel too easy, don't push yourself to extend the workout. The purpose of it is to build your muscles gradually so that you have the muscle and stamina to complete each week that follows. This program is great for first time runners (like myself) or for someon who would like to get back into shape. Good luck!

Couch to 5k is a GREAT program. I'm just starting week six and I love it. I opted to try this program on the treamill and adjusting the speed is really no hastle. If anything it keeps me focused on walking/jogging at the correct times. I'm walking at 3.0 and jogging at 5.0 and that seems to be the ideal speed for me. Most treadmills even have a "walk" "jog" "run" button that you can press to adjust the speed easily. This program starts from very easy to pushing yourself as hard as you can. The first three weeks may even feel too easy, don't push yourself to extend the workout. The purpose of it is to build your muscles gradually so that you have the muscle and stamina to complete each week that follows. This program is great for first time runners (like myself) or for someon who would like to get back into shape. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll ask about that button today.