Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Impending Ins. Cancellation. Aggressive Fill. Too Tight? "just Wait It Out"? I'm Frustrated, And Need To Vent!

I was banded 05/11/2012. My insurance is being dropped 11/01/2012 due to being laid off (my warehouse merged with an affiliate). I am covered for band related maintenance until 11/11/2012, since CDPHP covers 6 months at no additional cost.

For that, I am grateful.

I had a fill appointment on Friday 10/12/12 at 4pm. Up to this point, I had three fills and had lost a total of 50+ pounds since my pre-surgery weight. I've been happy with 50 lbs in 5 months, but realized that lately I've been exceeding the 1 cup portion size, felt physically hungry more often (I'm almost always mentally hungry, but I've been working on determining the difference between the two).

The surgeon came in to visit while the PA was getting ready for the fill. He suggested that since I'm only covered for less than 1 more month, that perhaps I should consider a "slightly more aggressive fill".

To be honest, I don't know how much is in my band, and I don't care to. Each person reacts differently to how full their band is, and I feel like it's just a number which I don't need to focus on. I digress...

I agreed to the "slightly more aggressive fill", as I was told it would be covered by my insurance, and I could always come back for an unfill if need be. If I needed to get an UF over the weekend, I could go to the hospital which did the surgery (which the surgeon and PA work in the hospitals off campus bariatric unit, where I had my fill).

I had eaten a cup of food for lunch prior to my visit, as this is my personal way of combating mental hunger. (This way I don't feel like I'm "missing out" with the super restriction from a recent fill.) I was able to get the fill, drink an entire 8 oz of Water, and could touch my toes with no issues. I was not hungry at all Friday.

Saturday, I was physically hungry, but couldn't get mushies down. Instead, I had a large orange juice with Calcium and Fiber. lunch time I was still hungry, and tried a bite of pureed chili. I wasn't stuck, but ended up getting slimy for about an hour, after ONE SPOONFUL.

I called my PA, who told me this was "semi-normal" for an aggressive fill. She suggested I "just wait it out" and see how I feel by Monday. (2 1/2 days after the fill.) For the entire day of Saturday, I was able to eat one can of tomatoe Soup, with 5 crackers mushed into it.

Today, Sunday - I am not mentally or physically hungry. I do realize the importance of calories and fluids, so tried a bit of milk. Not happening! It made me slime and feel pukey for an hour. Later, I tried iced coffee, crystal lite, and orange juice - all with the same result.

I waited until 5.30, (after not eating any food since the day before, which was a can of tomatoe Soup, 6 crackers and a spoon of chili) and tried tomatoe soup, which has always been my "go to" food when I'm having issues. I got down two spoonfulls, and started to slime again.

The office is closed today, and when I called the hospital and explained the situation, they again told me to "just wait it out".

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if the surgeon, PA and hospital are all dismissing my concern?

I suppose since this was an "aggressive fill" some issues would present themselves for a few days. Perhaps I'm just worried because my other fills were only super restrictive for 24 hours or so?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not gurgling, I'm able to drink Water, and

That last bit was supposed to say:

I'm not gurgling, I'm able to drink Water, and not in any pain other than the discomfort when I slime.

It sounds to me like you're way too tight. The fact you're sliming after even liquids tells me you definitely need a slight unfill.

I would go back and insist on an unfill tomorrow. Being too tight is no way to live.

Best wishes to you.

Agree. I am surprised that you weren't on liquids for a couple days right after a fill, then mushies for a couple days. Try some hot tea. You definitely don't want to sat too tight! Hope you feel better soon.

I'll suggest a small unfill. Last time I got a fill, I got a aggressive one too and I felt the same was for like 3 to 4 days.. I still fill pretty tight but I am able to get solid foods down, with no problems most of the time. I still have my bad days sometimes when my band just doesn't want to take any food for an entire day.. Best of luck..!!!

I suppose part of the problem could possibly be that I hadn't had liquids after my fill. Because my last 3 fills went so smoothly, I went staight to Tomato Soup, as I had in the past.

I'll certainly switch to strictly liquids, and feel how a day of that goes!

Went to the PA and had a slight unfill today. They put 1 CC in on Friday, and took .6 CC out today.

I am able to drink fluids with no problem, and the surgeon suggested I get some frozen yogurt (even though it's a slider!) to get some calories in ASAP.

I was more than willing to eat some froyo, and thrilled that I am still restricted, but not closed off!

Thanks for the support ladies!