Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe it's happening

well after researching for a year, and my endless struggle to find money for the band. It's happening:eek: . my mom suprised me and has been paying off a loan for a year since she found out this is what I wanted. turns out she paid it off and got the money for me:D . I went to my first appointment and had all the testing done. I have to do a 8 week diet and send my weekly menu to my doctors by email. I also have to workout everyday 45 minutes a day everyday for the next 8 weeks:faint: . if by my preop appointment I don't lose weight they will not give me my band:( . I am slightly scared about that. I am willing to do what is needed to get healthy, but I was thinking the band would be a tool to help motivate me and curb my hunger.so a strict diet, with no help for 8 weeks is not what I expected. But I am going to have to get used to a change with the band so this will be boot camp. I am also a smoker. 6 cigarettes a day. I was planning on quiting but turns out my doctor will not work on any smokers unless they quit smoking 30 days before sugery:omg: . I will admit giving up both at the same time is going to be hard and I was planning on having my crutch. WOW! I have a lot of work to do. but to be honest I never thought this was going to happen and now that it is I am so scared. I can't turn back because the testing costs 1400 dollars and I didn't know they were going to start all of it on the first visit. I figured it was going to be a simple consultation. I was there for four hours. when I got home I just broke down:cry . I wanted this so bad and reseached it for a year. I have been on this board for 6/7 months. I just lost it once it all started to happen. (by the way I wrote down alot of questions I learned from everyone on the board and the doctor was suprised I knew so much and he was shocked that I even asked alot about his patients and surgeries.) he said alot of people come in uninformed and are not prepared. I let him know I was part of this board and that you guys help each other through alot, before and after banding. I know this is long I just need to get all of this out because I am so confused. has anyone ever felt like they might be doing something crazy? I hate that I am thinking like this. I thought I was ready and excited to start a new life. now I am just worried about passing away trying to get a life. I am sorry for the long rant. thanks for reading. And thanks for just being a great band family.:)

What a cool post. What a cool mom! My mom made my dream come true too! I waited and dreamed about this for a year. Thanks Mom!

You'll do fine on the pre-op diet because you'll know that it's not forever. We can do anything for 8 weeks, right?! And that 45 min a day thing? Um, I'd fall over dead trying! Start slowly. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can work your way up. And you can do 3 15 min sessions.

Focus on eating chicken and fish for Proteins, with steamed or raw veggies, and raw fruits. Eat 1,000 - 1,200 a day and stay away from anything white, or contains sugars. Drink, drink, drink your Water. This is a no-fail formula. In eight weeks you'll already be so excited about your progress! Then getting the band will feel like a mini vacation! hehe

I think is so awesome that you learned so much here. I have as well. Isn't it great to have a brain and that you use it?! LOL

One last thing. I broke down too. It's such a huge mix of emotions. Overwhelmed by the idea of finally being "normal" again. Overwhelmed by the thought of such drastic changes in my life. Scared to death of it failing. Feeling extreme guilt over having to spend so much when all I have to do is get control of my stupid self and lose the weight. Oh, it went on and on. You're not alone. And prepare yourself, because it gets more intense as the time draws near. This is all perfectly normal. Like Jack said... buckle up and HANG ON! You're in for the ride of your life! I'm loving mine! :)

photonut, that was such a great message. I just feel so safe around here. when I am feeling confused and have a million questions I just pop on here and someone has answered them already. I am without a doubt scared. but just knowing someone is out there giving me some of there time and encouragment makes me feel better. As for the diet I have to eat 6 servings of Protein a day. eck! I actually feel like I never ate so much before. of course I am drinking shakes as well, because eating protein 6 times a day is a bit much. I admit I am a carb freak. now why couldn't I eat carbs 6 times a day. lol. and yes I am about to fall over from the workouts. they want the 45 minutes done all at once because they want my heart rate up for at least 20 minutes. and its up there, around the ceiling I think.lol

I actually feel like I never ate so much before.

THAT is the sign of a good diet! (diet = food intake, not diet = weightloss program)

If you add up the calories you eat now, and then look at a day of eating carbs and figure up those calories, you'll see that you can't eat nearly as much for the same amount of calories. When folks say they are starving all the time, it's a really good indicator that they aren't really looking at the big picture and seeing that they really can eat a lot more if they are making the right choices. And carbs leave you hungry, and fat leaves you feeling sluggish and tired. Ask Mychevygirl.. She is preband and is losing about 3 pounds a week or more. Her secret? Protein! She's just staying away from carbs all together for now. It's amazing what Hope can motivate and strenghten us to do, isn't it? :)

I know if you eat right you can eat more. but I have to admit I am a night eater. so to eat all day is hard. But it is something I will have to get used to.