Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scare And Unsure...

(***Scared and unsure... Don't know how to edit the title haha)

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to these boards but have been learning a great deal of information! I guess I am just posting to get a little feedback and perhaps some advice. To start, like many people on here, I have been fat since I was a little girl and have always been the "you would be so pretty if you lost weight" girl, constantly insecure about my weight and my body, and always struggling with emotional eating. I just turned 30 this year and have been really re-evaluating myself, both mentally and physically. I have also really been struggling with my weight recently, feeling like I've just given up on myself, still with that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I haven't been successful because I haven't worked hard enough or haven't tried for long enough.

So at this point, I am conflicted with what seems like similar questions that many people have had of "Why can't I just do it on my own? If I have to work so hard with the band, why not save my money and do it without?" At this point I know that I must make a HUGE change but I am not sure what the best path for me is. First off I am scared like crazy because I have never had surgery in my life and have always been healthy despite my weight. If I choose the lap band, I would be self-pay and would basically be doing it all on my own. I live in South Korea at the moment and I don't plan on telling anyone about the surgery. Mostly because I don't want everyone to know my personal business, but also because it would scare my mother to death hahaha. But, this also makes me nervous about not having any kind of support (other than perhaps discussion boards like these) and that scares me to think it will be one more reason for possible failure with the band.

Anyway, I know that this is a big rambling post, but I guess my biggest questions are these - because I am mostly an emotional eater, is the lap band a viable option to consider? Also, what kind of mental process did you all go through before making the final decision to get banded?

The lap band is a tool, just like a personal trainer and a weight loss program. It will be as good to you as you are to it, but you have to do the work. I tried a lot of weight loss programs but always gained the weight back. Do lots of research and make the best decision for you! Best wishes :)

As stated, the band is a tool. You have to still do all the hard work. The band helps you feel full longer, so hopfully you don't overeat. You can still put all the wrong foods in your mouth and defeat the band. It's all up to You, in making the wise choices in the foods that go into the band.

Unfortunately, most diets are a big Yo-Yo, up n down on weight loss. I love my band since Aug 6 and it's helped me feel full and stay full longer so I don't feel like eating again for a long while. It works if you use it wisely.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

i think most of us are emotion eaters, I know I am. the weeks b surgery i got rid of all the junk food in the house and put in all the post op foods so I could just concentrat on this new plan and getting rested after surgery. Mentally that helped a lot.

I still want to nibble but there is nothing here and I am full. I like the band so far as it take a lot less food to make me feel full and that helps a lot. it is a diet like all others but unlike the others i am not hungery and I dont have to eat a ton of salads.

Good luck with your decision it was a good one for me.

line dancer

any wls is an option

if you choose to have any surgery, it will be a decision you have to make

by having gastric or sleeve or band wont make you lose weight overnight and the weight problem will be gone forever and no more emotional eating..

people have these surgeries all the time and unless they change their eating (making better choices in food) and

trying to exercise and the most important thing, stopping with excuses, they wont make themselves well

the band will help you if you help it but it is not easy and its not a miracle cure all

your past is just that, the past so leave it there and focus on today. because today is all you have

wishing you all the best

There is a psychology involved with unhealthy eating patterns, and getting to the core issues of why you have turned to food for solace is important to increase your chances of success with the band to loose weight. You must develop an alternative set of coping skills to manage your emotions.

I agree that we all do need an emotional support system, however to differing degrees. This forum can be an excellent place to receive some of that support.

The circumstances which goaded me into action to move forward with having my band placed was a race against the Type II Diabetes time clock...I was fortunate that my PCP sent me to an education class to learn how to eat healthier and get exercise to better manage my A1C level...but with marginal success.

You know yourself better than anyone, so get in touch with your reasons for wanting to have this surgery. Do your research ahead of time to understand that this is not a magic solution, but a tool to use, and it does require commitment and exercise to be successful.

Best wishes as you consider your options...

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I have been doing a ton of research about both the positives and negatives, and I guess at this point I've come to the conclusion that I am not 100% about my decision which means I need some more time to mull over this huge decision. Thank you again and I will definitely still be lurking hahaha :-)