Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

* What would you say is the most important lesson or lessons you've learned about eating since you've been banded, and how has this contributed to your weight loss?

that if i eat the wrong things (high fat/junk) getting the band would be pointless so i eat better because i want to

* How are you sustaining your motivation to continue forward?

by staying positive and using my want power. i really want to lose weight so i am doing everything i can to help my band

* If you've experienced any discouraging set back moments, how did you deal with them, how long did they take to pass-- and what sort of specific strategies might you suggest that could work?

been very lucky to not have had anything to (test me). i keep telling myself..... This is a journey, there is no expiration date.

* Have you ever worried about being a complete failure at the band, and then gotten over that worry-- if so: did you tell yourself certain things that helped or do certain activities that reassured you?

it's all up to me 100% and the decisions that i choose to make. my band will be in me forever, and i will deal with whatever happens.

* What is the proudest accomplishment you've made relative to your band journey thus far?

that i can walk around the block. i couldnt do that before my surgery

* What are you looking forward to doing next in your journey?

getting below 250.....

* Where do you see yourself 1 year from now and how are you planning to get yourself there?

id like to be under 200

* What sort of goal setting do you do in general, and how do you motivate yourself to keep going towards those goals?

i just keep going because if i dont, its not gonna happen. i have to do it

* What is the most difficult thing about having the band and what makes it worth it anyway?

its not really that hard. its worth it because i am at a weight that i havent been to in 3 yrs..

wo that was great I plan on saying the same thing as time goes by. 7 wk post op and 18 lbs down I amdoing so well. this is one diet that the harder u try the more you get.

line dancer

What would you say is the most important lesson or lessons you've learned about eating since you've been banded, and how has this contributed to your weight loss?

Portion Control, learning to weigh and measure my food and really find out what a portion is. American people eat way to much and expect way to much when served in a restaurant. I think what I have learned is if you want to be thin you have to think thin and realize that thin people do not over eat.

A picture is worth a thousand words, I keep pictures of "FAT" me and "THIN" me side by side on my Fridge, on my mirror and on my bulletin board in my office. I do not want to ever forget how big I was because I do not intend to ever go back there.

* If you've experienced any discouraging set back moments, how did you deal with them, how long did they take to pass-- and what sort of specific strategies might you suggest that could work?

I did experience discouraging set backs, I was banded in October 2010, I lost very well for the first 6 months than I injured my knee during exercise and plateaued for 7-8 months. I had to have knee surgery and it took me 4 months to recover from that. How did I stay positive, I believed in my self, I never gained during that period. What helped me most was this web site, personal friends, family and attending support groups. I lived on this site in the early months.

* Have you ever worried about being a complete failure at the band, and then gotten over that worry-- if so: did you tell yourself certain things that helped or do certain activities that reassured you?

Yes to be honest I have worried about failing, but I hate to fail at anything and that same worry has helped me be successful. I used to talk to my self every morning in the shower, I also wrote an affirmation on my mirror that said, You are Beautiful, and you can do This! I wrote it in Hot Pink Lipstick!

* What is the proudest accomplishment you've made relative to your band journey thus far?

When I could do jumping jacks! When I first started working out I was so clumsy and could not even do a stinking jumping jack. I felt like such an idiot at the gym.

OK don't laugh, but I am trying not to lose any more weight and maintain my weight. Now I know that sounds really silly coming from a once fat girl but it is harder than you think. I am trying to balance my intake and my exercise so I don't get any thinner. If I lose any more weight I will not look good. I know Tiff problem to have, I hope you all can get to this point and understand where I am.

* Where do you see yourself 1 year from now and how are you planning to get yourself there?

I am working out and trying to prove that I can tighten up this tummy of mine, it looks so so, I do not want to have any more surgery and would just like to have my thighs look just a little bit better. Think I forgot to say vanity was one of my issues. lol

* What sort of goal setting do you do in general, and how do you motivate yourself to keep going to wards those goals?

I set mini goals along the way, I have been doing this for 2 years so i set size goals. I used to buy something that was to tight and try it on weekly until it fit. I also rewarded my self when I hit goals and no not with food but with shoes and jewelry and new hair color and new hair doos etc.

* What is the most difficult thing about having the band and what makes it worth it anyway?

Learning to chew my food, I have been a nurse for 33 years. I spent many of lunch and dinner times "hurry up and eat the patient needs you" and it was hard to break this habit. But learning to chew has helped me to enjoy food and the lose of weight is worth it.

OK, now everyone knows way to much about me!

* What would you say is the most important lesson or lessons you've learned about eating since you've been banded, and how has this contributed to your weight loss?

I've learned that if I take small, slow bites I can still eat anything I want. This has contributed to my weight loss because I never feel deprived of the foods I love.

By looking at my kids and knowing this will help assure me I'm here for them for decades to come.

Plateaus sucks, and I've hit a couple, but I know they'll pass and a normal part of weight loss.

In the first couple weeks of being banded, yes, I worried like crazy. But as I saw the scale dropping lower and lower, I realized I could do this and was in complete control of losing weight. I've never even considered the possibility of failing since then. I know I will succeed.

When I haven't seen someone in a long time, they look at me in shock at how much weight I've lost. I saw an aunt this past weekend who hasn't seen me since surgery. Her jaw literally dropped and she exclaimed "Holy sh*t you've lost a TON of weight!" It was a really good feeling.

Hitting the 200 pounds lost mark... it's coming! :D

I'll be at goal and I'll have had a Tummy Tuck. I'll get there by doing what I'm already doing, eating smart and making good choices.

* What sort of goal setting do you do in general, and how do you motivate yourself to keep going towards those goals?

I set small goals. My most recent one was to hit the 150 pound loss mark, I did that. So now onto the next.

Learning how to eat healthy wasn't easy at first but it wasn't difficult, either. Overall, I don't think anything has been horribly difficult. It's totally worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This is all very inspiring and helpful to a soon to be banded person.

Thank you ladies for your responses!