Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turtles???

I have three Texas Map turtles in a 65 gallon aquarium with various fishes and they are so cute. I love turtles, but don't want to be one.

I have been sharing a lot of information with my husband regarding the information on the board, and we have come to an agreement that this is the best thing for me, but he says he will be "really mad if it does not work." So, I better make it work. Talk about motivation.

What factors do you think attribute to being a turtle verses a rabbit? Is there anything you can do to avoid being a turtle?

Oh, I just love you Jack... Would cross the seven seas with you... but I only know how to dog paddle. :)

This issue really does scare me. If putting a band around my stomach does not work, I don't know what else to do.

The majority of people are rabbits. There are some that are turtles, but I'm guessing it's 25% or less. Unfortunately, you really can't tell which you are until you make the leap. It depends on age, metabolism, past dieting history, etc, etc, etc. There's no magic formula.

Remember, the band doctors EXPECT 1-2 pounds a week. So if you're losing 1 pound a week, you're NOT a turtle... you're a rabbit. So don't expect 100 in the first year... sure, some make it that far, but a lot make more like 50. So set your expectations accordingly.

For those that lose less then a pound a week, they have to look at what they're doing & see if they need to change their behavior. If they DON'T need to change their behavior, they have to look at other issues... like hypothyroidism or Cushings. It's a long & painful road... I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Go into it assuming you're a rabbit. Hope for rabbithood... plan on rabbithood... but remember that 1 pound a week IS a rabbit!!

And if for some reason you should end up being a turtle, we've got a GREAT group of turtles that support each other fully & help each other find answers. We'll pray you don't end up in that group, but it's good to know they're there!

Good luck Poodles! The best advice I can give you is to create a plan & then work it. Get your hubby on board with planning things out & creating a new lifestyle together. :)

I am a turtle and I think the problem I have is pretty much the same as Jack's. I need to go the the gym more, and watch what I'm eating more. I'm doing well, but I could do better.

But there's alot of people who it really doesn't matter what they do that without medical help they aren't going to lose. You should catch up on VinesQueen if you haven't already.

Also... I think a big thing is not thinking you are a turtle if you have 1, 2 or 3 weeks with no loss as long as the average is 1 pound a week.

See I think I'm a turtle (sometimes) and let it discourage me because I've always times were I wouldn't loss on any diet for several weeks or sometimes only loss .2 or even a gain. But this time I do believe I'm starting to "average out" and it's imporatant not to get discouraged when you have those plat-toes.. (I can't spell - can anyone help me with that word?)

Poodles, this is an excellent question, but unfortunatley, I don't know if you will know you are a Turtle until you are one.

When I was banded, I just knew I was going to be a rabbit, I was going to be a weight loss superstar. But things didn't quite turn out that way for me... :confused:

There is of course, the possiblity that you will be a Turtle, but more likely you will be a rabbit, most people lose the "average" 1-2 pounds a week, very few actually don't. And like Cashley said, it is important to look at the average loss you have, not maintaining a weekly loss.

I think a lot of poeple have unrealistic expectations of their band and expect to lose 100 pound in six months, or nine months. And that simply isn't realistic for bandsters. I think that 50-70 pounds a year is much more realistic, so don't get discouraged if you don't drop like a Bypass patient.

Don't get discouraged when you hit those plateaus, since everyone seems to. They seem to be one's body's way of regrouping, and recompacting for the next weight loss push. I know it's easy for me to tell you to not be discouraged, but hey, that's what I do.

I really believe that if you follow the plan, learing a new lifestyle that includes a sensible diet and excersize, you will not be a Turtle.

But you know what? Even though I'm a Turtle, I think i have the most amazing list of NSVs, but only because I capture and hold onto each of them like they are some precious gift.

The wife of one of my co-workers was banded last summer. She has hit her plateau for a while now. I asked him if she was happy with her choice. His only response was that she had no idea she would have to work so hard with the band. Several other co-workers have had "bypass" surgery and dropped very quickly... but they are gaining it back... and one lady has terrible bowel problems now (impactions/such). I know that I do the "what if's" alot, and I know that no one has a crystal ball to tell me what my future will be or if I will be a turtle or a rabbit, but heck with my luck I will be in that 25% that it does not work for. I read somewhere that someone said that the band was a "good place to start", but I want it to be where I finish. Finish gaining weight, finish taking meds, finish being a bowling ball dressing like a female. I want to be done with it.

On Atkins I plateaued out for over 7 months and then just quit. Guess I won't have the option to quit with the band. So that may help out. With Atkins I started at 318 went down to 268, came up to 273 and held for 7 months, then went off the wagon and am back up to 298. Damn carbs. I am back on Atkins, trying to get my liver in shape, but figure I will do the same with the band and will plateau when I get back down 30 lbs. Will lose the weight at first rather quickly, and then will hit a brick wall. But that is just what I think now. What if I don't hit a plateau? What if... I lose all this weight and turn into a supermodel? Now those are good "What if" questions...

I will be happy to hit 250 at this point. Really happy. Totally Giddy if I ever see 200. Just hope the band will help me get there.