Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help With A Pressure Cooker!

I bought a pressure cooker several years ago, just a regular stainless one, nothing fancy. It did not come with any kind of cooking instructions, unfortunately. The instructions I have been able to find online are pretty ambiguous, so I have really only used it once. I just don't know how much Fluid to add or how long to cook anything.

If anyone has any general ideas, or better yet, any recipes you use yours with, please share! I would like to start using this thing, especially as I am going to want meats tender and juicy from now on...

Thanks in advance!

Lori

Seems like the presto pressure cooker on Walmart.com had an online instruction book.

gosh i make my hard boiled eggs in like 5 min in my pressure cooker.....i make my cranberry sauce in it at thanksgiving in 4 min....you fill the liquid up to the line on the (container) and put in the whatever and set it to cook (with pressure).....and go from there....trail and error for me. (i even fry in mine)...soup is heavenly......i am making veggie beef this weekend (cant wait)

look online and find receipes there. that is what i do

and you can always make the meals more healthy for you

by tweeking it a bit.

Hmm...ok, maybe the secret is to look up actual recipes using the cooker? I don't think mine has any lines in it, and there are no settings, it goes on the stove, you bring it to a boil and then I guess reduce the heat...see, I know nothing about how to do this.

I will look at the Presto one online and see what I can find out there.

Thanks!

Mine is like yours. Put your food in cover with Water (don't fill more that 3 quarter the way up). Put your top on and lock it in place the put the "jiggler" on the little top thing and put it on the stove on high. It will begin to build pressure, once pressure is build the top thingy will jiggle - cook for the alloted amount of time. Release pressure by tilting the jiggler with a fork once the pressure is off open it.

Mine is an older one. Good Luck

I love to make pot roast w/ veggies in mine or I make bean Soup. If I make bean soup, I can add the bag of dry Beans and whatever other ingredients and I cook for about an hour and YUMM. After your meal is done, make sure to release the pressure (as stated in the previous post) before removing the lid. I also make pot roast (recipe on the back of the lipton onion soup box for slow cookers) and it takes an hour to cook. It really is handy for making recipes in a jiffy that would normally take hours to cook. Just look up online slow cooker recipes and you should find anything you are looking for.

Mine says it always has to have at the very least 1.5 cups of liquid..I have both the old fashion rattler and an electric one

Don't move the jiggler to release pressure. That is dangerous to the max. Run cold Water over it or let it cool down naturally. Don't remove the lid until ALL the pressure is gone. I didn't once & it blew up on me. Lucky only 2 nd degree burns. Don't release pressure with the jiggler ladies. Please! Will cook your meat more tender than anything. Love mine. Use one for 40 years. Can veggies & fruit with my pressure canner. Great time saver.

Thank you all! I am going to get mine down and start using it. I graduate to real food tomorrow, so next week will be cooking experiments!

I love to make Soups and stews in mine. Lifesaver for bean soups and I make the best pork or beef ribs. Would like to try an electric pressure cooker as I currently have a stove top model.

The rib recipe is from HSN: put ribs into the pressure cooker,required amount of Water, ( mine takes about a cup of water) dump one or two bottles of your favorite BBQ Sauce on top, bring to pressure and cook for 30-40 minutes.

Fall off the bone tender !

Yummo! That sounds so good right now!