Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cook In Need Of A Change, Is This It?

So as I said I'm a cook who's over weight. Go figure. As a cook I'm constantly bombarded by food both good and bad. I've been doing research into the lap band system and really think it could help me, but I'm concerned about how it would change my "relationship" with food. Food is my passion, livelyhood, and 2nd love of my life. How have you banded masses dealt with this. Any other cooks out there? I'm going to my seminar on Nov 5. So I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using LapBandTalk

A lapband will only help you on the amount of food you choose to eat and your hunger and feelings of satiety. It wont alter your love of food at all. You will have to make better choices as to what u eat and make sure that u stick to regular meals as i am sure that 'snacking' or 'grazing' is a real temptation cooking all day long.

I see u call yourself a cook, why not a chef :) i appreciate u have to taste food, any good chef does, so u have to allow for that during the day. Plenty of Protein will keep you feeling satisfied and the band will support you, not alter you mentally so keep your love of food and use the lapband as a tool to start cooking things and discovering food that wont put on weight :)

I am not a cook but i like cooking, i prefer savoury food, i trawl the internet for low carb/low calorie recipies and try them. you adapt your love to fit in with a lapband u dont lose that love of food and cooking. Ofc if u love fast food then u do have to go back to the drawing board but otherwise i am sure u will adapt and be fine and once u have lost what u need to some of what u love most can come back into your diet !

Good luck ..

You have a interesting situation :). You will not be able to eat like u did before. Ex. You can't take normal bites you would have to take teenie tiny bites you may not even be able to eat certain foods or dry foods. BUT the lapband is a great tool and if you two learn to work togeather you can be successful! Best wishes ;)

I am not a cook by profession, but I love to cook. I have loved to cook since I was little. I would get in the kitchen with my mom and grandma and we loved prepairing meals for the family.

With just me and hubs in the house I cooked way to much and we ate it and gained weight. So I have learned to change the way I cook. I try and cook healthier. It's been a challenge- I try to change up recipes to make them healthier and for some it's worked great, others not so much.

I still love food, I just love it in smaller amounts now. I think it is possible for you to still do you job and lose weight, but it will require a great deal of dedication on your part, so make sure you are ready.

this is just my opinion...food is not bad....there is no bad foods.

its how much of a food a person eats (that makes it) bad. some foods

have higher fat or calories or sodium or whatever. some is (organic) some is this or that.......i do tire

of people (blaming the food). not that you are but heck i blamed mcdonalds for my weight but it was me doing the drive thru drive around.....

the band will help you eat less esp with fills.

you can eat what you want too but if you

choose better options and in smaller amounts, how could you go wrong?

just how i see it.

I too have contemplated this very subject. I was banded 2 days ago. Growing and cooking food has always been a huge part of my life since I was a little girl. It brings me the best memories of time spent with love ones. I am also a beer and wine lover who loves to travel. I have worked very hard and custom designed and stocked my dream kitchen too! Ritchie, your decision is a difficult one!

My final decision involved accepting the fact that I have over-consumed quantity of food for the first half of my life. I'm good. I believe that when my health and longevity improve ALL my loves in life will and can be "consumed" also. My band is the number one tool. Whole clean foods will go hand in hand with my band. Period!

Thanks everyone for your great responses. I do see how being healthy doesn't mean just eating fruits and veggies but a well balanced meal. And I can do that, I mean I already cook different food. As to the other question about being a cook rather a Chef, this is the person who is in charge and has the ability and right to change the menu or any aspect of the kitchen, staff, etc. As a high level cook myself I help advise him but still not a chef. He is in charge.

So what are some of your guys typical meal. I've heard of these shakes but not sure of what they consist of. Also do you have things you won't eat due to it getting stuck or can you just chew it up really well.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using LapBandTalk

It is important to remember that the pre op and first month post op have very specific diet requirements. Pre-To helop shrink the liver so the doctor can move around easier during the operation. Post op you have to gradually add foods back in to your food rotation. Doctors often put you on a Protein shake diet before surgery and then post since you need Protein but can't eat solids.

Once healed (1 month) my doctor did not want me drinking calories. So the Protein shakes were no longer part of my regular eating habits. Though I do occationally have a shake to hold me over until dinner (I drink it on the way to the gym from work).

My doctor wants me to be able to eat all foods. As part of my of my pre op appointments however I had to meet with a Psychologist who specialized in eating disorders. These sessions helped me identify and understand why I overeat and what foods trigger bad behaviors.

My doctor also expects a significant commitment to physical activity. Some people can loose by calorie reduction only. I am not one of those people. Believe it or not exercise is addictive. Also the more you lose the easier exercise becomes. There was a time I could barely walk through the grocery store; I am now doing 6-7 miles a day.