Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Needed The Band Because Dieting Didnt Work For Me

I see so many posts that say "just because you can eat a cup of food doesn't mean you should" and "eat just baked chicken and vegetables" and be Jane Fonda. My doctor and nutritionist are much more realistic. They understand that dieting for life is not realistic and they are helping me to live life in balance.

And before you bash me and tell me why I am failing ...I am losing and happy about my progress.

that jane fonda comment was pretty funny

heck i eat more than just chicken and veggies :)

dont think anyone would (bash you) as we all had WLS surgery too and know what you are going through

and let me add that i do not diet...yes i weigh and measure

my portions (as i got ALOT) to lose. and yep, stop at a cup of food.

seems to work for me.

all the best

ummm .....ok, not sure why you would feel you would get "bashed". Got to do whatever works for you.

I feel like everyone is different. My nutritionist does call it a diet, but she said ok you tried WW and Atkins and they didn't work, but now the KIM Diet is because it is a diet that I can stick to; something I can do for life.

I hate to say I don't measure, like many other do- some foods I do (soups and such). I count calories. If a recipe is suppose to make 5 portions then I evenly separate 5 and I eat one. So I guess it's a type of measurement. I buy boneless skinless chicken that is pre weighed so I know the weights.

No one thing is going to work for each of us. We each have to pull from others pieces and make our own plan that we can sustain. IE- So many people on this site preach about Protein Shakes, I can't do them. They give me horrible indigestion and make me feel lousy so I don't, plus they give me zero satisfaction - I am starving after drinking one and they are high calorie. Maybe that will change, but if it does I will figure out my plan when I get to that point.

The band is just my extra incentive to not cave to my human nature- last night I really wanted to eat everything I saw (PMS), but the thought of losing weight and the thought of my band stopped that want. The band is my- you don't have a choice you have to do what is best for you body reminder.

A lot of people still "diet" with the band because it is a necessary evil. I diet in the sense that I track calories and Protein, but I eat whatever I want. I also like to make sure I am getting in my required protein and there's no eyeballing that since it is important for muscle retention and weight loss.

Because you've seen the 1 cup statement, you must have also read the accompanying threads in which people are complaining of their lack of weight loss and that they are in bandster hell. They get this warning because the pouch above the band is only supposed to hold a cup, so it is not a good idea to eat 2 or 3 cups of food "because I can." It's really actually negligent to treat e band in that way.

Wow, a bit defensive? Not sure where that came from or why.

No one "bashes", but if someone asks for advice or states they're not losing then people do give their opinions and suggestions.

As for the cup of food thing, as NWgirl stated it has nothing to do with dieting and everything to do with the nature of the band. The pouch above the band isn't meant to hold more than a cup of food at a time, and stretching it isn't wise, so we're supposed to stick to a cup or less of food.

Wow a bit defensive to the word bashing. LOL I definitely have seen people bashed or given sermons for saying they can't wait to get to the green zone. Like I said, I truly understand an have not been eating more than a cup of food. I appreciate that some people want to diet. It just seems that those who are always give a sermon to those who choose to just limit their intake and eat Proteins first. It works and I am a witness. You don't have to eat cottage cheese, no Breakfast and chicken breasts everyday for the band to work. I simply shared another viewpoint and I know it is against the grain. Yes I said no bashing because we all are entitled to live and be banded as we choose. I have shared a similar thought and all the band dieters give a sermon.

When you public post on this forum, there are lots of people who are concerned and will give you back inputs to your post, whether it's right for you or not. You are the one who decides this! It's their opinion.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

I have never in the past 5 years seen anyone on any WLS forum advise another member to emulate Jane Fonda. We've all struggled with eating so much that we qualified for WLS and when we post the kind of comments that you seem to object to, it's out of our own personal knowledge that weight loss and weight management takes a lot of work and that we can't expect our bands to do all of that work. Whether you call post-op eating a diet or a lifestyle change is a matter of semantics. I do not care even a tiny bit if John Doe and Mary Smith are doing the exact same thing while John calls it a diet and Mary calls it a lifestyle, especially if they're both happy and losing weight. I'm happy to hear that your doctor and nutritionist are helping you to live your life in balance and I hope that you're able to live that way until you're laid to rest. In the meantime, keep in mind that making posts that state an expectation of bashing is (in my view) a passive-aggressive way of inviting other members to bash you.

Thanks for all the feedback. I feel as I feel and everyone is entitled to how they feel. I feel like not being realistic about how you feel keeps you where you don't want to be. I feel like I need restriction to lose weight. I see people struggling with the same issue and they will appreciate my honesty. If you don't then I understand that. So are you asking for me to bash you because you feel differently and accused me of seeking to be bashed? I won't respond in that manner because you are entitled to your opinion. I stated mine & I really don't post to even get a response. It was how I am feeling and if you disagree then so be it.

I really don't post to even get a response. It was how I am feeling and if you disagree then so be it.

A forum is, by definition, a place dedicated to public discussion of matters that concern everyone present. So if you want to post about how you're feeling and are bothered when other members voice their own feelings about it, perhaps you should consider posting your feelings in a blog rather than in a forum.

So I have to agree or go elsewhere? I didn't say I didn't respect other opinions. I explained that I am successfully managing bandster hell so I didn't need all the advice you get from a doctor. I shared that I was glad my doctor was realistic. I will continue to share my thoughts on this forum. My thought was you don't have to diet to be successful on the band. Does that offend you somehow? I didn't say your thoughts about that weren't welcomed. Opinions are welcome...those who disagree are welcome to do so. I just clarified that I am successful so my comment was not a passive-aggressive request for help. It was a statement from a different viewpoint.

jean didnt say that at all, please continue to post

your post was rather (harsh) in my mind and i speak for me only

and its surprising as you seem to be doing well.

you are right though, to make the band work, dieting is not necessary

PrettySmart, everyone will have their own opinion. The great thing about forums like this is you can express your opinion & see what other opinions are. It would be sooooo boring if everyone agreed. We would have nothing to write about, just "I agree". You made some valid points, we all have to create a diet/lifestyle that works for us.

So, please keep posting we want to here what you have to say. :)