Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 10/4. Since I'm off work and have a lot of time I have been reading a lot on here. I have now read a few posts from people who were only able to loose 20 pounds or so. Do you think this is the individuals (I hate I say it) but fault?

I was banded on 10/4. Since I'm off work and have a lot of time I have been reading a lot on here. I have now read a few posts from people who were only able to loose 20 pounds or so. Do you think this is the individuals (I hate I say it) but fault?

what do you really think?

if someone decides to not follow the dr's and nutritionists instructions

and make good food choices (and stop at 1 cup of food)

then, yes that is quite possible.

we have to help the band...it wont do all the work.

we cannot will it to work

we have to want it to work

you will do fine. read the posts from the successful ones

that keeps me going. :)

Honestly? Yes. It's simple math, if you burn more calories than consume, you will lose weight. If you make good food choices and stick to a cup or less of food per meal, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose to weight. If someone isn't losing, it's because either they're eating too much or making poor food choices. Or both.

I have met a couple people that didn't lose by no fault of their own. They were counting calories, exercising, and making good food choices yet not losing. In those few cases the problem was hormonal, medicine, or thyroid related. In those cases it's completely beyond their control and not their fault- but that is definitely the exception not the rule.

I've lost 40 something and my loss is slowing. But that's because I'm fighting my rebellion, and have been eating HORRIBLY lately.

everyone is differant meantaly and physical its hard to be on a change of life program of any kind. Fault is another word we all have heard and has caused some of the weight problem. send pray's and hugs to those who are struggling more then others and keep the ones that movitvate you in your heart. Every bite is healing not only your body but your mind and every meal is a restart on a healthier life.

Good luck and prays of support sent your way.

line dancer

Missy is 100% on target.

The reason most people don't lose weight with this is their own fault, however there area a few exceptions to that rule.

My belief is if you surgeon is worth his salt he would not have recommended or done this surgery if he thought some medically would prevent your success. Again that is how I feel I might be alone in that.

I was really worked the surgery wouldn't work for me because I know a few people who had it and it didn't work, but I have already lost more than they did. But, I have stuck to the rules. The weight loss is slow, sometimes painfully so, but to be successful you must stick to it. You must stick to the lapband guns.

Like Missy said as long as you are spending more calories than you taking in your will lose.

My personal opinion... yes. The band controls my hunger and how much I can eat as long as I make the correct choices, and exercise.... I lose weight. I assume it works this way for everyone so when it doesn't I also assume they are not following the LB "rules". Of course you know what they say about AssUMe? I'm sure there are some exceptions but for the most part the band works if you work the band.

I agree with everyone here. If you live the banded lifestyle then you should succeed. Yes, there are cases of problems that are no fault of the patient but the percentage is very low.

The biggist challenge is committing to change. It is not easy nor is it the quick fix that some believe. It takes a hell of alot of discipline and wantpower, but it is so very worth it.

I've had a fill since I last replied, so I'd like to make another comment...

Part of not losing may be more than simply making poor food choices. It may be that you're not at the right fill level. Some Drs have lousy follow-up program, so a person may end up being under filled and then surprised that they're not losing weight. Other people may be over-filled, constantly throwing up, and then give up and not go for another fill later because they're scared to have that horrible experience again.

Since I had my fill (yesterday) I suddenly am not as hungry. I was attributing all my bad food choices to rebellion. But quite frankly, I think I just needed a fill. Or maybe it's both...

Sorry but I believe that if you do not lose weight it is because you are eating more calories than you are burning.... If you are an active person you can eat more. I didnt exercise formally during my major loss period of 22 months and I was still able to lose over 200 lbs. Its because I tailored my calories to 1000 each day which took in account my burning capability. Now that I am close to goal I am more active and could afford a few hundred more calories and still lose.