Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery In 4 Days & Nervous About Gas!

Hi all! So I am finally getting the lap band on Friday (woohoo!) but I'm nervous about the gas pains. Is there any way to avoid them or at least minimize them as much as possible? I am a big baby when it comes to pain, and I've heard the gas pains can be awful. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Hi all! So I am finally getting the lap band on Friday (woohoo!) but I'm nervous about the gas pains. Is there any way to avoid them or at least minimize them as much as possible? I am a big baby when it comes to pain' date=' and I've heard the gas pains can be awful. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks![/quote']

I'm having surgery Thursday. I have the same worries. Hope someone has an answer.

Depending on your pre op diet. I am allowed 1 meal a day and 2 shakes My mom swears by pineapple for gas when having abdominal surgery ive had gall bladder out and i tried it. It worked for me. Sounds crazy i know so right now im having some pineapple chunks

Hi all! So I am finally getting the lap band on Friday (woohoo!) but I'm nervous about the gas pains. Is there any way to avoid them or at least minimize them as much as possible? I am a big baby when it comes to pain' date=' and I've heard the gas pains can be awful. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks![/quote']

I'm being banded on Friday also and this is my main worry :). A lot if people have said to get gas x strips or chewables!!

The best advise I can give you for the gas pain is walking as much as possible! It may be very uncomfortable but it's the only thing that really works I tried it all!! Gas x, pineapple juice, peppermint tea. But nothing worked just walk walk and walk!! Oh and take your meds!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Walk soon after surgery and walk often. Almost no gas pain for me. My issues were with meds from the surgery. Almost no pain at all after the 1st night! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice! Fingers crossed that walking does the trick!

Try peppermint tea

Gas pain was not a big problem for me, however there is nothing you can do pre-op to prevent it. It's leftover gas from the operation, it's pumped in to sorta inflate your abdominal cavity to allow the surgeon a little more room to work. The gas that gets left behind will normally move/rest up high on the diaphragm, that presses on the vagus nerve, when the vagus nerve is stimulated it tends to send a pain signal to your neck,shoulders,and upper back..like between your shoulder blades.

Gas X strips will do nothing for this type of gas pain, the post-op gas will eventually be absorbed by the body. Gas X only helps with intestinal gas pain. Two completely different things.

So I was banded yesterday afternoon and the gas pains have ranged from moderate to severe. But one think I found online which does significantly help is putting a heating pad on my shoulder. It minimizes the worst pain - doesn't go away but makes it bearable.