Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Consultation w/Dr. Bauman over...

I had my first consultation with Dr. Bauman yesterday. I also had my first appointment with Diane, the nutritionist... Man, you don't eat much!!! LOL!!

How are the Protein Shakes? Are they super nasty??

My surgery looks like it will be the end of June right now. Unfortunately they said they are having trouble with people who have my insurance. I have Premera BCBS and it is a covered benefit but they send it to BCBS of NC first then they deny it and Dr. Bauman was saying it takes a really long time for him to get reimbursed...

I like all the staff I met and dealt with and I liked Diane the nutritionist, but I am not sure how to take Dr. Bauman... What did the rest of you think of him?

How did your first consult go? It was very very quick. I thought he would go over more than he did... I had a bunch of questions for him but I didn't ask one. I thought he would talk a bit, and answer most of them so I save them for the end. But he went on about the insurance, asked a couple of questions, listened to my heart and off I went to see Angie. Frankly I was so shocked that that was all the first consult was I forgot to ask my questions then...

I think part of the problem was I had the day really built up in my head as the first step of this big journey, etc... and it wasn't really that big a deal so maybe it was a bit of a letdown? I also thought surgery could be scheduled much faster as I have everything done that is needed. Now I just have to wait for insurance approval... which they called and they told them it was covered at 100%.

Well, didn't mean to write a book!

Thanks!!!

I'm only guessing, but he may have figured you've already done your research or at very least been to an information session and didn't have any additional questions? ... especially in light of your pre-op stuff being nearly done?

OOOH! Now I cant wait for tomorrow at 3 for my appt! I heard that Dr B has a dry sence of humor. I should get along well since I have an sarcastic sence of humor. :)

Dr. B is great. He does have a dry sense of humor and it takes a couple of times to really feel comfortable with him. I have seen him so much that him and I just click now. He is a funny guy and nice to talk with. You really need to start asking questions while you are there because he wont drill them out of you believe me. Make sure when he is sitting there on the computer looking at things to start asking away dont be shy!

Angie

How long did it take to get your surgery dates? I am told that even though I have all my prework done, it will still take until about the end of June the beginning of July...

I was told about a week for Dr. B to sign off on all the paperwork, 30 days for insurance approval, and then 6 weeks to surgery day...

Seems so long. I guess it really isn't, but someone misinformed me that my surgery date would be 4 weeks from yesterday... or I misunderstood...

so that extra 6 weeks or so seems so far away...

I started out at around the same time as you and I had my surgery on the 30th of June. So yeah it takes that long, but, I didn't have anything at all done for my first consult. So it took me from the end of March until the End of June to get my surgery. I am so happy I had it then so I could recoop and be ready for the kids to start back school. I didn't have to worry about them in school or me running around like a chicken with her head cut off. It will be here before you know it.

Angie

Hi!

When I met with the nurse at Dr. Bauman's office yesterday I was told that you don't stay overnight in the hospital, but all the literature they gave me said that LapBanders stay one night...

How long were most of you in there?

It may depend somewhat upon what time the surgery is scheduled. You have a barium swallow after surgery. If your surgery is early, you can have the swallow and go home. If your surgery is later, you may have to wait until the next day to have the swallow before you go home.

Dr. V said he would do mine day surgery, that I'd be done and heading home around 6 p.m. the same day.

Hello! I did stay one night when I had my surgery, but I think that was because I was self-pay and it was included with the cost. The reason that I think that is because Dr. Bauman asked me if I wanted to stay for the night, and if it wasn't included I don't think I would have had a choice.:) Since I live over an hour and a half away and it was already paid for, I figured, what the heck, why not stay and be waited on a little bit?:biggrin1: So, I don't know how that works if your insurance is paying, but I did get to stay one night. I should say though that I could have definitely gone home the day of surgery with no problems whatsoever. (In fact, I thought something was wrong because I felt so "normal.")

Oreilly hello,

I had a rny with dr bauman last month. I started the process in october but I didn't finish my preops until December (personal preference). I really think the volume of patients seeking surgery is growing and they cannot accomodate everything.

I will tell you, they are a stickler for their $$. I have United Health Care and they pay 100% and they still made me pay the full consult fee. The nutrionist isn't covered at all so I used flex spending for that.

I really didn't use dr b for his personality, I went to him because of his skills and results. The ladies on here think he's funny and all, which he maybe but i haven't seen that side of him.

I was there yesterday too and my appointment was very rushed. I didn't get to ask about exercise. I see the nutrionist next week so I'll ask her.

He's really tough overall, I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and it was an eternity. I'd rather go home afterwards, however, you cannot take the morphine pump with you. He will push you hard to push yourself. I found this out.

Good Luck. Maybe you should attend some more seminars or things if this isn't the right fit? I went to an OB I disliked while I was pregnant and it was a miserable experience. I will never do that for the sake of the insurance ever again.

Jen

I also have surgery scheduled with Dr. Bauman on April 21st. I'm really excited and was a little disappointed that he was so quiet on my first visit. After seeing Diane (the nutritionist) and talking to his staff and others, I feel very confident he's the surgeon for me. Looking forward to all the good things and better health I know are waiting for me if I'm willing to work for them (and I am!) Good luck with your surgery and new life.

Wow such exciting things going on around here....Now we just need to get everyone to meet up w/ us at one of our outings....

Good Luck on all the upcoming appts...

I have only meet Dr. B once and I didn't get the funny side of him either. So I can't talk from alot of experenice but he good at what he does. I am just glad there are so many doctors in our area that can treat poeple for this. There are some area of even NC that don't have any surgeons and have to come to Charlotte/Concord.

Again GOOD LUCK!!!! I can't wait to see how your journey's go and thanks for including us in them.

Gosh, I don't know how I've missed you guys....was beginning to wonder if any NC bandsters were out there. Question - how much does Dr B charge for fills? I do know that he fills Mexican docs patients but haven't called his office b/c he is 2-3 hrs away. Anybody out there near Burlington/Greensboro/Chapel Hill area? Leigh

Gosh, I don't know how I've missed you guys....was beginning to wonder if any NC bandsters were out there. Question - how much does Dr B charge for fills? I do know that he fills Mexican docs patients but haven't called his office b/c he is 2-3 hrs away. Anybody out there near Burlington/Greensboro/Chapel Hill area? Leigh

There is one in Winston that is used by a couple of ladies on here...Dr. Gonzales (I think is his name.) There is actually a thread w/ his name and number if I can remember correctly.

I do not think Dr. B does fills for patients in Mexico...if memory serves correctly.