Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, Been To The Seminar Today

I finally got a seminar in today. This is my 3rd try. Each time I went before they had changed the date and I did not know until I got there.

My insurance requires that I do 6 months of WW(ect) while under the monthly care of my regular Dr. for weigh loss also. I started that about a week ago. So it will be awhile before I can have surgery. I also have to lose 10% of my body weight while on WW. I have tried many times to lose, even WW(weight watchers) but could only lose about 20 pounds then it would not move down anymore for nothing(weeks on end).

So I know that this site is more for the lap band but what about the sleeve, anyone? The dr at the seminar says that he won't tell anyone which sugery to have but he made it seem like the sleeve was the better choice...he says is has less risk than the lap band and that he does about 35% lap band and 65% sleeve. He said that weigh loss was better with the sleeve.

......I am tore now as to which I might want to have done.

It's very much a personal choice. The big misconception is that the Sleeve or Bypass make it somehow easier to lose weight than the band. That isn't true. All three surgeries have their pros and cons, but the one thing they all have in common is that you must change your eating habits to healthy ones for a lifetime in order to successfully lose weight with any of them. If you keep eating the same unhealthy way you always have, you won't succeed losing weight regardless of which surgery you choose. WLS is a tool, not a magic cure for fat. The work is always ours to do, not the WLS.

I would strongly suggest researching both procedures and see which you feel is best for you. Education is going to be your biggest asset when making this very big decision.

Best wishes with whichever you decide on.

I have been reading anything I could about this for awhile now. I went to WW last year for about 3 months and done just what they said. I walked a hour a day 6/6 days a week. Only to sa,e the same weight within about few oz from the first weighin to the last one I went to. I was eating more calories by eating the points number they gave me than I was before I start..I told them that only to be told that my body had to get use to the healthy lifestyle..I was told that I need to eat my points or I would not lose when I asked about dropping the points down some. Some days I would eat something just to get in my points for that day.........If I could lose just a pound or two a week I feel like I could stick with no soda,sweets and less fatty red meats (I dont eat bread much) but when you give all that up and not lose its hard to keep it up. I am not trying to get out of all the hard work like turning down foods I like now or exercise. I just need some extra help..

I have to work on no soda so I am not even going to start with the diet soda at all, just going to none at all. I have cut it back to one can a day and next week to none at all.

He said that sleeve takes out all the hormones/ect that makes you feel hungery, and that the risk was lower with it. I have acid reflux and I am trying to find out which surgery would be best for that...

434teresa,

Hard decisions to make. Wls has to be used along with a healthier you! Good choices and a decision once and for all to be healthy. The sleeve has malabsorption issues that the band does not have but the band is much less forgiving. Research all different types of wls and make an informed decision. You'll be fine either was. Keep us posted.

I am ready and have already started on making some changes. I usually jump in head first but this time I am cutting things out one by one. Doing weight watchers you can have about thing even sweets but my goal is to have non of that going in my mouth by the end of this month. After this week there is no more soda's. By the 3rd friday in this month i am going to be doing 30 full minutes of exercise a day..so that is my oct goals. then for dec ia m going to try for no red meats, just chicken and fish pretty much. by the end of nov I hope to be able to give up drinking ANYTHING with my meals..I have been doing that all my life so its going to be hard to brake that one.