Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Had Only Known About The Restriction Issues..,...

Would you have still gotten the lap band or would you have gotten the sleeve?

I have had no problems with my band, and it is less invasive surgery.

I do know about the restriction issues

b/c I have research LBS extensively. I 'm being banded Oct 15.

There are only restriction issues if you allow them. If you're not happy and need it loosened, you get it loosened. If you don't mind not being able to eat certain things, then you just deal with it.

I've been banded for 9 months and have zero restriction issues. I still eat anything and everything I want.

what restriction issues?

you take small bites, chew alot and go slow........no problems...

4 months out.....going strong

I welcome the restricktion i keeps me on track. I guess it would depend on the issue you r talking about.

Line-dancer

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. What I mean by problems is since I have gone through surgery and am healing, I do not feel the same restriction as I did when I first got home. I am so scared that as my diet increases I will gain weight. I guess I did not realize there was a period where weight gain could be a possibility. It is easy to lose weight on liquids but the challenge is starting to introduce solids again.

I have no issues either. I had some restriction pretty much from the start. You need to Eat healthy and fill up lean protien and veggies. I knew the process from attending some classes pre-band and doing some research. My hospital had GREAT presurgery education about the band so I knew exactly what to expect. Could not be happier and would not change a thing.

Really pay attention to your hunger. Are you hungry or do you just want to eat. It isn't always easy, but it is very doable.

Best of Luck to you!

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. What I mean by problems is since I have gone through surgery and am healing, I do not feel the same restriction as I did when I first got home. I am so scared that as my diet increases I will gain weight. I guess I did not realize there was a period where weight gain could be a possibility. It is easy to lose weight on liquids but the challenge is starting to introduce solids again.

I never gained weight. I was very strict with myself until I got to the green zone... And then after that as well because I liked the results. But there is no reason to gain weight if you eat what you are supposed to.... It just takes more self control.

I Weighed my food, counted calories and dug deep on more then one occasion to make sure I made this work.

We're you led to believe the band was some kind if miracle ? If so I am sorry you were not informed because it's not. It's a tool and it will get you 70% of the way there... You need to do the rest.

It is normal for your levels of restriction to change. Sometimes they change because of hormones, TOM, weather, how well hydrated you are ............ the list goes on.

It is certainly normal for them to change the further out you are from surgery. I also think it is normal to be worried about that and about potential weight gain. Even if we are told presurgery that the period after surgery is about healing not weight loss we skip over that part in our excitement. It is important to remember that this is a process and it takes time. In the same way that you didn't gain overnight you also won't lose overnight.

Stick to what your Dr has told you to eat.,make healthy choices,do some exercise, and the weight will come off

Thanks for the kind advice all. I did not view it as a miracle but if it could not help me I would not have gotten it. I am willing to do the work but do expect the assistance of the band.

I never gained weight either post op, there have been fluctuations by a few pounds day to day but it was mainly Fluid. Once I was on solids I stuck to the rules with my food choices and no more than one cup if food per meal. Some days it was extremely hard as I'd be hungry all day but I would sip my fluids and keep myself active and busy. Sure there were some days where I ate between meals but I would snack on cucumber slices or carrot sticks. It's really hard when you're constantly hungry till you start getting the fills but I know I had my lapband put in because I was so so over being so overweight and and I was going to give it 110% then some to stick to my new rules and healthy eating, it's amazing how much willpower you can muster up when you really really want the weight off and you have this tool to help and a Bariatric team behind you you don't want to disappoint either with all the work they put in to seeing you succeed.

I started this journey at 366 pounds and this morning my scales read 301.6 pounds, I've come such a long way these past four or five months and I wouldn't have been able to do it without the band.

This journey is a new healthy journey and we need to make changes every day, mentally too, and if we can do that from the first day of being banded each week gets easier, speaking from personal experience.

Thanks for the kind advice all. I did not view it as a miracle but if it could not help me I would not have gotten it. I am willing to do the work but do expect the assistance of the band.

The band will give you the assistance you seek but until you get to the green zone it's you that has to find the strength and willpower to give the band assistance. It's a slow process but a fantastic one when you hit green zone.

That is so encouraging. I am going to fight through this hunger. I just did not realize that the feelings of fullness would wear off. I have come too far to let this go.

Would you have still gotten the lap band or would you have gotten the sleeve?

I knew ahead of time about the life changing requirements for successful weight loss with the band...and felt then, and still feel today that it was a very small "sacrifice" to regain my health.

A wise bandster I met by chance while I was still deliberating about having my band placed helped me put it all into perspective. She asked me what was more important to me...eating everything I wanted to in what ever quantity I wanted or a few minutes of disciplined eating three times a day?

My answer to that question was decided in an instant...and I've never looked back...or had any regrets for my decision!