Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until You Saw A Difference?

In your self during your weight loss. I've been getting comments (especially recently!) and they do make me very happy and motivate me. But I don't see it in myself, I think because I have so much to lose :P

I didn't start getting comments about my weight loss until I'd lost 30-40 lbs. The only way I could see any difference in myself was to look at "before" and "now" photos side by side. And to be perfectly honest, I still have days when all I can see in the mirror is the fat girl. I'll catch sight of my reflection in window and think, "Who is that? She looks familiar somehow..."

I got banded the end of April and the first of June school was out...so I didn't see any of my coworkers until school started in Aug. By then I had lost about 40 pounds and really got some great comments. It has been slower to see loss on myself. The other day I was brushing my teeth and finally (after 50 pounds) saw the weighloss. I noticed that my face really looked thinner. Don't get discouraged. I think we look at ourselves all the time and it's hard to see. I just keep looking at the scale and watching the numbers go down...and for now that makes me very happy.

I would say around the 30 or 40lb mark but even then it didnt seem like a lot because I was still over 200lbs. Now that I am 183 and still losing and it has taken me three years to get to this place, I still feel overweight. One day you will look in the mirror and be like omg.

I'm only banded aug 15th. Lost a total of 33 (including pre-op) But I don't see much, but my clothes for loose and feel more energetic. And that's what counts!!! The way I feel.

I want the scale to move, believe me!! But I'm taking it one day at a time. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great!!

having a larger bmi then most, and being short and most likely looking as wide as i am tall, i am assuming its hard to notice a difference because of the large size that i am. i can tell by my clothes being smaller and getting looser. (i dont judge by the scale). i look in the mirror and cant see it but that is as jean says, the fat person still looking at me.

one day i will be able to look in the mirror and like what i see. one day. its getting closer every day.

I would go to the store and try on clothes: 1) see what size I was at, 2) when your clothes fit you look a lot smaller. Many of us are used to wearing baggy clothes to cover the fat.

For me it was when I bought new clothes that fit. Like Honk said when the clothes fit (not baggy like we use to wear) you notice.

I still struggle with this, even having lost almost 150 pounds. I catch my own reflection in store windows and I pause thinking "holy cow that can't be me!". I'm still shocked when I try on clothes 6-7 sizes smaller than I was wearing last winter and they fit.

Pictures are how I put it in perspective. I have a folder where I keep pictures of myself starting from a month before surgery up until recently. I take a new picture once a month. It's only when I look at those pictures next to each other that I really see how much I've changed.

My mom pulled out a picture today and it hit me as to how heavy I was in my butt, boobs, and stomach especially kind of like those "weebles wobble and they don't fall down!" Remember those little toy people? So, that picture put my image into perspective. My eyes still haven't adjusted to my 174 weight from 268. Even though I wear smaller sizes it is hard to put the two together.