Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member Seeks Reassurance

Hi everyone!!

I am scheduled for surgery on April 13th with Dr. David Kim at North Hills Hospital. I've been waiting a long time for this day and now after reading some of the posts on here I am FREAKING OUT :omg: .. Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. How is the post op pain? What can I expect the first few weeks?

Thanks,

Kathy

Congrats! My post op pain hasn't been that bad. Taking it easy in the first couple of weeks is a must. I was put on mushies when I left the hospital and I am doing good and down 6lbs. Good luck to you!

Hi Kathy!

I'm a Kathy too. I am 2 weeks post band and I'm doing great. The worst part of the surgery for me was the pain from the trapped gas. I had to sleep in a recliner for the first 2 nights because I couldn't lay down flat, but I'm already able to sleep on my stomach now. So far so good for me. Good luck to you.

Hang in there you will do fine. A lot of people on this site seem to enjoy negative stuff. My suggestion is to stay away from that, it will just scare you and make you second guess.

You do need to be aware of things both positive and negative and weigh them out. The way I look at it, is to be informed and be careful who you ask your questions to and what you read.

I am now 5 weeks post op and feeling great!

I was freaking out too Kathy. Save yourself a lot of grief - it's not anywhere near as bad as you're thinking - I promise. I'm a worrywort so I spent hours reading about complications, etc. Freaked myself out to the point I was questioning going forward. As a self-pay it was hard enough to take that huge step. I am 20 days post-op and feel great. I went shopping at a mall 2 days after surgery - and I had surgery in Mexico! lol Went to a shopping mall in Mexico! Took a Mexican taxicab ride to the mall! I speak NO Spanish! lol Take a few deep breaths and relax. You're going to be fine. BTW, I've lost 17 pounds in the last 25 days. How many have you lost in that amount of time? I'm not being mean I'm just reminding you WHY you're considering surgery in the first place. Here's the bottom line: You know your body better than anyone. Have you ever had surgery before? Did you have any complications? If so, were they related to your health or the surgery? If you haven't had any problems in the past it's a pretty good bet that you won't have problems with this surgery.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Post-op was a piece of cake. :D

Well tomorrow will be 1 week post-op for me. I only had to take pain med the first 2 days. I have been able to sleep on my stomach somer the last 2 nights.

I even went out shopping the day after surgery, and the next and the next.....but by Saturday, I did need to rest some.

You will be fine and you will be glad you had the surgery done.

Good luck.

I'm currently going through my second post-op (my band slipped a few weeks ago). I'm not telling you that to scare you, I'm telling you because even doing it twice I have absolutely no regrets. The band is awesome!

As far as post-op pain goes, I haven't taken any pain meds since the second day after surgery. It's WAY easier than a c-section or a back surgery. I'm still a little tired and sore, but every day it gets better.

congrats on your upcoming date .. I had one night of gas pain .. the rest was cake

Being nervous is normal. You just wait until you start to see the weight come off. I didn't have much post-op pain. I had to take one pain pill and that was because I had a headache after I woke up.

It is the best decision I ever made for myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches